The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

48 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Looking for a quick temperature check here, chaps, if you'll indulge.  I've just given a presentation at an interview where the subject was "What makes an effective operations team?", and I mapped out my presentation so that my final slide said:

What makes an effective ops team?

Groundwork

Agility

Relationships

Efficiency

Taking Ownership

Honesty

Have I either:

a) made myself a shoe-in for the job

b) jeapordised my career/credibility in pursuit of "the lulz"

Well I'd employ you as I thought it said GREAT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Also, “if you look closely, you can see the great in Gareth”

Oh God, I'm totally using this for future endeavours. :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm weighing up taking a 25% paycut to have a bit of a career change. Going to be a step back by a couple of levels in seniority to move to another role within the department, but there's the perk to that that it comes with less seniority and responsibility while I learn the ropes, and then I should be able to catch up to my salary comfortably in a couple of years (and if I make it to my equivalent paygrade in the other role it'll end up being a comfortable bump compared to what I earn now).

It's for the same company, which has the benefit of not resetting my length of service, having plenty of contacts I can lean on, but also means I might still get hassled for the massive dumpster fire I'd quite like to wash my hands of.

I can definitely afford the paycut temporarily, I guess it's just the risk that I don't progress as well as I think I do, though if my ego could take it, I'm pretty sure there will always be a way back for me into my current role

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm weighing up taking a 25% paycut to have a bit of a career change. Going to be a step back by a couple of levels in seniority to move to another role within the department, but there's the perk to that that it comes with less seniority and responsibility while I learn the ropes, and then I should be able to catch up to my salary comfortably in a couple of years (and if I make it to my equivalent paygrade in the other role it'll end up being a comfortable bump compared to what I earn now).

It's for the same company, which has the benefit of not resetting my length of service, having plenty of contacts I can lean on, but also means I might still get hassled for the massive dumpster fire I'd quite like to wash my hands of.

I can definitely afford the paycut temporarily, I guess it's just the risk that I don't progress as well as I think I do, though if my ego could take it, I'm pretty sure there will always be a way back for me into my current role

If you can afford it then I would definitely do it. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2024 at 11:55, GarethRDR said:

Looking for a quick temperature check here, chaps, if you'll indulge.  I've just given a presentation at an interview where the subject was "What makes an effective operations team?", and I mapped out my presentation so that my final slide said:

What makes an effective ops team?

Groundwork

Agility

Relationships

Efficiency

Taking Ownership

Honesty

Have I either:

a) made myself a shoe-in for the job

b) jeapordised my career/credibility in pursuit of "the lulz"

I’d hire you immediately for doing this. 

But I did bin a CV today because it was 7 pages without even reading it so I’m not sure I can be trusted

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seven pages is absolute madness.  Should never be more than 2, I always thought.  Cover at least the last 5 years, include any other experience/skills/qualifications relevant to the role you're applying for, 3 references tops (or "references available on request"), a short personal statement.  Can always put "full employment history available on request" if needs be, but only what's germane to the job should really be in there.  7 pages is a portfolio, not a CV, and I'd absolutely be using that as a filter.

I did get (and take) the job, though to be fair as it was my previous boss asking me to apply to join their new team in the first instance, it was a largely safe bet from the get-go (as long as I didn't drop my pants in the interview or something akin).  It's a sideways move but it does put me into a team that's ring-fenced away from a looming restructure, so it's probably the smart choice (and they are going to try and pop me up to the highest pay step for my particular role, though that's going to ultimately be at the whim of which HR goon is doing the onboarding that day).

• Like 2

Not sure if this is one for a different thread really, but I bottled applying for a job at a different company paying ~6k more than Im on now. Exactly the same job, the one I've been doing for 16 years (albeit at a couple of different companies).

All because of a combination of a fear of change/the unknown and a pathological need to not feel like The Bad Guy by leaving my current employer in the shit.

Have not told Mrs Stewie the job existed (think it's been filled now).

Yay

14 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Not sure if this is one for a different thread really, but I bottled applying for a job at a different company paying ~6k more than Im on now. Exactly the same job, the one I've been doing for 16 years (albeit at a couple of different companies).

All because of a combination of a fear of change/the unknown and a pathological need to not feel like The Bad Guy by leaving my current employer in the shit.

Yay

I feel like this every time, but when your colleagues leave, you might feel disappointed for a day or two, but do you think about them 6 months later?

Every time, I feel bad about letting people down, but I've never regretted the move. Usually for me, it's not about the money, if i've got to the point of looking at what's out there

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Yay

Nothing to be ashamed of, the grass isn't always greener. If you are comfortable at your current place, then thats worth something. I've seen plenty of people at my place, move to similar companies and absolutely hate it. Different work culture etc. As long as you are ok money wise, then its understandable that you want to stay. 

Plus its not just about salary - I look at the overall package now, especially pension contributions and what other financial 'benefits' I get (private medical cover, etc), not just the salary figure. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Plus its not just about salary - I look at the overall package now, especially pension contributions and what other financial 'benefits' I get (private medical cover, etc), not just the salary figure. 

This is my favourite question that immediately stumps 90% of recruiters. "The salary is in the right ballpark, what are the pension contributions like?"

I see so many job ads that include the benefit "employer pension contributions" with an unspecified percentage. Which means the minimum, you ****. That's not a benefit, it's your statutory obligation. 

• Like 3

Â