The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I've got a tester day tomorrow with the driving job.  Get to go out on a few jobs with one of the drivers to see what is like day to day.   Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

I've got a tester day tomorrow with the driving job.  Get to go out on a few jobs with one of the drivers to see what is like day to day.   Looking forward to it!

If the driver supports Luton and lives in Shropshire say hi to my brother will you.

• Like 1

My new car was delivered on Monday and I had a good chat with the guy who delivered it - he loves his job! Like a few people mentioned above, he too was in a different career and has only been doing this for 5 months odd and he said it was brilliant. Given a brand new car to drive to generally excited customers and then sit on a train to the next place etc. Didn't talk money but I must admit I was thinking the job sounded amazing! I'm in Education so pretty safe but otherwise I'd really look at this - 90% of my time not dealing with people sounds perfect!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

If the driver supports Luton and lives in Shropshire say hi to my brother will you.

This guy lives in Wolverhampton so if he's a fan it'll be a long day 😂

• Haha 1

Yep, last couple of weeks I’ve dealt with two ‘car guys’.

First one was well happy because he was on a day rate and had only travelled 15 miles to pick mine up and was taking it to the car auctions so was about to get a day rate for working 3 hours. He did point out it was not always like that!

The guy that delivered the new car, well he properly stitched me up. Called me the day before and asked what was the earliest I was happy to take delivery, to which I said he was doing the driving so whenever suited him. Bang! He said what if it was really early, I said fine...yes....but define really early.

I signed for that car at 6:15 a.m., he prefers to drive at night and had brought it down to South Wales from Liverpool.

He said he loved it. But sounds like a tough gig.

Best of luck mate.

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2020 at 18:08, Davkaus said:

I'm in the position of having 3 different paths ahead of me, which is nice.

One of our sister companies is hiring for someone in my current role, but it's different tech, a smaller team, a good chance to learn some new stuff and potentially in the future build out the rest of the team.

So I applied, I was offered an interview after having a good hour long "screening" call with them, and as a courtesy told my current line manager and project manager. Who absolutely panicked. And spent the next 3 days pulling me in to meetings to get my thoughts of new roles they could make to keep me happy. They got my interest in some new internal opportunities, and even though it's a company in our "alliance", the other role is still a new contract, and new length of service which is pretty scary in these uncertain times. So I sent the sister company an email withdrawing from the interview, which should have been yesterday.

Today they emailed me again asking if they could possibly have half an hour of my time tomorrow to discuss the position further. Basically, I think they interviewed the other candidates, they were dire, and now it's "name your price" time.

I can:

• Jump ship to that company, I think I could haggle a decent pay increase due to them reaching out like this. And they're rapidly expanding and doing cracking business at the moment, so  it's a risk, but doesn't feel like a huge one. Potentially I'll be able to build a team in my own image at some point, but for now I'll be a one man band without much support - bright side is there are no legacy poor decisions for me to have to live with, I can just start putting my own processes in place.
  • Stay where I am, but I've been offered some minions to take some of my dull and frustrating tasks away, and been told I can restructure things a bit. Same money. Less stress, zero risk. Potentially a bit dull and not much opportunity to learn. It feels like the "I've decided to stay comfortable and count down the days to retirement" option.  
  • Potentially move to another internal role, that they're making for me, which is a cross-team "lead" position, letting me focus on the bits of my current job I'm interested in, for a couple of different teams, while offloading a lot of the stuff I find dull. I suspect no current salary increase, but it'd define my future progression a lot more, put some new stuff on the CV, and get my name a lot well known across the business as the expert in what I do.

It's a very fortunate position to be in, but I'm torn. I'm going to have the chat with the other company tomorrow and see what they're putting on the table so I at least know what I'm deciding between.

Which did you do?

The guy I will be with tomorrow said he had recently done an 18 hour day.   Hoping that isn't the norm!  Still have a couple of irons in the fire just in case this isn't for me. 

Tester day went well.  It was a, long day although we had a 2 hour delay in Croydon waiting for a car to be ready.  Weather was rubbish on the way back up to the Midlands too.  Starting the job on Tuesday - really looking forward to it. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Tester day went well.  It was a, long day although we had a 2 hour delay in Croydon waiting for a car to be ready.  Weather was rubbish on the way back up to the Midlands too.  Starting the job on Tuesday - really looking forward to it. 

Good luck mate

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my first interview in donkeys this afternoon.  I'm not particularly nervous, it's still a baking job but more artisan rather than mass production but I should be ok.  The job advert had a £10k difference between the lowest and highest salary, is it better to say 'I'd like the top amount please' or pitch myself somewhere in the middle to avoid looking like a dick?  They seem to have been looking for someone for at least a month.  I'd have to buy a car for the commute as I currently can walk to work, should I use that as a reason to ask for more money?

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got my first interview in donkeys this afternoon.  I'm not particularly nervous, it's still a baking job but more artisan rather than mass production but I should be ok.  The job advert had a £10k difference between the lowest and highest salary, is it better to say 'I'd like the top amount please' or pitch myself somewhere in the middle to avoid looking like a dick?  They seem to have been looking for someone for at least a month.  I'd have to buy a car for the commute as I currently can walk to work, should I use that as a reason to ask for more money?

Good luck! I hate job interviews where they ask you what you want to be paid. They're so unfair to people who are shy, anxious or disadvantaged.

• Like 1

If you're somewhere within the range, the worst they're going to do is try to haggle you down.

I'd look through the person spec, assuming it's one of the typical essential/desirable lists, and put yourself somewhere appropriate in the range based on that. If you've barely got the experience or qualifications they're looking for then towards the top is pretty unrealistic, but don't sell yourself short.

I wouldn't mention the car, or any other reasons you'd personally like more money. It's not relevant, it should be based on what you're bringing to the role.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Cheers guys.  Another thing is that I didn't actually apply, they contacted me having seen my CV on Indeed, would that have any bearing on how I should approach it?

Depends, is it the hiring company directly, or a recruitment agency?

Agencies reach out all of the time in the hunt for commission. A hiring company contacting potential hires is quite unusual though and suggests they're struggling to fill the role, so it'd definitely be time to play hardball :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Cheers guys.  Another thing is that I didn't actually apply, they contacted me having seen my CV on Indeed, would that have any bearing on how I should approach it?

Ask for top dollar. 

If they can afford the top amount, they're still getting more value than that out of you. 

Even if you can't fulfil all of the qualifying criteria, they can train you to get to that spec. 

If you go in low, or halfway, it'll take a while before you reach that top figure (which the company can afford anyway, hence why they offer it in the first place).

I asked for top dollar and got it, I probably should've asked for more from anecdotal evidence within the company.  

But ultimately it depends on what you're happy with. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone here have much knowledge of employment law? My wife told her boss today that she's pregnant and she basically got told that they were thinking of making her redundant anyway as they going to close down part of the business (my wife does not exclusively work in that part). It all seems very dodgy but my worry is that they will get away with it as they only have 2 employees and whilst my wife is part time, the other employee works full time so they could argue that she is being selected because she can't cover the hours.

That seems like textbook discrimination. If she wanted to contest it, she should document every conversation she has, and get as much of it in writing as possible.

That there was no mention of this at all until she disclosed the pregnancy puts them in a very difficult position. She's not exempt from being made redundant but it can't be used as a factor when choosing who to make redundant.

Having said that, an employer wanting to game the system and get rid of a specific person is going to be able to. I'd be considering what kind of voluntary redundancy packages they'd be willing to offer above and beyond statutory redundancy, and how it compares to maternity pay.

Â