August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Optimism Gauge 2014/5  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

the way i look at it, we appear to have strengthened all over the park from the end of the season, or at least increased our options and with tekkers and libor kozak due back sooner rather than later, i'm liking the way things are looking....

i'm particularly liking our defensive line up relative to last season.... hutton vlaar okore sissokho just has a much stronger feel to it.... with a quality keeper like guzan behind them and a genuine DCM in front of them in sanchez that seems like a defence that will keep us in games this season.... and with reasonable back up in all of those positions - lowton / bacuna at RB, senderos, clark, baker, herd in the middle and richardson / clark / bennett at LB, even the inevitable injuries scare me less....

going forward, i think we're going to be better as well... sanchez will free up delph and westwood if he plays going forward and then we have creativity for the first time in a while in zoggy, cole, richardson, grealish.... most importantly, it gives PL the ability not to play gabby and andi week in week out if they're not performing....

sure we're missing a real strike threat, but DB9 is still a scorer, and we will have our two front liners back soon.... at that point, we're as good as anyone outside of the top six or seven....

bring on the season and UTV....

well said mate UTV
  • Like 1

I think our back four, with the possibility of Sanchez in front of it makes us a lot stronger than last season.

We have added exprience, although I feel we are a creative player or two light still. While Richardson, N'Zogbia and even Cole when fit, give us more guille than last term, creating chances may be a problem still.

That said, with a midfielder capable of winning the ball, you'd hope we would see our use of it improve, allowing our full backs more licence to press on and provide service to the front men. Snachez will unshackle Delph and his attacking intent, which is a good thing. I really want to see him driving the game on from a position 10-15 yards higher up the pitch.

With both Benteke and Kozak to come back too, one would hope that we will be fairly steady in mid-table.

• Like 2

If we can get 7 or more points from our first three games then I think we can surprise some of the big teams in our horror run of fixtures and come out stronger the other side.

We have some very good players to come back into the side still, great start to the season yesterday bar the nervy first 10 minutes or so.