Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Man that Arya scene was tough to tug to.

Yeah. My question of

“how old is Arya? Just trying to work out if I can masturbate to this”

didn’t go down well with the other half 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah. My question of

“how old is Arya? Just trying to work out if I can masturbate to this”

didn’t go down well with the other half 

Who are you pulling your pud to ?

No one love.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The problem with this and all through the series is the woeful acting. Was scenes that with talented actors might have meant something. Sansa and Dany and Dany with Jon Snow, potentially pivotal moments in the series but poor acting. Cant believe after nearly a decade the producers never once sent them to acting school

*Some* of the acting has been mediocre like Snow, Sansa, Arya, Bran. The Starks, basically 😀

Some fantastic acting though, notably Old man Lannister, The Hound, The nutter currently trying to shag Cersei, The Prince who had his brains bashed in in the duel, Jon Snow's ginger wildling girlfriend...

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually really liked this one. Set up some storylines, reminded us of some backgrounds and made my mouth water for the battle about to happen. 

The atmosphere of everyone thinking it was their last few hours gave it a really dark and morbid feeling too. 

It was far from filler imo.

You can’t complain that things are being rushed and then call this filler, imo.

I really can’t predict where the story is going to go

Yeah, agree with this. This one was much better, with some actual character development and everything being given a bit of room to breathe. 

No idea how you finish this from here in four episodes. I'll never understand why they haven't done a full season to carefully wrap things up in a way that builds tension slowly and then provides meaningful pay-offs. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, agree with this. This one was much better, with some actual character development and everything being given a bit of room to breathe. 

No idea how you finish this from here in four episodes. I'll never understand why they haven't done a full season to carefully wrap things up in a way that builds tension slowly and then provides meaningful pay-offs. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

prepare yourselves for a cliffhanger finale followed by a feature film (HBO) in 2 years

I'm more leaning towards there being a big, abrupt, classic game of thrones style ending. Like the dead actually winning and that being the end. Everyone is dead. 

next week is an 80 minute episode, I do expect to see a few culls though they have sort of given hints over who will die

I would like to know more of the Night King, more interesting than bloody Starks who I have always hated except for Sean Bean. The mother was one of worst characters in any show

• Like 1

I have enjoyed the return and I am looking forward to next weeks battle and the death of multiple characters. 

However, whilst I agree with @Stevo985 with there being some character development in the 2nd episode, I have felt that the last 2 episodes were rushed and that they could have almost justified another episode to be fitted in before the battle. It has felt that we have just touched upon each character and that's it. The Yara escape scene took less than 2 minutes, Grey Worm and Missandre seemingly have had 1 key conversation that's it, Dany forgiving Jaime for killing her father pretty quickly and Arya and Gendry getting it on after a couple of scenes, that definitely escalated quickly! 

It has felt that every conversation is there simply because it needs to be, rather than something that people would actually talk about when they have not seen each other for a very long time. There hasn't been any real rebuilding/rekindling of old friendships/rivalries and where that has happened (the Nights Watch - again a few sentences). The only scene that really did that, IMO, was the fighters sitting by the fire, which I did enjoy. I know pacing has been a massive issue of the show, but for me, it just glanced past all the build up, losing real building of suspension. I appreciate that they wanted this season to be all killer, no filler, but I do think that they have missed the mark a little bit here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Years later, I'm still annoyed about a huge part of her story just being completely ignored. 

I know what you mean but it doesn't bother me too much, I don't see how it would work, I think she becomes relegated from a major character to a 3rd tier one which is harder to do on screen and with where we are now I don't see she fits, what would her story be right now? 

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Years later, I'm still annoyed about a huge part of her story just being completely ignored. 

In fairness, I think that the fact that it was ditched suggests that it's not such a huge part of her story. 

Unless it actually leads to something, occasionally dropping in to see a few more Frey soldiers being lynched doesn't really add much.

See also: John Connington

But to counter my own argument, it's a pretty big part of the Jaime / Brienne characterisation, culminating in last night's episode - and it's not as if they desperately needed Brienne to be staring at that candle in the window for a whole season while Jaime pissed about in Dorne. 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

It has felt that every conversation is there simply because it needs to be, rather than something that people would actually talk about when they have not seen each other for a very long time. 

They're in a bit of a no-win situation there though.

The most natural thing that would happen is that they would talk about what they've done since they last saw each other.

"Got captured a bunch of times. Worked for Tywin Lannister a bit. Escaped, went to Essos, hooked up with these creepy, inconsistent assassins. Came back, killed all the Freys then back to Winterfell and executed Littlefinger. You?"

"Leech-sex and rowing mainly".

But if a dozen characters spent an hour summarising the last thirty or so episodes for each other then just imagine the lazy storytelling accusations that would come their way.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They're in a bit of a no-win situation there though.

The most natural thing that would happen is that they would talk about what they've done since they last saw each other.

"Got captured a bunch of times. Worked for Tywin Lannister a bit. Escaped, went to Essos, hooked up with these creepy, inconsistent assassins. Came back, killed all the Freys then back to Winterfell and executed Littlefinger. You?"

"Leech-sex and rowing mainly".

But if a dozen characters spent an hour summarising the last thirty or so episodes for each other then just imagine the lazy storytelling accusations that would come their way.

Yeah I can see the accusations being made, but surely there's a middle ground in there? Rather than simply state what has happened, put their spin or discuss what was important to them. It doesn't have to be a regurgitation, but it will help the characters develop the relationships given how much each of them has gone through to get here, particularly as they are likely to kill off a few in next weeks episode.

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Yeah I can see the accusations being made, but surely there's a middle ground in there? Rather than simply state what has happened, put their spin or discuss what was important to them. It doesn't have to be a regurgitation, but it will help the characters develop the relationships given how much each of them has gone through to get here, particularly as they are likely to kill off a few in next weeks episode.

Possibly where we differ is that I think they pretty much did find the middle ground. 

Those reunions are going to manifest themselves in different ways. So for some, the "explain in detail everything that has happened" is fully in character for Tyrion to ask Bran so we get it (thankfully off-screen). That's exactly who I'd expect Tyrion to want to talk to and to want the details.

But stoic grunting is pretty much what I'd expect for Arya and Sandor in their reunion, repressed chivalry is about right for Jaime / Brienne and morbid piss-taking for Edd and the Night's Watch remnants. 

It wasn't perfect, but I think on balance most of it was judged pretty much as I'd have wanted it.

With the caveat that it felt a lot like we were deliberately checking in on people for the last time. So if next week we lose Gendry, Grey Worm, Jorah, Edd, Theon, Tormund and one of Jaime / Brienne I'll feel a bit let-down. As it should be better than signposting it so heavily.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

Â