August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Optimism Gauge 2014/5  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

As I've said before, it annoys me that Lerner's poor decisions seem to make people look upon Ellis more favourably.

I think Ellis was bad for the club I am not looking on him favourably.  He was bad ,  lerner is worse

I think Lerner started well, got his finger's burnt and got progressively worse to the levels of Doug in his final (no refreshments for staff) days at the club.

Hutton, Okore, Senderos, Stevens, Grealish, Richardson, Cole, N'Zogbia, Gardner, Bent, Kozak were all absent from last season (or played very little part), and should all get a fair amount of game time this term.

Whilst we won't set the world on fire, I think we'll have enough to see off the drop finishing around 14th or so.

If we can add someone like Ki to the midfield, and maybe a quality wide player - on loan if need be - I think we'll be around 10th - 12th.

• Like 2

whether players are young and hungry or old and topping up the pension

it makes no difference with a negative Scottish moyesalike manager.

lamberts dour tones will never motivate a team hence headbanger keane coming in.

we have as much chance avoiding relegation with a female coach.

I think the optimism gauge will be fully tested on Saturday. How many can be bothered to go to the friendly? In the past we have had over 20,000 for similar fixtures at similar times. I reckon we will do well to shift 15,000 for this one, even for tickets starting at a tenner. Even the Malaga game last year we had over 22,000 on the back of awful season, yet there was still some hope that Lerner and Lambert had a plan. Oh dear.

Well I was fairly pessimistic but I think that's because I've been so focused on Villa over the last few months. Leicester, Burnley, QPR, Sunderland, WBA, Crystal Palace, Southampton and even Swansea arguably are equal to or worse than us on paper.

I think we'll be absolutely fine this year by the end but it'll still probably be a bit of a shit struggle. I think it works in our favour that the majority of the country has written us off as a shambles because we can spring a surprise against that sort of attitude

Honestly I think we're in the bottom 6 lottery.

If injuries / form returning from injuries go well, we'll stay up quite comfortably.  If it all goes tits up we'll be bottom.  

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, and I think it's a coin toss between 19th and 16th.  Looking at it objectively as I can, we're the new Wigan.

Seriously what is the point of us anymore?

We are the fodder that the all important "Champions" League teams get to beat every week, just like the rest of the bottom 14 clubs in the league. We just make up the numbers and then add a small modicum of excitement at the end of the season if there's a relegation fight and there's no crucial match to decide 4th place. Because getting 4th place once and into the "Champions" League is the equivalent of winning the FA cup and League cup double 10 years in a row.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Seriously what is the point of us anymore?

We are the fodder that the all important "Champions" League teams get to beat every week, just like the rest of the bottom 14 clubs in the league. We just make up the numbers and then add a small modicum of excitement at the end of the season if there's a relegation fight and there's no crucial match to decide 4th place. Because getting 4th place once and into the "Champions" League is the equivalent of winning the FA cup and League cup double 10 years in a row.

you missed out the bit where we beat arsenal, man city and chelsea last season, fueling the "the prem is brilliant cos anyone can beat anyone" fire

Ive been a villa fan for 25 years and i have never felt so negative about an up coming season as now...i think there is a huge chance of us being relegated..

A victory against Stoke and a few new signings will change the mood considerably. Keep the faith.

Gent, you predict 17-20?

Me disappoint!

:( I am sorry, I was feeling a little bit down when I made my vote. I based my vote on the Chesterfield/Groningen friendlies, lack of new signings (recently) and the potential departures of key players. I have revised my vote. UTV.  :D

I actually believe we could challenge for the top 8 IF we have some luck with injuries and bring in one or two more players.

• Like 1

Ive been a villa fan for 25 years and i have never felt so negative about an up coming season as now...i think there is a huge chance of us being relegated..

A victory against Stoke and a few new signings will change the mood considerably. Keep the faith.

Gent, you predict 17-20?

Me disappoint!

:( I am sorry, I was feeling a little bit down when I made my vote. I based my vote on the Chesterfield/Groningen friendlies, lack of new signings (recently) and the potential departures of key players. I have revised my vote. UTV.  :D

I actually believe we could challenge for the top 8 IF we have some luck with injuries and bring in one or two more players.

Would those one or two more players happen to be Messi and Ronaldo?

Would those one or two more players happen to be Messi and Ronaldo?

I knew somebody would sardonically suggest those names.  :D There is nothing much outside the usual top 6/7, it is not impossible with a good bit of fortune. 

• Like 1