Leicester City

Villan4Life

32 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I imagine they will sell loads of merchandise globally. They aren't going to be short of a bob or two and they can offer Mahrez a super new contract. Probably wont get as much at Barcelona.

I have to assume you're joking.

In particular on point one and three.

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of business Leicester are able to do in the summer. Everyone's speculating on how they'll do next season, but a lot will depend on who they keep and who they bring in.

Will they seek to improve on the likes of Danny Simpson, which could be an upgrade on the talent, yet could also simultaneous disrupt the balance of the team?

I believe they're not exactly short of cash these days, and Ranieri is a manager that players will want to play, for so I doubt they'll have much problem bringing in some quality players from around Europe. Especially from a wages perspective. It will be interesting to see what teams within the PL they're able to poach talent from. Would they be able to sign a Barkley, Ineanacho, Mane if they wanted?

Man U, Citeh and Chelsea will always have a certain pull, but could the likes of Arsenal, Spuds or Liverpool feasibly poach someone like Kante if they wanted?

Good point. Simpson has been solid this season, but there are clearly better options available. Same goes for a lot of positions. I wouldn't think of replacing Schmeichel, Fuchs, Huth, Morgan, Mahrez, Kante, or Vardy. Maybe getting competition for the likes of Simpson, Drinkwater, Alrighton, and Okazaki would be good though. Then try to get good depth for the other positions. But what types of players would they be able to sign? They clearly won't be able to get the Reus' of the world, but maybe some upper midtable talent isn't out of the questions. I still think Benteke would be a good signing for them. I'd also go for Schurrle on the left. He is a hard worker who knows the league. 

23 hours ago, AndyBM said:

the worst thing to happen to the premier league is leicester winning it, and to the champions league.

Why? Just curious?

For me its the greatest thing to happen in modern football (Sky / 1992 onwards)

because they may have used stoke tactics to get as far as they have so far, and by that i mean bullying their way to wins, but they will be out of their depth in the champs league and they look embarrassing to british football.

also, and i would like someone to correct me on this as im not too clued up on the champs league, but i read that if they dont make it past the group stage, then england lose the 4th place next season, which even though it matters not to villa, its still better to see 4 english teams than 3, which is also a knock on affect of income?

so if the above is true, then ye, its a problem, they dont exactly ooze class either.

21 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

because they may have used stoke tactics to get as far as they have so far, and by that i mean bullying their way to wins, but they will be out of their depth in the champs league and they look embarrassing to british football.

also, and i would like someone to correct me on this as im not too clued up on the champs league, but i read that if they dont make it past the group stage, then england lose the 4th place next season, which even though it matters not to villa, its still better to see 4 english teams than 3, which is also a knock on affect of income?

so if the above is true, then ye, its a problem, they dont exactly ooze class either.

"Embarrassment" to British football? LOL Ok. Just like the usual British clubs who invariably amount to nothing in that competition? Besides, who gives a shit about British clubs in the Champions League, I want them all to go out in the group stages anyway.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

22 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

Do you work for Sky?

What a load of tripe :crylaugh:

28 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

No, Italian clubs didn't do great this season and Man. City and Liverpool have had good runs so England's 4 places are safe for another few seasons now.

I don't see them as an embarrassment in the CL.

Remember when Stoke qualified for europa league under Pulis, now that was a proper long ball team with Delap's throw ins aswell and yet they comfortably qualified from their group which had Beskitas in. Even in the knock outs Valencia only narrowly beat them over two legs.

Let's remember some euro teams will struggle against Leicester's style of play aswell, the 3rd and 4th pot teams are roughly the standard you'd get in the europa. 

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of business Leicester are able to do in the summer. Everyone's speculating on how they'll do next season, but a lot will depend on who they keep and who they bring in.

Will they seek to improve on the likes of Danny Simpson, which could be an upgrade on the talent, yet could also simultaneous disrupt the balance of the team?

I believe they're not exactly short of cash these days, and Ranieri is a manager that players will want to play, for so I doubt they'll have much problem bringing in some quality players from around Europe. Especially from a wages perspective. It will be interesting to see what teams within the PL they're able to poach talent from. Would they be able to sign a Barkley, Ineanacho, Mane if they wanted?

Man U, Citeh and Chelsea will always have a certain pull, but could the likes of Arsenal, Spuds or Liverpool feasibly poach someone like Kante if they wanted?

I said this almost verbatim a while back, it's a really tough decision to make. I guess the safe option is to do what Bournemouth did at the start of this season - buy quality players good enough for the starting XI and also young potential, but start the campaign with as much of the same successful team as this season. If and when it doesn't quite go as well, bring them in to the side as and where it's needed to avoid disrupting the chemistry.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

They don't play like Stoke under Pullis. 

No but my point was if Stoke under Pulis can comfortably get through their europa league group I'm sure Leicester can get through their CL group and not be "an embarrassment."

When you're top seeds in CL the groups you're in aren't that much more difficult than in the europa league.

Look at the group Arsenal were in:

Munich

Olympiakos

Zagreb.

Would Leicester would be an embarrassment in that, fair enough Munich would be  very tough but they would be very capable of getting 8 points from other 4 games imo.

And Arsenal nearly fcuked up that group.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

"Embarrassment" to British football? LOL Ok. Just like the usual British clubs who invariably amount to nothing in that competition? Besides, who gives a shit about British clubs in the Champions League, I want them all to go out in the group stages anyway.

the mighty Man Utd lost to tiny Midjylland this season, thats more embarrassing than anything LEicester will do in Europe

• Like 1

The group stage is worth £20-30m, each round after that is another £10m, the winner gets circa £80m I think

Why do want another prem team getting that?

And that's before you then have their fans having that enjoyment and the team that prestige, **** the lot of them

But a premier league team is going to get that. I'd rather see someone new getting it than the same old clubs every year.

If it was always someone new then the league would be a much more level playign field. It will never work like that, but there you go

• Like 1

Â