Leicester City

Villan4Life

Leicester have been top for most of the season, no other team have played with that pressure, in fact whenever Tottenham have been close they have bottled it. Leicester have been the best side by far up until now. They fully deserve to go on and win the title and I don't think luck has played any more a part in winning the title than any other side that has won it. 

• Like 1

They say Ranieri is a true gent......I don't dispute that, but it is a two -way street.

I wonder if he would appear to be a true gent with our lot of self serving rabble?

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Why? I think they're absolutely brilliant. A great advert for the game and sport, and indeed life. What can be achieved. 

Chuffed to bits for my dad and brother in law who both support them and I hope that one day villa give me an ounce of the joy they've given them.

11 players, none of which individually special to a massive extent but together - brilliant. Hard work, keep it simple, fearless and belief. 4 things that no team has an excuse not to have.

Truly remarkable and I would think that there won't be a sporting achievement like this for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. 

I think it will happen again , just like it has with Forest and Villa, Derby too, in the past.

Mourinho did it with Porto too.

Timescale, you can never tell, its the coming together of so many factors.

but for sure it will happen again.

absolutely delighted for them.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Where did I ever deny that? All I'm saying is that they've had a bit more luck than usual.

More than Chelsea in winning the champions league in 2012? Or Liverpool?

Generally you can get lucky winning a cup competition, I just can't for the life of me see how you can be lucky over a 9 month period. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it will happen again , just like it has with Forest and Villa, Derby too, in the past.

Mourinho did it with Porto too.

Timescale, you can never tell, its the coming together of so many factors.

but for sure it will happen again.

absolutely delighted for them.

I don't think any of them are as impressive. Villa certainly isn't and derby and forest were completely different era where money was not involved. 

Talking about a team who were on the brink of relegation and have barely lost a game since as they romp to the premier league title.

Of course some luck counts over the course of the season, you basically hope no other team is extremely lucky in many games - compared to your own fortunes. Over 38 games is it impossible to stay on top if you are not among the best teams - luck will not get you there. Sure it is possible a team loses a deserved title based on luck; incorrect decisions made in extremely important games, red cards, penalties in the 96th minute and so on. However, nobody discusses a late own-goal against or a wrongful penalty in the 5th game of the season going against a team that end up winning the title in the end, those things are forgotten and all you end up with is the highlights of the season. Over 38 games, the element of luck can be discussed only if you analyze every single game for every single club. There might be some strange findings, but I would argue the better teams are "lucky" because they are better than the other teams - and the random referee error is distributed nicely between the top teams anyway. If a team with a normal attacking patters receives 45 penalties and 0 red cards over 38 games, then something's up, but it's not like that is happening anywhere.

Vardy was sent off and they didn't win against West Ham, which was unlucky, but then they got a dodgy penalty in the end and got the draw, which was lucky. If Vardy was given a penalty (deemed not to be diving)/or nothing at all I think very few people would argue it was a dive after the game which Leicester would have comfortably won. Luck is not only about the big decisions in big games at the end of the season, it's about all decisions over the course of the season. Alli should have had a red card against WBA and Spurs might have lost that game, there are hundreds of these decisions for all teams every season.

The fact is that Leicester have lost three games all season. Against Arsenal last they were playing well at 1-1 and got a red card in the 54th minute. What astounds me is not their resilience in "big" games against Man United, Man City and Chelsea - it's that they haven't lost against West Ham, Swansea, Sunderland, Everton etc. These teams always win out of nothing everywhere because the bigger teams have an off-day, but Leicester have not slipped once against these teams. I remember Sunderland beating Man City 1-0, a typical win out of nowhere which can be expected over 38 games - Leicester have none of them. I also remember the game where Leicester huffed and puffed against WBA at home, drawing and creating numerous chances without scoring - they lost two points and everyone was like "oh, it's starting". They actually gained one point that week as everyone else lost!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

More than Chelsea in winning the champions league in 2012? Or Liverpool?

Generally you can get lucky winning a cup competition, I just can't for the life of me see how you can be lucky over a 9 month period. 

Yes, although of course those teams also had a lot of luck.

