The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got quite far a head with testing documentation, admittedly it was on an earlier version of the Requirements but did a traceability matrix, Test Plan, Requirements Catalogue, SIT scripts and UAT scenarios. A few weeks of chilling on the sofa was planned. 

Today the final version of the requirements came out. Completely different, different numbering, lots removed, lots added. 

I need to self isolate from the internet. If I make a single comment or give a single like before 5pm I need to have a 24 hour ban imposed. I anticipate a week of this. Arse. 

In all my working life, I've never worked from home until the start of last week & all of us are WFH for the foreseeable future. What started out as a novelty (nipping to my kitchen for snacks whenever I wanted; not worrying about who had just used the toilet before me, playing music to keep me company) is now becoming a bit of a drag. I'm typing this  halfway through a 12 hr night shift and whilst I don't now have the 45 minute drive home after such a shift I just feel odd; alone in more ways than just physically. My other half is a police officer and I won't see her for god knows how long now as she'll soon be frontline again (we don't live together). I'm glaring at a laptop screen glaring back at me in the dead of night. Sigh.

I know I need to exercise more thanks to the snacking, thanks to Uncle Boris I'm allowed out for an hour or so. I don't do pubs as such so I'm not suffering too much from that side of the lockdown

I guess I'm after tips from those of you who are WFH experts as to how to cope & I guess, stay disciplined.

Thanks.

I’ve already done a fair bit of WFH and weirdly for me, I genuinely think I’m far more productive at home. I’m not interrupted half so much, I don’t have to visit petrol stations and thus get snacks. I’m ok with it. But then I’ve got the stereo and a view of the garden.

Mrs crispy has started WFH this week - struggling. She only has me to talk out loud at about everything happening in her work. With the greatest respect for her, I couldn’t give a flying **** what people in her office are saying or doing.

Right now, I’ve moved to a different room ‘cos the WiFi is better’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve already done a fair bit of WFH and weirdly for me, I genuinely think I’m far more productive at home. I’m not interrupted half so much, I don’t have to visit petrol stations and thus get snacks. I’m ok with it. But then I’ve got the stereo and a view of the garden.

Mrs crispy has started WFH this week - struggling. She only has me to talk out loud at about everything happening in her work. With the greatest respect for her, I couldn’t give a flying **** what people in her office are saying or doing.

Right now, I’ve moved to a different room ‘cos the WiFi is better’.

Yep, I am too. I have done way more work in the last 2 weeks than I did in the office over the same period.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mottaloo said:

In all my working life, I've never worked from home until the start of last week & all of us are WFH for the foreseeable future. What started out as a novelty (nipping to my kitchen for snacks whenever I wanted; not worrying about who had just used the toilet before me, playing music to keep me company) is now becoming a bit of a drag. I'm typing this  halfway through a 12 hr night shift and whilst I don't now have the 45 minute drive home after such a shift I just feel odd; alone in more ways than just physically. My other half is a police officer and I won't see her for god knows how long now as she'll soon be frontline again (we don't live together). I'm glaring at a laptop screen glaring back at me in the dead of night. Sigh.

I know I need to exercise more thanks to the snacking, thanks to Uncle Boris I'm allowed out for an hour or so. I don't do pubs as such so I'm not suffering too much from that side of the lockdown

I guess I'm after tips from those of you who are WFH experts as to how to cope & I guess, stay disciplined.

Thanks.

It’s my first time wfh as well. 
First few days I was fine, used my commute time to do an exercise video. Go for a walk lunch or home time. Even avoided snacks etc

Im now getting bored of it. I have back problems anyway so having a rest day on the exercise videos. Found myself walking to the fridge more today as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

This is a side effect that I am also having to deal with (not Mrs P of course).

• Like 1

I've worked from home since Uni 12 years ago, now I'm split between office/home.

It's fine on my own, but the first few days were very challenging with wife and 2 young kids at home, plus my project which Commercial/Legal have put firmly on hold. :(  

I'm stressing about that, but the family have settled quite quickly.  I'm hoping by Tuesday my project will come to a conclusion, then it's off me. 

I've also got to do end of year accruals for the Trust which a **** ball ache, it's harder to focus when other people are milling around.  

I still think a day or two working at home, then going in a few days makes me more productive.  As I work at a hospital, my office is always open, but I've got to do the right thing and stay away. 

I used to sit at the dining table when I worked from home when everyone was out at school/work. Best thing I did last week was convert spare room into an office space. It even has a .. ̶c̶a̶s̶t̶i̶ regular couch.

spacer.png

(Yes, I’ve given my daughter her chair back and bought my own)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Thanks.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Basketball career getting better with age and continues for another season, this week a coach confirmed I am part of his plans once restrictions are lifted and I will sign soon.

Literally playing with and against guys who have averaged 20+ppg in the NCAA division one, and whom have had opportunities with NBA teams, many NBL heads too.

The league I'm playing in had a report written recently that stated that the league is a legitimate pathway to the NBA, with a number of players being scouted and recruited.

I gave up on myself in life, hard. Like you don't understand. Today, I'm looking and seeing that there's a guy who made his NBA debut age 35 and got a four-year contract.

About 20 past 5 mate. 

Â