August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Optimism Gauge 2014/5  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

Okore, Cole, Richardson, Senderos, Grealish, Gardner, along with Bent and Hutton...all "new" players basically, and Grealish looks especially promising. Benteke and Kozak due back soon...

I think that despite the uncertainty regarding the sale and the bare bones player investment, we are looking a stronger side than this time last year. 

We have a good blend of youth and experience, and I think if we can get a few decent results early on, the team won't be under that constant pressure of last season.

I don't believe we are real relegation candidates this year, and I couldn't say that last year.

5.5/10

Edited by limpid
added poll
  • Like 1

Before yesterday i was optimistic , looking at the compeition for places i thought a 10th - 12th place finish was possible , but yesterday was as bad as anything last season.Worried now that a slow and difficult start may set the rot in 5/10

I'm fairly optimistic. I think Richardson will do a job, and N'Zogbia will provide a boost. Hoping Vlaar stays put, and I think he will.

Ooh, I forgot Charles.

6/10!

I'm not sure what I prefer, players who are "young and hungry" who, despite the fact they lack the experience and quality, might just give their all for the shirt - or - the bomb squad, who have experience but are probably so dismayed at their treatment by the club that they may not really give a toss about it. Having said that, those players may just have to perform to attract themselves a new employer.

Either way, it is not a good situation to be in. For me, we are in a worse position than last season because we'll be starting without our best player. I can see us being in the bottom 6 by Christmas and after that is all down to whether Lerner wants to invest some money in order to keep a Premier League club up for sale. If he doesn't we will have every chance of becoming a Championship club.

Edited by villarocker

We have a poor squad

We have acquired poor players this summer

We will not be improving the quality any more thus summer

The decent players we have are at risk of leaving

We are going down

• Like 2

would have gone 5.5-6 before I watched the gronigen game. I know it was only a pre-season game, but trust me, that was wretched stuff, so many basics, so poorly understood. We will be part of about 10 average to crap sides who could finish anywhere from 11th down. At the moment, however, my optimism is at 4. Not convinced we'll do any better than 15th. 

Was feeling cautiously optimistic for 11th-15th place midtable obscurity this season until yesterday's match....

However, yesterday we started without the likes of Guzan, Vlaar and Okore in defence with no proper LB playing either.

Due to playing 45 minutes against Chesterfield, the likes of Bacuna, CNZ, KEA and Grealish didn't come on until 65-70 minutes either. I can see CNZ (and possibly both KEA and Bacuna) making the starting line up against Stoke.

So far this pre-season, we still haven't started with our 'current' best starting line-up, due to WC commitments, slight knocks and rotation - if we were dicked yesterday with our best line-up, I'd be more worried.

IMO we need at least 4 players, as we cannot rely on Bennett, Stevens or Clark as a LB, Herd is no CB or DM and we're still lacking quality out wide (CNZ and Grealish the only two bright lights).

IF (and it's a big IF) we can bring in at least a DM and an AM before the season starts, combined with Kozak (Sept) and Benteke (Oct) returning fit and retaining Vlaar we should be alright.

I think we need 5-6 points from our first three matches, as September is going to be a rough ride.

• Like 1

If Vlaar leaves then that will probably mean that our defence is considerably weaker than last season which is a fundamental cause of concern. If it were not for that then I'd be confident of survival even with the incompetent buffoon in charge.

Edited by Isa

What a difference a yr makes. This time last yr I was optimistic following the form at the end of the previous season.

Now I'm really not looking forward to the season starting.

A manager who I think us tactically inept, who can't get the best out if his players.

Our best player missing the start of the season and probably a lot more (wouldn't be surprised if he is over pushing himself to come back early and gets injured again).

Our 2 other attackers who seem to be managers favourite still not offering anything to the team.

A defence that still hasn't been organised.

A piss poor light weight midfield that can't dictate a game and opposition just walk through.

New signings uninspiring.

Grealish and Nzog if played in the correct positions could be bright sparks, but I don't think that the manager will utilise them fully.

Only teams I see worse are burnley and west brom and we'll be joining them in the championship.

The manager is by far and away our biggest problem.

My optimism today?

3/10

He really isn't - our owner is and has been the biggest problem.

Lambert, is not perfect I agree but there are bigger issues at our floundering club and they lie at the feet of our current 'custodian'.

We have a poor squad

We have acquired poor players this summer

We will not be improving the quality any more thus summer

The decent players we have are at risk of leaving

We are going down

Sums up my feelings too, I fear relegation.

Contrary to what others think I believe we have a good squad with the encouraging blend of youth and experience.

The start to the season is important that we are around midtable before we get Benteke fit then hopefully we can push on to try and get back to where we belong in the top half.

I don't know where the goals will come from while Benteke is out, and I don't think we'll see him fully fit until after New Year anyway.

Our midfield is physically weak and easily bullied.

Our defence is suspect and our best defender will probably leave.

So, another year long relegation battle with us playing tedious football awaits.

tumblr_inline_muds9v175H1r79k32.gif

• Like 2