The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That seems like textbook discrimination. If she wanted to contest it, she should document every conversation she has, and get as much of it in writing as possible.

That there was no mention of this at all until she disclosed the pregnancy puts them in a very difficult position. She's not exempt from being made redundant but it can't be used as a factor when choosing who to make redundant.

Having said that, an employer wanting to game the system and get rid of a specific person is going to be able to. I'd be considering what kind of voluntary redundancy packages they'd be willing to offer above and beyond statutory redundancy, and how it compares to maternity pay

I've have a bit of knowledge of employment law through my work, however I work for a multinational company who's lawyers essentially said 'avoid making pregnant women unemployed at all costs' and the feeling I got from that is that anything like this is an employment tribunal waiting to happen.

I can't see them offering much other than the statutory redundancy as I'm almost certain they are doing this to avoid SMP so they will be looking to ensure the redundancy is less than that

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I got offered the job today, I had given up on it as I hadn't heard anything for a week but turns out they had got the wrong contact number or something (I've double checked my CV and it has the right details but hey-ho).  Should be good, I'm a bit worried about getting out of my comfort zone but I'm sure it'll work out fine, plus it is £7k more rising to £9k after a year if I'm not shit so a bit of a no-brainer.

Well done mate and all the best 🙂

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I got offered the job today, I had given up on it as I hadn't heard anything for a week but turns out they had got the wrong contact number or something (I've double checked my CV and it has the right details but hey-ho).  Should be good, I'm a bit worried about getting out of my comfort zone but I'm sure it'll work out fine, plus it is £7k more rising to £9k after a year if I'm not shit so a bit of a no-brainer.

Congratulations on getting offered the job - you can only do your best👍

• Thanks 1

I impulsively applied for a job on Monday night. Saw it on LinkedIn at about 10pm and by 11 I'd applied (I already had a pretty much up to date CV that I'd done when I was furloughed, just in case)

But it's in Manchester. Which would have obvious issues.

So don't even know if I want the job, and doubt I'll get it anyway. But will have to give it some proper thought if I get an interview

On paper it's a perfect job for me though, so will be hard not to go for it.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I impulsively applied for a job on Monday night. Saw it on LinkedIn at about 10pm and by 11 I'd applied (I already had a pretty much up to date CV that I'd done when I was furloughed, just in case)

But it's in Manchester. Which would have obvious issues.

So don't even know if I want the job, and doubt I'll get it anyway. But will have to give it some proper thought if I get an interview

On paper it's a perfect job for me though, so will be hard not to go for it.

Could you uproot quite easily? You'd have to have a serious pros and cons list to move to Manchester. 

For me I'm not too bothered about moving around. I moved to Istanbul from Kings Heath ffs. To be fair Manchester to Brum isn't that much of a pootle. 

Fair play for having the impulse to go for it though.

1 minute ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Could you uproot quite easily? You'd have to have a serious pros and cons list to move to Manchester. 

For me I'm not too bothered about moving around. I moved to Istanbul from Kings Heath ffs. To be fair Manchester to Brum isn't that much of a pootle. 

Fair play for having the impulse to go for it though.

In theory, yes. We live in a rented flat at the moment. We're looking to move anyway (obviously the plan before was staying in Birmingham), Manchester is close enough that I could still be regularly back and forth to see family, which would be important for me.

The problem would be the other half. She loves her job and wouldn't want to leave it. She's happy for me to go for the job but is talking about moving somewhere halfway between the two cities and commuting but I'm not sure I want to live in Stoke, which is the obvious choice.

I wouldn't make her quit her job though which is probably the only solution. We'll have to have a proper think about it if I get an interview.

If I was single I'd be going in a heartbeat assuming the salary is right (which I think it will be)

• Like 1

I bet if you look into it there’s some lovely towns and villages just off the M6 around Stoke.

I’d love to move jobs, the problem is the pay to effort ratio where I currently work is quite crazy. I can do 99% of my job with my eyes closed and the money is great for a non-management role.

• Like 2

I'm sure there are some places near Stoke that aren't depressing, desolate shitholes, but what's your commute like at the moment?

On a quiet day you could do that in an hour, but I imagine in weekday rush hour it'll often be over 2. I couldn't sit through that regularly. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m in a huge quandary.

I hate my job, so much so that getting out of bed is becoming really difficult. I’ve been working from home since March and it’s really getting to me.

On top of that, around two months ago my Manager and my only peer in the UK were sacked without warning and a total arsehole promoted to be my Manager, based in the US.

I get paid pretty well which makes it difficult for me to find something comparable and I don’t really think I want to continue doing what I do anyway. All told, I feel completely lost.

I wrote out a resignation email weeks ago and hover over it every morning and afternoon at least once, but I know that I’m fortunate to have a job at all, let alone one that pays well.

Not really seeking advice per se but just need somewhere to vent.

It sounds like a shit situation. But it's probably not the best time for speculatively giving your notice without a job to go to.

Might have to grit your teeth and get through it. But sounds like you should be on the lookout for other opportunities.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm sure there are some places near Stoke that aren't depressing, desolate shitholes, but what's your commute like at the moment?

On a quiet day you could do that in an hour, but I imagine in weekday rush hour it'll often be over 2. I couldn't sit through that regularly. 

Yeah this is the main reason it isn't really an option. My commute now is about 45 minutes but it's through backroads to wolverhampton so there's barely any traffic, I'm always moving and it's always 45 minutes. 

I've done motorway commutes before and when it's bad it's a **** nightmare. Not something I'd really want to go back to, or make my OH have to endure as well.

For the first time ever, i'm not pushing for any advancement. In my current role, I have so much flexibility around what I actually want to get involved with, it's great. The money is comfy, and the only thing another promotion will be, is more (as well as a company car but in time) 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It sounds like a shit situation. But it's probably not the best time for speculatively giving your notice without a job to go to.

Might have to grit your teeth and get through it. But sounds like you should be on the lookout for other opportunities.

Yeah that’s what I’m doing but it just feels like every day gets that little bit harder to do it.

1st world problems though for sure in the grand scheme of things. If I’m being totally honest I want them to make me redundant and am hanging on for that but I think they’d sooner create an opportunity to sack me for gross misconduct before paying me off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You say your new boss is an arsehole,  but if he/she is your manager you should be able to contact them to discuss your role moving forward.   Of course you were shocked when your previous boss was sacked so you have every right to ask what the future plans are. 

Sorry quoted wrong person 😳 @bannedfromHandV it was meant for you!

Edited by dubbs
Wrong person quoted
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem would be the other half. She loves her job and wouldn't want to leave it. She's happy for me to go for the job but is talking about moving somewhere halfway between the two cities and commuting but I'm not sure I want to live in Stoke, which is the obvious choice.

I wouldn't make her quit her job though which is probably the only solution. We'll have to have a proper think about it if I get an interview.

If I was single I'd be going in a heartbeat assuming the salary is right (which I think it will be)

Doesn't have to be Stoke... could be Peak District? Ashbourne or Buxton? I assume your missus works in Brum? 

Â