Leicester City

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Will be interesting to see how they do next season. Even if they keep hold of their best players I think they could finish 5th or 6th.

Yes the champions league might have an impact on their league form though

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Will be interesting to see how they do next season. Even if they keep hold of their best players I think they could finish 5th or 6th.

They would be ecstatic with that.

I'm being serious but I'd check the relegation odds, I imagine they would be generous.

I'm not saying they'll go down but wouldn't shock me if they're in the bottom half, we see time and again how europe can mess up league campaigns for clubs who aren't used to it.

Would any of their fans care though, I think not. Pretty much all of them would've seen Leicester relegated at least once but winning the league is a once in a lifetime moment. 

I'm sure they will invest wisely.  so dont think they will be anywhere near relegation next season. Might be like us in 82 when we finished mid table. The season before we won it we only finished 8th.

28 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

the worst thing to happen to the premier league is leicester winning it, and to the champions league.

They'll be top seeds as Uefa changed the rules so league winners are in first pot. So would imagine they'll get a decent group, I'd back them against likes of Genk and Bate Borisov.

If Wolfsburg can make the quarters after selling De Bruyne Leicester have a decent chance of making the knock outs. 

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They'll be top seeds as Uefa changed the rules so league winners are in first pot. So would imagine they'll get a decent group, I'd back them against likes of Genk and Bate Borisov.

If Wolfsburg can make the quarters after selling De Bruyne Leicester have a decent chance of making the knock outs. 

after the game tonight, they wouldnt be fearing anybody

• Like 1

I don't think they'll do well in the CL, their fans will moan like **** but their energy and enthusiasm will lead to soft game breaking pressure let off fouls, it's hard to explain but I just think some teams know how to play European football whilst others are incredibly naive, we suffered from it, just a mentality and experience thing, hardly any of the Leicester squad has that experience

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think they'll do well in the CL, their fans will moan like **** but their energy and enthusiasm will lead to soft game breaking pressure let off fouls, it's hard to explain but I just think some teams know how to play European football whilst others are incredibly naive, we suffered from it, just a mentality and experience thing, hardly any of the Leicester squad has that experience

Fuchs, Huth, Ranieri, Okazaki, Wasilewski even Danny Simpson has a good bit of European experience

You can't coach it IMO so ranieri makes no difference, those 4 (don't know bout wasilewski, does he ever play?) have 75 games between them in European competition so it's not experienced

I don't think the battle in European football is the leap in quality I think it's in the mentality, it's playing midweek, its the traveling, it's then the difference is styles, the difference in reffing, I think everything about modern day European football favours those that are acclimatised to the competition, when was the last time a "new" team did something in the CL? Villarreal? It's taken city with all their experience, quality and money about 5 years to get their heads round it, I don't see why people will look at Leicester and expect them to take a running jump at it

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

With regards to Leicester probably yes, to the media fawning that will follow it, hell no, its not their fault and I've got no issue with them, I've got an issue with what will follow them 

But the 'media fawning' is entirely correct. A 5,000-1 outsider came home. Now, to an extent that reflects stupid pricing on the part of bookies (they wouldn't even give a horse with three legs those kind of odds, and I can't really see any justification for odds in a sporting event of more than a few hundred to one, but this is by the by) but it genuinely is astonishing. And the media scrum over the story isn't 'because it's Leicester', it's 'because it's amazing'. If a political party won election with those odds, if a sprinter with those odds won in the Olympics, if a mother was about to give birth to octuplets, there would be a media scrum. 

'Jamie Vardy: The Movie' sounds pretty painful, but also pretty well pitched in this country. 'Eddie The Eagle' is currently towards the top of the box office. 

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Jamie Vardy: The Movie' sounds pretty painful, but also pretty well pitched in this country. 'Eddie The Eagle' is currently towards the top of the box office.

It was before my time, but wasn't Eddie the Eagle quite a likeable and popular guy?

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

But the 'media fawning' is entirely correct. A 5,000-1 outsider came home. Now, to an extent that reflects stupid pricing on the part of bookies (they wouldn't even give a horse with three legs those kind of odds, and I can't really see any justification for odds in a sporting event of more than a few hundred to one, but this is by the by) but it genuinely is astonishing. And the media scrum over the story isn't 'because it's Leicester', it's 'because it's amazing'. If a political party won election with those odds, if a sprinter with those odds won in the Olympics, if a mother was about to give birth to octuplets, there would be a media scrum. 

Yes but Vardy is good at what he does, Eddie the Eagle, was crap. Big difference between the two.

Edited by PaulC

It will be interesting to see what kind of business Leicester are able to do in the summer. Everyone's speculating on how they'll do next season, but a lot will depend on who they keep and who they bring in.

Will they seek to improve on the likes of Danny Simpson, which could be an upgrade on the talent, yet could also simultaneous disrupt the balance of the team?

I believe they're not exactly short of cash these days, and Ranieri is a manager that players will want to play, for so I doubt they'll have much problem bringing in some quality players from around Europe. Especially from a wages perspective. It will be interesting to see what teams within the PL they're able to poach talent from. Would they be able to sign a Barkley, Ineanacho, Mane if they wanted?

Man U, Citeh and Chelsea will always have a certain pull, but could the likes of Arsenal, Spuds or Liverpool feasibly poach someone like Kante if they wanted?

Â