The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

My boss has been politely invited to leave the company at his convenience and his job is being advertised. I'm pretty much the only internal candidate remotely suitable for it, but I don't want it. The guy was incompetent, definitely, but the job is a poison chalice, they want someone to lead a team of 60+, define the strategy for the team, and work towards improving the quality coming out of them, whilst also being a hands on technical lead as well. It's simply too much, and whoever takes that job will fail.

I've sent an unsolicited mail to my boss's boss, and his boss, outlining what I see as the problems, suggesting how I'd split the responsibilities in two, and made it clear that it's essentially a covering letter for the second role which they haven't made yet.

I'm hoping their reaction is "this guy has balls, and a good point" rather than "who the **** does this guy think he is?". :D 

• Like 4

Me this morning:

I'm a genius. I can do anything. I'll tell these guys how **** amazing I am. My balls are this big.

Arms Open Wide GIFs | Tenor

Me this afternoon: 

I've emailed a bloke on the board to tell him his job posting is misguided, and that I am the guy that can solve all of his very big problems that nobody else wants to go anywhere near.

Panic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Missus lost her job, liquidation too so naff all redundancy payout by the looks of things, she’d been there for 15 years.

Pretty sure I’ll be losing mine in the coming months too so it’s gonna be an interesting ride.

Sorry to hear that mate. I have a feeling it’ll be like the crash of 2008/9 with tens of thousands of job losses yet to be announced which makes me nervous too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Missus lost her job, liquidation too so naff all redundancy payout by the looks of things, she’d been there for 15 years.

Pretty sure I’ll be losing mine in the coming months too so it’s gonna be an interesting ride.

Pretty sure she'll be entitled to the below from the government:

Employees get:

• 1.5 weeks’ pay for each full year of employment after their 41st birthday
  • a week’s pay for each full year of employment after their 22nd birthday
  • half a week’s pay for each full year of employment up to their 22nd birthday

Length of service is capped at 20 years and weekly pay is capped at £538. The maximum amount of statutory redundancy pay is £16,140.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sorry to hear that mate

Have a read

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Pretty sure she'll be entitled to the below from the government:

Employees get:

• 1.5 weeks’ pay for each full year of employment after their 41st birthday
  • a week’s pay for each full year of employment after their 22nd birthday
  • half a week’s pay for each full year of employment up to their 22nd birthday

Length of service is capped at 20 years and weekly pay is capped at £538. The maximum amount of statutory redundancy pay is £16,140.

Yeah she’s looking into that already thanks, just wank that 15 years service and they just dump the business and cut ties but hey ho, that’s life (these days).

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm re-furloughed as of Monday.

I'm not going to bother worrying about it this time. nothing I can do about it. Just going to enjoy the time off

Which is all you can do man, bloody strange times getting stranger by the day at the minute it feels.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm re-furloughed as of Monday.

I'm not going to bother worrying about it this time. nothing I can do about it. Just going to enjoy the time off

How long for?

With the extension to October I wonder if I’ll be furloughed, I’d rather not though even if on 100% pay.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

How long for?

With the extension to October I wonder if I’ll be furloughed, I’d rather not though even if on 100% pay.

Didn’t say. Minimum 3 weeks again and I assume it’s probably for a month. 

Said it’s purely because the numbers don’t add up. They’ve obviously been given a target of amount of money to save and Director said he couldn’t hit it without furloughing me. 

I’ll wait for my letter from HR

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Didn’t say. Minimum 3 weeks again and I assume it’s probably for a month. 

Said it’s purely because the numbers don’t add up. They’ve obviously been given a target of amount of money to save and Director said he couldn’t hit it without furloughing me. 

I’ll wait for my letter from HR

What industry do you work in? 
Seems different companies and industries are tackling the furlough situation very differently. 
Friend of mine was forced to take holiday leave (full pay but using up their holiday entitlement), followed by 5 weeks furlough. Back in for 10 days and then likely to be furloughed again (I may have got the length off slightly wrong). 

Im lucky really as my company hasn’t furloughed anyone and has us all working from home. If anything it’s strengthen my claim to my role (I’m currently on a secondment promotion), as I’ve shown How much an asset I’ve been in this period. 

On 26/05/2020 at 16:13, Davkaus said:

No actual comments on the topic but I have been summoned to a meeting with them tomorrow. Interesting times ahead. 😬

Any update?

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Any update?

It was weird.

I basically analysed the job spec for the role they posted, split it evenly between what I described as the technical skills and the leadership roles, detailed the problems I saw the organisation having that ought to be in the remit of the technical lead, and had a bit of a runthrough of the approach I'd suggest to begin to tackle them.

They've asked me to put together a draft job spec for the role I've proposed, and to suggest a salary, which is a weird position I've not been in before. Imagine if they make the role then I don't get it. :crylaugh:

• Confused 1

Has anyone made a big career change that may have some tips?

I'm currently a chartered surveyor and am seriously considering changing jobs and moving out of London (@KenjiOgiwara). My area of work is going to be a little stretched when I get back and I've been thinking about making the change for a while so now seems like a good opportunity. I'm still not 100% whether to get out of property in general or just move to another role. My preference is the former, I'm just being held back a bit by caution and lack of knowledge.

The only problem is I'm a little clueless about what doors my 'transferable skills' would open. I'd say I have good soft skills; presenting, negotiating etc but most of my technical skills are to do with property valuation and law so they couldn't be carried over. I've been responsible for training and managing a small number of people in the past, but never a whole team.

I probably need to speak to a recruiter...

42 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Has anyone made a big career change that may have some tips?

I'm currently a chartered surveyor and am seriously considering changing jobs and moving out of London (@KenjiOgiwara). My area of work is going to be a little stretched when I get back and I've been thinking about making the change for a while so now seems like a good opportunity. I'm still not 100% whether to get out of property in general or just move to another role. My preference is the former, I'm just being held back a bit by caution and lack of knowledge.

The only problem is I'm a little clueless about what doors my 'transferable skills' would open. I'd say I have good soft skills; presenting, negotiating etc but most of my technical skills are to do with property valuation and law so they couldn't be carried over. I've been responsible for training and managing a small number of people in the past, but never a whole team.

I probably need to speak to a recruiter...

I can't help you with your question but I if I were you I would stay where you are for now.

Businesses are likely to struggle until the end of 2020, and if you are the last in the door at a firm you are going to be in the danger zone if and when redundancies kick in.

Obviously your choice though. Good luck!

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I can't help you with your question but I if I were you I would stay where you are for now.

Businesses are likely to struggle until the end of 2020, and if you are the last in the door at a firm you are going to be in the danger zone if and when redundancies kick in.

Obviously your choice though. Good luck!

I’ve been thinking about changing industries (or role within) for a few years. I would have stuck, but unfortunately I’m being told we have very little work and when I return I’ll still be on probation so if they needed to get rid of me with a weeks notice they can.

I’m not too upset as it’s been a plan for a while and it seems like a good time to explore leaving London too. The difficulty is, as you say, whether the jobs exist.

• 3 weeks later...

So this morning I got offered a position for a job I interviewed for yesterday - great ! However they wanted me to take a 25% pay reduction.  So unfortunately I've had to tell them I'm unable to accept due to current financial commitments. Gutted tbh cuz I want out of my job so bad 🤬

Â