Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Steve Bruce has just demonstrated a master class on how to reorganise his bunch of journeymen average players to turn a losing position around.

Paul Lambert take note.

(I'd still love it if Sheff United got an equaliser!)

:angry: Tut tut. Just no. I will never forget his celebration after Stern John's equaliser. 

Mark Hughes is the man who should have replaced MON. I think it is safe to say that we would not have dropped out of the top ten under Sparky.

probably true yes, but the circumstances at the time allowed us to believe we needed a manager to get us in the top 4, not one too stop the drastic fall from top 6 too bottom 6 we have suffered.

I think Lerner gave up on our chances for the Top Four when it became apparent MON was leaving. Hughes would have been good enough to keep us in contention for the Europa League. He has a decent record in the transfer market too, and has also worked and flourished under a restricted budget at Fulham and Blackburn respectively. We missed an opportunity for real stability at the top end of the league.

Loved his quote about us too - "Aston Villa is a good job for any manager, I would suggest."

Hughes is just having to rebuild his reputation after the QPR fiasco, i dont think theres a manager in existence that could have saved that shambles last season. Sadly im not even sure we could attract Bruce or Hughes, why would they want to come here at the moment?

Hughes is just having to rebuild his reputation after the QPR fiasco, i dont think theres a manager in existence that could have saved that shambles last season. Sadly im not even sure we could attract Bruce or Hughes, why would they want to come here at the moment?

Do not underestimate the attraction of this club.  ;) We could attract the devil if we wanted too.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Do not underestimate the attraction of this club.  ;) We could attract the devil if we wanted too.

Not again, thanks. He had a go just before Lambert

;)

• Like 3

I think Lerner gave up on our chances for the Top Four when it became apparent MON was leaving.

Isn't it more correct to say that Lerner gave up on top 4 when he realised how much it would cost,

and that O'Neill left due to the financial corrections Lerner planned to introduce?

Uwe Rosler and Steve McClaren strikes me as the best fit for Villa if new manager is on the agenda,

but then again I thought Lambert would be a great choice as well looking at what he'd done at Norwich.

You just never can tell how it turns out, I'm sure Lambert can do a great job elsewhere and even could have at Villa.

But he does seem to have gone a bit stale and worked himself into a corner with this team of his.

I'd actually question his transfer activities more than his performance as coach and match leader,

a jewel or two aside, he has spent a fair amount of money on what must be said to be very average players.

A tight wage budget does make it difficult though, wages are far more important when it comes to building a squad than how much money is spent on transfer fees.

Villa fans being all out of patience doesn't help much neither, will a manager ever be given time again?

• Like 1

Isn't it more correct to say that Lerner gave up on top 4 when he realised how much it would cost,

and that O'Neill left due to the financial corrections Lerner planned to introduce?

Uwe Rosler and Steve McClaren strikes me as the best fit for Villa if new manager is on the agenda,

but then again I thought Lambert would be a great choice as well looking at what he'd done at Norwich.

You just never can tell how it turns out, I'm sure Lambert can do a great job elsewhere and even could have at Villa.

But he does seem to have gone a bit stale and worked himself into a corner with this team of his.

I'd actually question his transfer activities more than his performance as coach and match leader,

a jewel or two aside, he has spent a fair amount of money on what must be said to be very average players.

A tight wage budget does make it difficult though, wages are far more important when it comes to building a squad than how much money is spent on transfer fees.

Villa fans being all out of patience doesn't help much neither, will a manager ever be given time again?

Patience in football is subjective.

We shouldn't just be patient for patient's sake. If people can see some sort of subjective progress then they are likely to be patient and afford the manager some time to implement their plan.

I think Bruce has done a good job pretty much everywhere he has been to be fair.

He has - until he tries to push on. Lets not forget his sunderland were nosediving at the time he left.

But for a Lerner appointment Id be happy with Bruce - But would he come ? - would Lerner have sanctioned the winter signings of Jelvic + Long ...for example....

Mark Hughes is the man who should have replaced MON. I think it is safe to say that we would not have dropped out of the top ten under Sparky.

probably true yes, but the circumstances at the time allowed us to believe we needed a manager to get us in the top 4, not one too stop the drastic fall from top 6 too bottom 6 we have suffered.

I think Lerner gave up on our chances for the Top Four when it became apparent MON was leaving. Hughes would have been good enough to keep us in contention for the Europa League. He has a decent record in the transfer market too, and has also worked and flourished under a restricted budget at Fulham and Blackburn respectively. We missed an opportunity for real stability at the top end of the league.

Loved his quote about us too - "Aston Villa is a good job for any manager, I would suggest."

I may be mistaken but didn't we not go for Hughes because Lerner wasn't impressed by the way he had left Fulham?

• Like 1

I think Bruce has done a good job pretty much everywhere he has been to be fair.

He has - until he tries to push on. Lets not forget his sunderland were nosediving at the time he left.

But for a Lerner appointment Id be happy with Bruce - But would he come ? - would Lerner have sanctioned the winter signings of Jelvic + Long ...for example....

Lerner gives budgets per season so if he would sanction it would depend on if the manager had spent it all in the summer (which is best anyway)

Lerner gives budgets per season so if he would sanction it would depend on if the manager had spent it all in the summer (which is best anyway)

And you know this how?

I think Randy Lerner will appoint Bob Bradley this summer. He is managing Stabæk in Norway now, a team that has had its financial crisis and cut away all the older players and promoted the youth team players. The team got promoted back to the top division and now it seems that Bradley will stop another relegation against all odds.

It will get Lerner another manager who do not need a decent amount of resources to keep Aston Villa in the league.

Somebody like Steve Bruce would steady the ship, and would probably do a much better job than Lambert.  I'd like to see somebody with a bit of flair and excitement though.

Would he want a 'soulless' excuse of a club?

No to Steve Bruce or McLaren for me.

Would love to see Pullis for a couple of seasons but he is too loyal to leave Palace. Same goes for Dyche. Have watched Wigan a couple of times recently on the TV and Rosler has them playing like Martinez again. I would love to try and attract him. What about Sami Hyypia?

As a long shot Eddie Howe from Bournemouth? Jose Riga from Charlton?