Leicester City

Villan4Life

11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

What did old Black say? (paraphrasing) "I might not have the best players... But I have the Shittest!" Villa are showing that to the max. Run themselves to the wall every match. 

Fixed.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Jamie Vardy has just won the FWA Footballer of the Year award.   Mahrez took PFA Player of the year.   Claudio is pretty much guaranteed manager of the year.   Who wins Leicester City's player of the year though? 

Guest av1
8 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Jamie Vardy has just won the FWA Footballer of the Year award.   Mahrez took PFA Player of the year.   Claudio is pretty much guaranteed manager of the year.   Who wins Leicester City's player of the year though? 

I was listening to an interview with Mark Albrighton the other day (sadly I can't remember where) and whilst the interviewer was keen to talk about Mahrez and Vardy, Mark wanted to talk about Kante. He seems very well liked amongst the Leicester players and I'd imagine that goes for the fans too. 

Oh Kante will win players award for sure, he covers every blade of grass and more for them.

Who's been their weak link this year, I'd go for Danny SImpson if only for his performances in the big games. Needlessly sent off v Arsenal and same could've easily happened yesterday, would imagine they'll upgrade on RB for next season.

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I think that's a bit unfair. They haven't had anymore luck than what is generally associated with a team at the top of the league. Whoever wins the league has luck - I just don't think it's highlighted as much due to The usual league winners normally being full of world class players.

They have. They've had a ridiculously low amount of injuries and when players have been injured it's only been for a short amount of time. The referees have also been incredibly kind to them this season although the standard of refereeing in general has been shocking this season. I did say though that for any team of that stature to win the league they'd need ridiculous luck though.

I think you're massively underating the achievement.

'One of the greatest achievements in football'?

Itl be by far the greatest achievement in football. Not only that Itl be the greatest achievement in sport.

They not only look like winning it. They look like winning it with ease. Everytime they've been tested, they've responded. They went to the etihad and simply tore man city to pieces for example.

I'm not. The only reason why I didn't say the greatest is because I can't instantly recall every single great achievement in every sport.

Talk about nitpicking.

I'd move on. Looking back, it was one of the highlights of our season that game.

I expect most football fans have a dislike for certain teams that isn't entirely rational and this is one of mine. Even though we were dreadful in the closing stages of that game they were still very jammy.

Probably Deportivo when they won La Liga in 2000 but they spent a lot more money than Leicester have.

Nearest example would be Real Soceidad nearly winning La Liga in 2003, Nihat and Kovacevic were brilliant that season as a front two but they just fell away at the end.

Atletico Madrid winning the league two years ago was a brilliant achievement but they're still a massive club in Spain, arguably 3rd best after the big two.

Look to Bundesliga for surprise winners, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg both won it in last 10 years.

To me I always thought Greece winning Euro 2004 and domestically Wigan winning the FA cup would be the biggest shocks I'd ever see in football but those are cup competitions with few games and more elements of luck.

Winning it over 38 games isn't luck. Heck it's not like they're only a point clear, they're 8 points clear! Sort of lead a Fergie led Man. United or Chelsea led Mourinho would have on the chasing pack. 

• Like 1

Good for Vardy. he deserves it. Kante has been brilliant, Morgan, Fuchs, Drinkwater and Schmeichel have all been  major players for Leicester. Each would be deserving of their player of the year award. Could be a Leicester double tonight with Mark Selby in the Snooker.

Guest av1
43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

think they have had at 7 players that could win their player of year and you wouldnt have much to complain

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Good for Vardy. he deserves it. Kante has been brilliant, Morgan, Fuchs, Drinkwater and Schmeichel have all been  major players for Leicester. Each would be deserving of their player of the year award. 

Agree with both posts. And that is the reason they are where they are, individually they may not be the best in the league  (though Vardy, Kante, and Mahrez would get into most teams) but they have been the best team. To achieve anything in football (though there are the odd exceptions) you need at least 6/7 players to be on top of there game, and with Leicester, as the posts above allude to, they have probably had 8/9. 

Fully deserve to be champions. 

they have really fought like a team and it really shows in the interviews as well. like when ulloa was interviewed after their 4-0 game against swansea, and even though he's been benching most of the season, goes on how it is such an honor to be part of this leicester team. they're playing for each other and not themselves and it really has paid off. all the best to them, they fully deserve it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

They have. They've had a ridiculously low amount of injuries and when players have been injured it's only been for a short amount of time. 

They are also undoubtedly the fittest team in the league. Injuries aren't just bad luck. It can come down to fitness and dare I say it, the attitude of the player.  Perhaps their fitness coach and physio need some credit too?

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

They are also undoubtedly the fittest team in the league. Injuries aren't just bad luck. It can come down to fitness and dare I say it, the attitude of the player.  Perhaps their fitness coach and physio need some credit too?

Most definitely. you don't see this lot slumping it in the last 10 minutes like our team of tossers.

Or their pharmacist ;)

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Winning it over 38 games isn't luck. Heck it's not like they're only a point clear, they're 8 points clear! Sort of lead a Fergie led Man. United or Chelsea led Mourinho would have on the chasing pack. 

Nobody has said it's all luck but luck still plays a part.

39 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Of course their fitness team deserve a lot of credit, but there's still luck involved.

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Nobody has said it's all luck but luck still plays a part.

Of course their fitness team deserve a lot of credit, but there's still luck involved.

But pretty much every team that has ever won anything has had an element of luck. It could be a ball bouncing the right way, a key decision going for you or against a rival, fortune with injuries or suspensions, the fixtures stacking up in such a way that you always seems to be playing teams when they are out of form. There are a hundred small factors which can go for you in a season of success.  Leicester aren't the first team to profit from it and they certainly won't be the last. 

**EDIT**

An unrelated point, but as I typed this message my four year old son was sitting next to me eating a cheese sandwich.   He just asked this: 

"Dad.  Who's Mantis?  Who is Mantis?"

I'm not sure whether he's genuinely curious or he's talking smack.  He likes Leicester though, we've got family in Leicester who can literally see the King Power stadium from their living room window.  We were there visiting yesterday so his head might be full of Leicester City FC. 

(Don't worry though, he's a Villa fan)

Edited by The_Rev

9 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

But pretty much every team that has ever won anything has had an element of luck. It could be a ball bouncing the right way, a key decision going for you or against a rival, fortune with injuries or suspensions, the fixtures stacking up in such a way that you always seems to be playing teams when they are out of form. There are a hundred small factors which can go for you in a season of success.  Leicester aren't the first team to profit from it and they certainly won't be the last. 

Where did I ever deny that? All I'm saying is that they've had a bit more luck than usual.

Not only do i think leicester have has no more luck than most,  I actually don't think any of Leicester's achievement should be put down to luck. Luck is a part of any winning formula in any win. 

There is a big difference between making the most of your opportunities and 'being lucky'.

They have got everything completely spot on and they deserve enormous credit.

Do teams notice the luck they get when they don't go on and win the game? You still have to make the most of their opportunity and they have done just that. 

Â