August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Optimism Gauge 2014/5  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

we're ****

dont buy in to the "its only preseason" excuses yesterday, i see every problem that we had last year still exists, and im not convinced there are 2 shitter teams than us this year

unless keane works and the players all turn up at stoke looking extremely motivated, which again based on yesterdays lethargic stroll around the park i dont see, then its going to be a long hard shit painful to watch season

still dont think lambert knows who his best 11 is or in what formation to play them

I mean the options we'll have at home to break teams down with N'Zogbia and Cole in the team and a big threat from set pieces if we have Kozak and Beneteke to go with Vlaar, Senderos all in the box against opponents who concede a lot from them. I mean we can put a team out to be effective against our opponents. Not rely on pace when teams sit deep, pressure them up the field and let them give away free kicks or corners, we'll make them pay for it.

Keane will keep the team on their toes in training, get the compeitition for places very real. I just imagine the entire environment in the dressing room is so different. 4 new experienced voices in there. 

I think a lot might depend on how strong other teams are, we're hoping that at least three are worse than us

We'll be competing with Palace, WBA, Sunderland, Swansea, QPR, Leicester, Burnley, Hull and West Ham and, to be fair, none of them look any better than us at this moment. Finish above that shower and we're 11th.

I think we'll have enough to see off at least 3 of them, so I don't see us going down so somewhere between 11th and 15th for me.

There is always a couple of teams who do better than expected. Out of them teams there are a couple that are good defensively, WHU, Palace, QPR last season. We can't defend and can't attack, we create nothing. Joe Cole will help but in how many games? He's already injured.

What worries me is that our midfield isn't expressing itself in games that don't mean anything, we aren't passing on the floor we are still shit scared in possession of the ball. Mark Hughes managed to turn Stoke into a passing team, just don't understand what is done in training and why the players can't string passes together.

I'm that concerned I think we will finish bottom of the league unless something changes or we get in new personnel for the middle.

There are always a couple of teams who do better than expected, indeed and we will be one of them. Really tempted by a big bet on us to be in top 10 with a view to hedging my bet if/when odds half during the season. 

Injuries hit us hard last season, add to new signings and returning experienced players I think the whole dynamic of the club has changed for the better. We've competition now. 

• Like 2

I voted with my heart and said 13th - 16th as had I have gone with my head it would have been 17th - 20th but I can't quite bring myslef to accept relegation before a ball has been kicked.

There probably should have been another option of realist as sadly I would no longer class anyone who thinks this great club will again struggle and be in the lower quarter of the league as a pessimist. How sad how low this great club has sunk.

• Like 1

I have never wanted a premier league season to start less. I just remembered the feeling of how any wins last season were always followed by such disappointment. I can be forgiven for not reupping for more of the same this season, or in reality, something a bit worse. The players are sterile personality-free background characters in a Mary Worth comic, or unlikeable mercenaries. 1/10

• Like 2

No optimism and very little interest in the upcoming season as things stand. I subscribed to AVTV last summer and enjoyed watching the pre-season matches, this year I haven't bothered with any of it.

We're up shit creek.

• Like 1

I think there is money to be made spreadbetting Villa points total. You can buy at 39.5 and we've managed 41 & 38 the past two seasons. Hardly much downside tbh. We could have a good season and get into mid 40's.