27 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Of course some luck counts over the course of the season, you basically hope no other team is extremely lucky in many games - compared to your own fortunes. Over 38 games is it impossible to stay on top if you are not among the best teams - luck will not get you there. Sure it is possible a team loses a deserved title based on luck; incorrect decisions made in extremely important games, red cards, penalties in the 96th minute and so on. However, nobody discusses a late own-goal against or a wrongful penalty in the 5th game of the season going against a team that end up winning the title in the end, those things are forgotten and all you end up with is the highlights of the season. Over 38 games, the element of luck can be discussed only if you analyze every single game for every single club. There might be some strange findings, but I would argue the better teams are "lucky" because they are better than the other teams - and the random referee error is distributed nicely between the top teams anyway. If a team with a normal attacking patters receives 45 penalties and 0 red cards over 38 games, then something's up, but it's not like that is happening anywhere.

Vardy was sent off and they didn't win against West Ham, which was unlucky, but then they got a dodgy penalty in the end and got the draw, which was lucky. If Vardy was given a penalty (deemed not to be diving)/or nothing at all I think very few people would argue it was a dive after the game which Leicester would have comfortably won. Luck is not only about the big decisions in big games at the end of the season, it's about all decisions over the course of the season. Alli should have had a red card against WBA and Spurs might have lost that game, there are hundreds of these decisions for all teams every season.

The fact is that Leicester have lost three games all season. Against Arsenal last they were playing well at 1-1 and got a red card in the 54th minute. What astounds me is not their resilience in "big" games against Man United, Man City and Chelsea - it's that they haven't lost against West Ham, Swansea, Sunderland, Everton etc. These teams always win out of nothing everywhere because the bigger teams have an off-day, but Leicester have not slipped once against these teams. I remember Sunderland beating Man City 1-0, a typical win out of nowhere which can be expected over 38 games - Leicester have none of them. I also remember the game where Leicester huffed and puffed against WBA at home, drawing and creating numerous chances without scoring - they lost two points and everyone was like "oh, it's starting". They actually gained one point that week as everyone else lost!

Yeah that was the week that convinced me Leicester would win the league, they dropped points and the following night Man. City, Spurs and Arsenal all lost.

Welcome back anyway Paps. 

5 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I don't think any of them are as impressive. Villa certainly isn't and derby and forest were completely different era where money was not involved. 

Talking about a team who were on the brink of relegation and have barely lost a game since as they romp to the premier league title.

yes granted, but Villa and Forest went on to lift the ultimate European prize, too

Edited by TRO

leicester have been very good this season but have got lucky that chelsea,united,city have all been way below par. also arsenal and liverpool have been the same old so they have been fortunate. if they get top 6 next season id be surprised and can even see them self destructing financially in the next few seasons. well done though,they deserve it.

• Like 1

Assuming Spurs hang on tonight, the pressure is REALLY on Leicester now.

They've handled the pressure up until now. But I'd argue it's never been higher than it will be for the next 2 games. And they're not easy.

I can see Spurs winning theirs.

Which means Leicester HAVE to win one of their last two.

And if they lose on saturday they HAVE to win their next game. The pressure is growing and growing.

I still think they'll do it, but to say there's "no pressure" on them is crazy.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can see Spurs winning theirs.

Which means Leicester HAVE to win one of their last two.

And if they lose on saturday they HAVE to win their next game. The pressure is growing and growing.

I still think they'll do it, but to say there's "no pressure" on them is crazy.

Newcastle staying up in your book are they? ;)

Spurs do the unthinkable and beat Chelsea away tonight then they will win their last two games for sure. All Leicester need to do is draw against Everton then the pressure is going to be unbearable. Chelsea will not throw their last game, they will want to prove they are capable of beating the potential champions.

Love how people claim Leicester are lucky because all the big clubs had an off year... pure lucky that they bothered to take this opportunity unlike the rest of the also-ran clubs, and the sewage like Villa.

• Like 2

Just now, Jareth said:

Spurs do the unthinkable and beat Chelsea away tonight then they will win their last two games for sure. All Leicester need to do is draw against Everton then the pressure is going to be unbearable. Chelsea will not throw their last game, they will want to prove they are capable of beating the potential champions.

They dropped points against West Brom. I dont think any game is certain. Southampton and Newcastle have a lot to play for.

Â