Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

I have to admit I do find the complete change in transfer policy quite strange. We all know we've needed experience for a while but it's like we've gone from one extreme to the other.

Its not really.

The first couple of years the aim was reduce the wage bill and age of the squad, get rid of the high earners and bring in young hungry players on low money who could develop and increase in value. That way the wage bill decreased and the basis of a squad was in place to build upon once the finances were sorted.

This summer would have seen Lambert backed to build on the cheap young squad with a small number of higher priced better quality players. Only he changed his mind, or never intended to see the second half of the plan through.

Lambert is then left with a tiny transfer pot and the choice of buying cheap young players again, or saving on transfer fee's and going for more experienced better played players.

I think he has recognised that more young, inexperienced players would be something we couldn't cope with, so in the absence of being able to buy experienced players he is utilising the Bosman market.

I really don't see it as being a change in transfer policy from Lambert but rather a complete u-turn by Lerner meaning that Lambert is having to adjust and make the most of a pretty bad hand.

So Lerner didn't plan on selling the club a couple of seasons ago and the plan really was to sort us out financially before starting again?

I have to admit I do find the complete change in transfer policy quite strange. We all know we've needed experience for a while but it's like we've gone from one extreme to the other.

Its not really.

The first couple of years the aim was reduce the wage bill and age of the squad, get rid of the high earners and bring in young hungry players on low money who could develop and increase in value. That way the wage bill decreased and the basis of a squad was in place to build upon once the finances were sorted.

This summer would have seen Lambert backed to build on the cheap young squad with a small number of higher priced better quality players. Only he changed his mind, or never intended to see the second half of the plan through.

Lambert is then left with a tiny transfer pot and the choice of buying cheap young players again, or saving on transfer fee's and going for more experienced better played players.

I think he has recognised that more young, inexperienced players would be something we couldn't cope with, so in the absence of being able to buy experienced players he is utilising the Bosman market.

I really don't see it as being a change in transfer policy from Lambert but rather a complete u-turn by Lerner meaning that Lambert is having to adjust and make the most of a pretty bad hand.

So Lerner didn't plan on selling the club a couple of seasons ago and the plan really was to sort us out financially before starting again?

Or that is what he told Lambert. Depends what you believe I guess.

Rumblings on twitter about someone coming home? No names as yet. Anyone heard if we are trying to tempt Barry back?

I want to believe it could be one of the two or three I'd be glad to have back, but it's probably Zat Knight.

You just know its gonna be Agent Ridgewell......

**shudder** but, would he be a better option at LB than Luna or Bennett?

Holding onto the hope that Gareth Barry returns to the club - I think he'd be brilliant alongside delph and westwood (and certainly bring their game on)

I think the below line-up wouldn't be bad at all.

..............Guzan

Bacuna.Vlaar.Okore.LB?

.Westwood.Barry.Delph

...............Cole

......Benteke.Weimann

Subs: Steer, Senderos, Lowton, KEA, N'Zogbia, Gabby, Grealish (plus the likes of Gardner, Kozak, Robinson, Baker, Clark, Luna, Bennett)

• Like 2

Rumblings on twitter about someone coming home? No names as yet. Anyone heard if we are trying to tempt Barry back?

You mean the tweet from someone with about 120 followers?

We've been down this road before. It doesn't matter. You see followers, I see someone who's been around a while and has been saying there's no buyer for villa since all the madness started.

You mean the tweet from someone with about 120 followers?

We've been down this road before. It doesn't matter. You see followers, I see someone who's been around a while and has been saying there's no buyer for villa since all the madness started.

who is this twitter user may I ask

Its not really.

This was my thinking for this summer and something I was quite happy with. Lerners timing of the sale is not the best IMO but now with a couple of loans in postions we need we would have a decent squad which would naturally improve as Kozak and Benteke get fit but the best signings Lambert and Lerner could do would be to sign Vlaar and Delph on long term contracts. An easy thing to do as it'd be protecting the assets the club has and also give every one a lift! Add that to the loans of a LB and a quality CM I'd be happy to start the season with what we have only replacing players as they leave then.

Lambert and Lerner could do would be to sign Vlaar and Delph on long term contracts. An easy thing to do as it'd be protecting the assets the club has and also give every one a lift! 

I don't see it as being quite as easy sadly, if I were Vlaar or Delph I wouldn't be prepared to sign a new contract at this time with the future of the club so uncertain.

Agreed - if you were them why sign a contract when the club is making open noises about not having much money. Better to wait for new owners or get the pay day of being a free agent in demand.

If we do happen to lose these two in the summer it will be another big blow to the club.

Lambert and Lerner could do would be to sign Vlaar and Delph on long term contracts. An easy thing to do as it'd be protecting the assets the club has and also give every one a lift!

I don't see it as being quite as easy sadly, if I were Vlaar or Delph I wouldn't be prepared to sign a new contract at this time with the future of the club so uncertain.

It may not be easy but we will lose them for free if we haven't signed them by the end of August IMO. It makes financial sense to do it hopefully Lmabert who seems a knack of talking people into signing can weave some magic!

The club is in tremendous flux, but Lambert has the foresight to bring in players in positions we are weak in, we now have a decent defence cover for either Vlaar or Okore, whilst we have a vastly experienced and creative number 10, all on frees. Given we had the second biggest injury list last season, we needed bodies to not just improve weaknesses in the squad but have players ready until the takeover is complete. It saves money whilst hopefully improving the squad, it's far from ideal but hopefully something that serves as a more of a stop gap until the ownership issue is resolved.

• Like 1