Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Another european coach that comes to mind is Eric Gerets, did well at PSV, Marseille, Wolfsburg,... Don't know what he's up to these days

Believe he was out in the middle east for a while after Marseille. I liked him at OM but I wouldn't see him as a big step up from Lambert. 

Would anyone gamble on Platt ? At least he has villa connections. John Gregory again ? We definitely need a DoF type person and Sir Graham would be my choice.

I've always got the impression that Platt absolutely hates us.

• Like 2

Would anyone gamble on Platt ? At least he has villa connections. John Gregory again ? We definitely need a DoF type person and Sir Graham would be my choice.

I've always got the impression that Platt absolutely hates us.

read his book some years ago,very big headed & he could not wait to clear his locker

Rosler or Karanka, the manager of Middlesborogh would be my picks but I want Lambert to be given next season with some decent funding and a decent wage limit.  Hopefully Norwich don't pick up a win in last 4 games.

Marcelo Bielsa

That would certainly tick the tactical nous check box! Would be a big gamble in terms culture and playing style, but I think he's a great manager.

That would be my dream choice aswell. It could go completely wrong but it would be the sort of appointment that would get the football world talking. How were Bilbao doing when he took over in 2011, they were only mid table weren' they?

These suggestions are desperate and we'd be in the same situation next season, Platt has a hopeless record as a manager ffs.

Honestly if we do pot Lambert, we'll be in for the likes of Steve Clarke and McKay imo so really the same sort of standard of manager.

My dream would be someone like Bielsa as suggested two pages ago. Yes it could all go completely wrong but after the last couple of years I'm quite prepared to take the risk on a maverick foreign coach and it would get the football world talking about us again.

How were Bilbao doing when he took over there in 2011? Were they mid table as that suggests he wouldn't just be interested in a title challenging squad?

Honestly just looking at the last few pages are amusing....

Zola

Coyle

Hoddle?!!!

Warburton

Rosler (in fairness I think he's a good one but let's see how he does in the prem first)

What do these and a few others have in common. Ah yes they've looked good in the lower divisions and have a promotion or two on the CV....just like Lambert does.

I was thinking though...how come a team like Fulham on the brink of relegation attract a manager of the calibre of Magrath who has two Bundesliga titles and vast bundesliga and European knowledge?

It can't just be because they're based in London. That's the standard we need.

Another european coach that comes to mind is Eric Gerets, did well at PSV, Marseille, Wolfsburg,... Don't know what he's up to these days

Believe he was out in the middle east for a while after Marseille. I liked him at OM but I wouldn't see him as a big step up from Lambert. 

I remember him taking OM from relegation spots to 3rd. He probably won't do the same here, but he has loads of experience with some decent teams. I do believe him to be better manager than Lambert

I like Dyche and he's worth getting just for his gravel voice post match interviews but do people realise the irony of suggesting lower league promotion winning managers....to replace a lower league promotion winning manager!

that was what i was hinting at, Sean dyche and probably Pearson will be the latest in the line of managers to get a team promoted and do little else, see Coyle, Lambert, Houghton (promotion with Newcastle).

i cant see lambert getting sacked unless we get relegated, and even then we will go for another young and enthusiastic manager to bring us back up, years ago the thought of having a Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes or Sam Allardyce was considered a backwards step for us, now id have either of them just so we can have a season or two when, you know, we might actually win some football games at home

Mark Hughes is the man who should have replaced MON. I think it is safe to say that we would not have dropped out of the top ten under Sparky.

probably true yes, but the circumstances at the time allowed us to believe we needed a manager to get us in the top 4, not one too stop the drastic fall from top 6 too bottom 6 we have suffered.

Murat Yakin is a great shout, for sure, but he'll go on to greater things. His next move is surely going go be to a big CL club!?

Maybe mate, but he was interested in both the Palace & Sunderland jobs before Poyet & Pulis took over those clubs this season, read somewhere that Lambert is on around 40k a week!! I'm pretty sure Yakin would come and work with that on offer and he always having his best players nicked from Basel!! but keeps improving them at same time!!

Mark Hughes is the man who should have replaced MON. I think it is safe to say that we would not have dropped out of the top ten under Sparky.

We certainly should've hired him after Houllier. Still mind-boggling how he was overlooked that summer.

• Like 3