Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Lambert and Lerner could do would be to sign Vlaar and Delph on long term contracts. An easy thing to do as it'd be protecting the assets the club has and also give every one a lift!

I don't see it as being quite as easy sadly, if I were Vlaar or Delph I wouldn't be prepared to sign a new contract at this time with the future of the club so uncertain.

It may not be easy but we will lose them for free if we haven't signed them by the end of August IMO. It makes financial sense to do it hopefully Lmabert who seems a knack of talking people into signing can weave some magic!

Yes it makes sense from the clubs perspective but not from the players.

Whittinghams contract is up soon, is it not?

And the poor lad has been in that hotel in Birmingham for 3 years now waiting for his contract to be sorted, poor lad.

Everton have now joined the race for Dutch playmaker Hakim Ziyech for £2.5mil, missed a trick there.

Myself and Isa mentioned him on here in Jan transfer window, on his first full season last season he assisted 10 and scored 8.

For £2.5mil will be a steal!

Edited by Villan4Life

I have to admit I do find the complete change in transfer policy quite strange. We all know we've needed experience for a while but it's like we've gone from one extreme to the other.

Its not really.

The first couple of years the aim was reduce the wage bill and age of the squad, get rid of the high earners and bring in young hungry players on low money who could develop and increase in value. That way the wage bill decreased and the basis of a squad was in place to build upon once the finances were sorted.

This summer would have seen Lambert backed to build on the cheap young squad with a small number of higher priced better quality players. Only he changed his mind, or never intended to see the second half of the plan through.

Lambert is then left with a tiny transfer pot and the choice of buying cheap young players again, or saving on transfer fee's and going for more experienced better played players.

I think he has recognised that more young, inexperienced players would be something we couldn't cope with, so in the absence of being able to buy experienced players he is utilising the Bosman market.

I really don't see it as being a change in transfer policy from Lambert but rather a complete u-turn by Lerner meaning that Lambert is having to adjust and make the most of a pretty bad hand.

my understanding and analysis of the situation is also exactly this

Everton have now joined the race for Dutch playmaker Hakim Ziyech for £2.5mil, missed a trick there.

Myself and Isa mentioned him on here in Jan transfer window, on his first full season last season he assisted 10 and scored 8.

too pricey

• Like 1

Lambert and Lerner could do would be to sign Vlaar and Delph on long term contracts. An easy thing to do as it'd be protecting the assets the club has and also give every one a lift!

I don't see it as being quite as easy sadly, if I were Vlaar or Delph I wouldn't be prepared to sign a new contract at this time with the future of the club so uncertain.

It may not be easy but we will lose them for free if we haven't signed them by the end of August IMO. It makes financial sense to do it hopefully Lmabert who seems a knack of talking people into signing can weave some magic!

And the poor lad has been in that hotel in Birmingham for 3 years now waiting for his contract to be sorted, poor lad.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, at least he has Dale Stephens to keep him company.

• Like 1

too pricey

Yeah, that's nearly three-quarters of a Mark Draper. Come on people, adjust yourselves to our bright future!

Obviously Barry is never going to play for us again, and it's just pointless saying 'if only we could sign him, then we would be okay'. There are a lot of players who are out of our league who would improve the side, but it's kind of by the by really.

How do you know Barry is never going to play for us again?

Because he spent last season on loan in a side that finished 5th in the table, where he was an extremely important team member. Better teams will want him. 

Also, I don't think he has any especial fondness for the club. 

Finally, if we don't sign him this window - and we won't, we don't have enough money in the wage structure to pay his wages - he won't be worth signing in future windows. 

Obviously Barry is never going to play for us again, and it's just pointless saying 'if only we could sign him, then we would be okay'. There are a lot of players who are out of our league who would improve the side, but it's kind of by the by really.

Because he spent last season on loan in a side that finished 5th in the table, where he was an extremely important team member. Better teams will want him. 

Finally, if we don't sign him this window - and we won't, we don't have enough money in the wage structure to pay his wages - he won't be worth signing in future windows. 

I think that is nonsense to be fair.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, at least he has Dale Stephens to keep him company.

I thought Julie B had them both chained up in her dungeon and was 'toughening' them up on behalf of Keane?

Reading his 'farewell' statement I suspect his 'fondness' has waivered over the past few years to be fair?

I'm sure before we signed Cole you would have said we couldn't afford his wages either. I know I would have. But it depends on the player, if the player is willing to take a pay cut for first team football like Cole then we are in with a chance, Barry may be similar, we just don't know. 

• Like 1

Reading his 'farewell' statement I suspect his 'fondness' has waivered over the past few years to be fair?

Least he made a statement no badly how ill-advised he was. He was still at the club for the longest part of his career, we gave him his debut at 17. I think it was possibly a bit sore when he left however, Villa fans seemed to give him a fair reception when with Everton and he did the same. I also remember against City, we gave him barrels of abuse, however he clapped the Holte, thats not fondness? He appreciates what we did for him, shame we couldn't appreciate what he did for us.

• Like 2

We need yo face facts now. Lambert played Bowery in the few games of the season, and has now sold him. Surely Grealish or Robinson would've been better off getting some experience.

It wouldny surprise me if we see some of his other flops leave this summer, with us recouping next to nothing in fees for them.

It's gone from young foreigners with no PL experience to old players who have been released by sides who finished around us in the table.

I'm setting myself up for a horrendous season and another relegation battle, with us slipping out of the Prem for the first time ever.

I've tried optimism and hope, but while the club is in this state we aren't going to progress

Least he made a statement no badly how ill-advised he was. He was still at the club for the longest part of his career, we gave him his debut at 17. I think it was possibly a bit sore when he left however, Villa fans seemed to give him a fair reception when with Everton and he did the same. I also remember against City, we gave him barrels of abuse, however he clapped the Holte, thats not fondness? He appreciates what we did for him, shame we couldn't appreciate what he did for us.

Yes he was a good servant for us and I wish we could offer him a contract with some sort of coaching role but I think with the current goings on he would perceive that as a too big a risk at this point in his career?

Yes he was a good servant for us and I wish we could offer him a contract with some sort of coaching role but I think with the current goings on he would perceive that as a too big a risk at this point in his career?

I don't think he will join us, I was answering the point about him not being fond of us. Depends on what he wants from his career I suppose.

It wouldny surprise me if we see some of his other flops leave this summer, with us recouping next to nothing in fees for them.

No loss then as we paid next to nothing in fees for them

• Like 1

I apologise for perhaps not making myself very clear. When I said "I don't think he has any especial fondness for the club", that wasn't meant to mean that he actively dislikes us or anything. To clarify - he was one of the most important players in a team that only just missed out on a Champions League place. To come to a club that is in turmoil, with a very unclear future direction, and which is very very likely to be at least involved in a relegation battle, would be a huge step down. I don't see why on earth he would do it unless it was to do that club a massive favour. I don't think he feels he owes us that, and I don't think he owes it to us either. 

Joe Cole is a completely different case. He chose us because the other offers from other teams were for more money in weaker divisions. Barry's offers will be from better teams in this division. 

It would but we are only dealing in frees and loans so it is a no-go for us :(