August Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Optimism Gauge 2014/5  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

Just stay up please. That'll do this year, I'd be happy.

I think we can do it, but I sincerely think Vlaar makes the difference. If he stays, we'll stay up.

And if he stays fit, which is a big if.

I think the same with Joe Cole... these two will be key.

I agree Cole will be more important than we maybe think.

And maqroll, I like it that the poll is public, I wish they all were.

Edited by AVTuco

We are now down on numbers for last season due to loans with rumours of Lowton and Tonev leaving also.

I thought Cole, Senderos and Richardson were reinforcements and bringing the bomb squad back was good, but now I am worried that Lambert is stripping the squad back as much as possible and we will again be left with an average first 11 that with a few injuries becomes relegation fodder.

Who will score the goals? We have at least another month or two before we see Kozak back and three months before Benteke (probably).

Who will provide the goals? Lowton and Albrighton were dire at crosses but they were our main wide threat, especially if Gabby is as useless as he was in the last half of the season.

Bent needs service, can Grealish, Zog or Richardson provide it. Will cole stay fit.

So many variables and unknowns

I hope Keane makes us harder to beat so we start with dour draws before building on that, rather than us getting our ass handed to us repeatedly.

Who will provide the goals? Lowton and Albrighton were dire at crosses but they were our main wide threat, especially if Gabby is as useless as he was in the last half of the season

I would say that Albrighton was actually very good at crossing and Lowton wasn't that bad either. And I feel with the players we have, crosses aren't going to be that necessary it'll be more about playing it through the middle.

• Like 1

Who will provide the goals? Lowton and Albrighton were dire at crosses but they were our main wide threat, especially if Gabby is as useless as he was in the last half of the season

I would say that Albrighton was actually very good at crossing and Lowton wasn't that bad either. And I feel with the players we have, crosses aren't going to be that necessary it'll be more about playing it through the middle.

Albrighton crossed a lot, but only 1 in 10 led to a goal scoring chance, possibly because our forwards were guff also. Lowton. Is occasionally good at crossing but hardly ever played last season

I can't believe Albrighton is still getting stick on here. The only player we had last season who actually went past players and created some genuine assists from width. I'd be a lot more optimistic with him in this squad than the likes of Tonev.

• Like 2

Jack's not ready to start a league campaign; cups perhaps and spot subs, but not a starter in this level. Blend Jim in, don't drown him.

Cole has to play this season, and certainly until Benteke or Kozak are back.Vlaar, Okore, and Guzan would make me feel good about the back line, a real defensive mid would probably make me run naked thru the streets in joy.

Struggling to see 3 worse teams than us.

Will depend on who else we bring in ..I suspect or maybe hope that we are going to use the  loan market but that won't kick off too much till end of window once the bigger clubs have 

finalized their squads.

It's amazing how much one relatively meaningless pre-season game seems to have influenced opinion. The outlook on the season was always pessimistic from most on here (with justification) but this one defeat definitely seems to have dramatically brought down the general mood on here. Odd.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

It's amazing how much one relatively meaningless pre-season game seems to have influenced opinion. The outlook on the season was always pessimistic from most on here (with justification) but this one defeat definitely seems to have dramatically brought down the general mood on here. Odd.

I can't see what's changed from the end of last season to now with regards to peoples concerns. So I don't agree that this one result has set it off.

• Like 2

It will be nothing more exciting than we get a few more draws at home rather than the horrific shameful loses of last season against what should be easy home win games.

Other than that I see nothing to be excited about.  Depends a lot on how the free transfers stack up and the effect of Keane will be interesting.

This summer feels like a Doug summer I suppose with no real momentum going into the season with no prospect of competing week in week out.  Looking at what the top 4 or 5 have done there is also zero chance of us rocking up to Anfield or similar and turning them over with surprise result IMO.  

I ignore pre-season results tbh.  It is not a guide to future results and never will be with players and teams on different stages of pre-season,  even a week or two difference means a league 2 side ahead in pre-season by a month could beat us (or anyone) on the day.

Also,  if the result means people get pessimistic what would happen if we beat Real Madrid or similar in a pre-season tournament or similar.  Picking a choosing what to be optimistic about is the inherent trap and ultimate failing of pre-season games,  we do not know if it was competitive,  formations used or anything of real analytical value.

I can't see what's changed from the end of last season to now with regards to peoples concerns. So I don't agree that this one result has set it off.

I would agree with that except that a few people in this thread actually prefaced their remarks with "before yesterday's result I thought we were going to be OK but now I think we're going down" or similar phrasing. If we stuff Parma 4-0 I'm sure a few folks (not necessarily the same folks) will similarly think we can push for top half or higher.

In the interest of full disclosure, I chose relegation also, but not due to the Groningen result (since I didn't see it). I just have a bad feeling. If we get news this week that Vlaar has signed a new contract I will likely come back here and change my vote.

I am always optimistic going into a new season but I have big worries this time round. It is going to be another really tough slog of season and it will be a throw of the dice where we end up.

Usually my optimism is quickly proved to be misplaced so fingers crossed my worries are misplaced this time round too.

LOL at the Nick Clegg of Villa Talk.

Optimism is about 4/10 right now - we still have a shot at the League Cup and FA Cup...

I have a feeling it's going to turn nasty quite quickly at VP if we don't get off to a flier. The buzz at the end of last season with regards to the club being for sale has totally disspitated as we've heard nothing concrete at all as to how things are going.  

Never been so 'meh' about the start of a football season.

My advice to Paul Lambert - make sure you have lube with you at all times.

Never been so 'meh' about the start of a football season.

This is how I feel. I generally only get to see the games played in London and normally move heaven and earth to make sure the match dates are free in my diary. This season I'm already missing the Chelsea and QPR games and I don't really care. May not bother with any of them TBF.

Stoke will absolutely wipe the floor with us im certain of it. They've baught really well imo and have become half decent. So many sides have overtook us its a joke. When you refuse to spend money and stand still what do you expect though. Cant see us beating Hull or Newcastle either and then the harder games come immediately after that. Looking at it that way we could well be rock bottom at an early stage and then it is all an uphill high pressure situation for us for the rest of the season. Will we get those bonus points against the City's, Plops, Arsenal's and Chelski's this time around? Highly doubtful.

My God please give out AVFC back. Awful times. Im sure someone will tell me stop being stupid and things wont be that bad but I cant think any other way. We're a wreck, all us fans have identified and know where we need reinforcements for the last few years but we never get those players in year after year and we literally "go again" with the inadequacies we already have.

I voted 17th-20th, shock

Haven't read the whole thread, but My Lord you lot are depressing! I must be one of the more optimistic Villans (not saying realistic, we'll see) as cab see us starting solidly and kicking on with the return of Bentekkers - ending about 12th, just be happy not to worry going into the last 5 games!

I've still got that start of the season buzz, although being around OT at the moment, they're nailed on to win the league even though Cleverley is still a starter for them, so why can't we have a bit of that mentality (albeit on a reduced level) with Joey Cole, Okore and the Zog back!

I wouldn't swap the feeling of Villa for the world, even though I completely understand some seem to have lost it