Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I think Bruce has done a good job pretty much everywhere he has been to be fair.

He has - until he tries to push on. Lets not forget his sunderland were nosediving at the time he left.

But for a Lerner appointment Id be happy with Bruce - But would he come ? - would Lerner have sanctioned the winter signings of Jelvic + Long ...for example....

Lerner gives budgets per season so if he would sanction it would depend on if the manager had spent it all in the summer (which is best anyway)
And you know this how?

Observation + the net amounts spent

I don't understand why people would want Lambert out only to be replaced by another, inexperienced-yet-relatively-successful lower league manager.

People suggesting Eddie Howe - did you see his tenure at Burnley?!

Pointless thread as it makes no difference

as that pointless as in it makes no difference who the manager is under the owners or pointless as in there's no point discussing it as lambert will definitely be here next year?

Seen serious and semi-serious suggestions of Steve Bruce, Roberto Di Matteo, Eddie Howe, Steve McLaren, Glenn Hoddle, Tony Pulis, Owen Coyle, Sean Dyche, Jose Riga, David Platt, John Gregory and Martin Laursen.

You lot all on drugs?

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 3

Seen serious and semi-serious suggestions of Steve Bruce, Roberto Di Matteo, Eddie Howe, Steve McLaren, Glenn Hoddle, Tony Pulis, Owen Coyle, Sean Dyche, Jose Riga, David Platt, John Gregory and Martin Laursen.

You lot all on drugs?

Would not take a single one of those over current setup, that's not to say that I don't admire them (Pulis in particular) but from afar, not for my club.

At this point in time I'd be quite happy with Michael Laudrup but I doubt he'd be too interested in taking over a team that doesn't carry the ability to string even three passes together.

You lot all on drugs?

They're all better managers than Paul Lambert.  You can add Barry Fry and Trevor Francis to the list as well.

• Like 1

You lot all on drugs?

Gregory would crawl over a mile of hot coals and top that off with a mile or two of broken glass to be our manager

You lot all on drugs?

Gregory would crawl over a mile of hot coals and top that off with a mile or two of broken glass to be our manager

Unfortunately, he's the one boss in the league who seems to be on as bad a run as Lambert, with 6 losses in their last 7 games.

No to Steve Bruce or McLaren for me.

Would love to see Pullis for a couple of seasons but he is too loyal to leave Palace. Same goes for Dyche. Have watched Wigan a couple of times recently on the TV and Rosler has them playing like Martinez again. I would love to try and attract him. What about Sami Hyypia?

As a long shot Eddie Howe from Bournemouth? Jose Riga from Charlton?

Pulis is a great manager in short term, but he is not the man that can take us to the top 8 again, so stop mention his name

• Like 1

You lot all on drugs?

Unfortunately, he's the one boss in the league who seems to be on as bad a run as Lambert, with 6 losses in their last 7 games.

I'd still probably have Gregory over Lambert right now, though. Maybe Gregory is a shit manager these days, so is Lambert, but at least JG is a Villa man.

If Lambert is sacked, I really want us to take a bit of a risk on a manager that plays good football.

Having Okore and Vlaar, we have the central defenders to play a high defensive line (like AVB played) and despite current form, we also have players who can pass the ball (even though Lambert doesn't seem to be telling them how).

Lambert, McLeish and Houllier have all turned out to be risks, so why not take a risk on someone from further afield, like Southampton did.

Sascha Lewandowski for me. Was appointed head coach alongside Sami Hyypia of Bayer Leverkusen and they had a great season last year. Going from 5th in 11/12 to 3rd in 12/13.

At the start of this year Bayer had a superb start to the season as Lewandowski moved back into his previous role as head of the youth set up of Bayer, leaving Hyypia as the sole manager of the club. Started great (2nd at christmas I believe?) but then since January have had as many points as one of the bottom clubs in the division (Eintracht Braunschweig I think it is, bottom club in the league). Lost a lot of games on the trot and Hyypia has been sacked. Lewandowski has been appointed interim manager to get them through till the end of the season and won their first game in weeks against Hertha Berlin yesterday.

He hasn't got much of a career so far, is a bit left field and not many people would have heard of him (Sami Hyypia getting most of the plaudits, when clearly a lot of the good work was by Sascha - not to discount Hyypia, I'd love him here too, apart from the inevitable Anfield love-in) but I think he could be a great manager, has a history with youth teams and could be a good coach. However I think it would be too left-field for us and he may end up staying as manager of Leverkusen anyway.  In which case I would still like Sami Hyypia, clearly has potential to be a good manager and was a very good player that our young players could look up to. 

I'd rather keep lambert over an obscure punt because he had done well in a foreign league, who says faulkner wouldnt hire someone equally as bad anyway? Houllier/Mcleish? Tbh as much as a poor job lambert has done and i dont particularly want him as manager i have no faith in the club picking a replacement.

• Like 2

How about giving Sven Goran Eriksson another go at it ?

Oh god no!

He's a relic of days past.

Fantastic in his day 80's-00's but well past it now.

He wouldn't be one of my first choices but he might work as a much needed director of football for us