Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

So by my reckoning we still need

- A left back - Assuming Luna will be off and big ? still over Bennetts ability to cut it.

- A DM - been weak in this area for years.

- Another wide forward - competition and ideally 1st 11 displacement for one of Weimann or Gabby. We have N'Zog coming back but after losing Albrighton still think we need one more.

- A striker - possibly with Benteke injured but with Bent coming back I'd be inclined to risk it. 

If we have any money to spend where do you spend it and what do you patch with the freebies?

I'd say LB personally and then see what can be done to cover other positions.

Sylla will be off shortly, I think Lowton and/or Bennett will follow as well. I guess that would add some funds to the kitty.

Got some information on Sylla then?

Nothing more really than what is already out there, he wants to leave.

So by "will be off shortly" you really mean "wants to leave" ;)

Do you think Sylla is the sort of player we'll be fighting to keep when he doesn't want to be here?

Sylla will be off shortly, I think Lowton and/or Bennett will follow as well. I guess that would add some funds to the kitty.

Got some information on Sylla then?

Nothing more really than what is already out there, he wants to leave.

So by "will be off shortly" you really mean "wants to leave" ;)

Do you think Sylla is the sort of player we'll be fighting to keep when he doesn't want to be here?

No... but I also don't think he's the kind that would have many offers.

Any defensive midfielders currently available for free?

What's Reo Coker up to these days?  :blink:

Hanging around in the car park outside the ROI team hotel in the US muttering 'I could have been a contender' and clutching an iron bar he borrowed from Tonya Harding.

• Like 2

So by my reckoning we still need

- A left back - Assuming Luna will be off and big ? still over Bennetts ability to cut it.

- A DM - been weak in this area for years.

- Another wide forward - competition and ideally 1st 11 displacement for one of Weimann or Gabby. We have N'Zog coming back but after losing Albrighton still think we need one more.

- A striker - possibly with Benteke injured but with Bent coming back I'd be inclined to risk it. 

If we have any money to spend where do you spend it and what do you patch with the freebies?

I'd say LB personally and then see what can be done to cover other positions.

I don't see the point in buying another fullback.

If it is a Lambert fullback signing, he will be rubbish regardless.

the creditials of a striker needed, needs to be broader, we either need a targetman (like benteke or kozak) or a forward playing winger (like gabby or weimann) imo, we dont need another of the latter, we need a target man

Only six Eredivisie players have provided nine or more assists in each of the last two seasons. Five of them play for the richest teams but the other has just avoided relegation. Is Roda JC Kerkrade midfielder Mitchell Donald the Eredivisie’s undiscovered gem?

Following on from the previous “Analyse This” article identifying potential young stars of the Eredivisie, we decided to expand this look into our data out in the search for other prospects. Sticking to the original formula of nine or more assists but now over the last two seasons and not restricting age produces a very interesting result.

The six players who have provided at least nine assists in each of the last two Eredivisie seasons are Christian Eriksen (Ajax, 17 in 2011/2012, 13 in 2012/2013), Dries Mertens (PSV, 17, 14), Dusan Tadic (FC Groningen and FC Twente, 9, 15), Jeremain Lens (PSV, 11, 10), Kevin Strootman (PSV, 9, 11) and Mitchell Donald (Roda JC Kerkrade, 10, 9).

Roda midfielder Mitchell Donald is now 24-years-old but has only played regular Eredivisie football for the last two seasons, having previously played in just 22 matches – starting just 14 – in the competition prior to 2011/2012. Earlier in his career, at Ajax, Donald suffered a cruciate ligament which put him out for the whole of the 2008/2009 season just as it looked like he would break through into the Ajax first team. Since returning to fitness in 2009, he has had no further injury problems and now has two more or less full seasons behind him for the first time.

So, is it possible that we have found an undervalued talent here by using only data on assists? The other five players who fulfil our criteria are already at big clubs in the Netherlands. Donald has been discarded by a big club but relatively late on after threatening to break through. To complete the picture of his two seasons at Roda, Donald has also scored six Eredivisie goals to add to the two he scored earlier in his career for Ajax and Willem II. Surely he is worth a look for someone?

• Like 1

Only six Eredivisie players have provided nine or more assists in each of the last two seasons. Five of them play for the richest teams but the other has just avoided relegation. Is Roda JC Kerkrade midfielder Mitchell Donald the Eredivisie’s undiscovered gem?

Following on from the previous “Analyse This” article identifying potential young stars of the Eredivisie, we decided to expand this look into our data out in the search for other prospects. Sticking to the original formula of nine or more assists but now over the last two seasons and not restricting age produces a very interesting result.

The six players who have provided at least nine assists in each of the last two Eredivisie seasons are Christian Eriksen (Ajax, 17 in 2011/2012, 13 in 2012/2013), Dries Mertens (PSV, 17, 14), Dusan Tadic (FC Groningen and FC Twente, 9, 15), Jeremain Lens (PSV, 11, 10), Kevin Strootman (PSV, 9, 11) and Mitchell Donald (Roda JC Kerkrade, 10, 9).

Roda midfielder Mitchell Donald is now 24-years-old but has only played regular Eredivisie football for the last two seasons, having previously played in just 22 matches – starting just 14 – in the competition prior to 2011/2012. Earlier in his career, at Ajax, Donald suffered a cruciate ligament which put him out for the whole of the 2008/2009 season just as it looked like he would break through into the Ajax first team. Since returning to fitness in 2009, he has had no further injury problems and now has two more or less full seasons behind him for the first time.

So, is it possible that we have found an undervalued talent here by using only data on assists? The other five players who fulfil our criteria are already at big clubs in the Netherlands. Donald has been discarded by a big club but relatively late on after threatening to break through. To complete the picture of his two seasons at Roda, Donald has also scored six Eredivisie goals to add to the two he scored earlier in his career for Ajax and Willem II. Surely he is worth a look for someone?

Nice report of him!! I would be excited to see him here on a bosman free to see what he can do!!

People like Mehdi Benatia and Miranda have been bosman's around 25 years old and both was older than Donald before there became well known..

He is at a good age to take a punt

Edited by Villan4Life

Of the players who are out of contract this summer according to the link mentioned earlier...http://transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege, I would go for...

RB - Christian Villagra, John Heitinga or Evgeny Makeev

LB - Urby Emanuelson

DM - Alex Tettey

LW - Anthony Pilkington or Pavel Yakovlev (Could be the new Tonev)

ST - Eduardo or Nicklas Bendtner

Admittedly wages could be an issue but if we are only signing players on frees it is the best of what is available.

• Like 1

I think its unlikely we will get him, the sources of the link are just people on Twitter, no news stories etc.

Oh and it also comes with a trusty "Leicester want him as well".

If we are to believe it though, he is apparently in Bham right now.

Edited by samjp26

IncogAVFC @IncogAVFC · 3m

Discussions held with reps of Donald , Pilkington and Bendtner. If any of these moves progress then you will find out via this feed #avfc

Out of those 3 he's the 1st one that I've seen mention Donald, the other 2 have all been talked about and linked elsewhere, but he'll no doubt give it the big "it old you so if they come true"