The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wouldn’t move jobs now unless I had to. 

It’s one week’s notice and no reason required if you’ve been somewhere less than 2 years.

You’d need a strong reason to change employers right now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s one week’s notice and no reason required if you’ve been somewhere less than 2 years.

You’d need a strong reason to change employers right now.

Yes, I think we’re still early days of the economic collapse. I wouldn’t even move for a 25% payrise right now because I could easily find myself out of work, no payout and hunting for a job in the biggest depression in history. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wouldn’t move jobs now unless I had to. 

Absolutely. No way will I be looking for a job outside my company for the next few years now. I've got close to 20 years service where I am!

Just now, Xela said:

Absolutely. No way will I be looking for a job outside my company for the next few years now. I've got close to 20 years service where I am!

Making yourself too expense to lay off as part of cost cutting is a solid plan.

Two comparable people, one new and one long established, one costs £600 to ‘lose’, the other costs £14,000.

Perhaps that’s less of a consideration when HSBC are dropping 35,000 staff. But at Billy’s Bakery, that’s a big consideration. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Making yourself too expense to lay off as part of cost cutting is a solid plan.

Two comparable people, one new and one long established, one costs £600 to ‘lose’, the other costs £14,000.

Perhaps that’s less of a consideration when HSBC are dropping 35,000 staff. But at Billy’s Bakery, that’s a big consideration. 

Indeed, I think our policy is roughly 4 weeks pay per year employed. If the worst was to happen then at least you've got something to tide you over. 

I just don't like my job though.  It's not at all what the company sold to me at the interview, but I appreciate what you're all saying.  I've been there since November and on furlough since April.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Indeed, I think our policy is roughly 4 weeks pay per year employed. If the worst was to happen then at least you've got something to tide you over. 

You sure that is right mate as that is unreal especially if no upper limit. If you had done 26 years that would be 104 weeks/2 years pay.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

You sure that is right mate as that is unreal especially if no upper limit. If you had done 26 years that would be 104 weeks/2 years pay.

Yep, although I did fail to mention it is capped at a certain level (around 100 weeks I think). We've had a few people leave with six figure pay-offs in recent years. I have a feeling it may be a ring-fenced policy for people who joined before a certain date (like me). I'm not sure if more recent starters would be on the same. 

Similar in essence to the pensions... people employed before a certain date had a DBS pension, while later starters are on the less attractive DCS. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I just don't like my job though.  It's not at all what the company sold to me at the interview, but I appreciate what you're all saying.  I've been there since November and on furlough since April.

I think the initial responses you got were right, but in your position, if you can find a new role, I'd go.

You don't have the protection of being there more than 2 years, you're potentially at risk if you're already furloughed, so if you can find a company healthy enough that they're recruiting through this, I think it's a very sensible move.

IMO the worst possible position to be in is to be one of those let go when the furlough scheme ends. We could be looking at millions of extra unemployed people fighting for very few jobs.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

We've had a few people leave with six figure pay-offs in recent years.

Someone where I work retired last year, 3 weeks after he put the request in officially a VR scheme opened up and he could have got a six figure lump sum as he had 40 years service and was a senior manager.

HR wouldn’t budge and he got none of it. That would haunt you forever wouldn’t it.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Not sure what your point is, @ferguson1, that's statutory redundancy, lots of companies offer packages that surpass that?

Not trying to make any point.  Just posting it in case someone finds it useful that wasn’t already aware.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Today I found out I'll be unemployed at the end of August.  My extended probationary period has been reviewed and its been decided I won't be given a full time contract.   The initial period ended in March but due to being on furlough it was extended.  I've not been at work since, apart from 4 split days when I was needed at customer sites.  Don't know how I feel at the moment.   It wasn't a job I particularly enjoyed, but at least it was a job. Doesn't seem fair that I've not been able to use the probation extention to get a better feel for the role and its like this is an excuse the company can use to get rid without any redundancy (if I was due any).  

I've updated my LinkedIn profile today so my connections can see im available, and I've been looking for a while as I anticipated this outcome.  

Is there a way I can see what positions match my skill set - not just jobs with similar titles but also ones I've not thought of previously?

Edited by dubbs
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Today I found out I'll be unemployed at the end of August.  My extended probationary period has been reviewed and its been decided I won't be given a full time contract.   The initial period ended in March but due to being on furlough it was extended.  I've not been at work since, apart from 4 split days when I was needed at customer sites.  Don't know how I feel at the moment.   It wasn't a job I particularly enjoyed, but at least it was a job. Doesn't seem fair that I've not been able to use the probation extention to get a better feel for the role and its like this is an excuse the company can use to get rid without any redundancy (if I was due any).  

I've updated my LinkedIn profile today so my connections can see im available, and I've been looking for a while as I anticipated this outcome.  

Is there a way I can see what positions match my skill set - not just jobs with similar titles but also ones I've not thought of previously?

Extending the probation period due to Covid seems a bit off, how long was it initially and how much was left? I’d be tempted to look into if they acted fairly.

Did they give you a reason for not passing the probation? Was it performance related? 

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Extending the probation period due to Covid seems a bit off, how long was it initially and how much was left? I’d be tempted to look into if they acted fairly.

Did they give you a reason for not passing the probation? Was it performance related? 

The initial period ended at the end of March, and they'd mentioned extending it then.   But almost straight away I was put on furlough.  I've not had a chance to prove myself since.  My boss said my employment would end as she didn't think I was suitable for the role.   The whole thing stinks the more I think about it. 

7 minutes ago, dubbs said:

The initial period ended at the end of March, and they'd mentioned extending it then.   But almost straight away I was put on furlough.  I've not had a chance to prove myself since.  My boss said my employment would end as she didn't think I was suitable for the role.   The whole thing stinks the more I think about it. 

What are your skills? Would a skill thread be good to set up?

12 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Was it formally extended in writing? Sounds like they’ve cut corners. 

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you find something soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â