Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

And the getting upset over absolutely nothing at all continues..... 

I'd argue there's fair cause for worry right now

Why worry about something you have absolutely no control over? 

Would you like a hug?

I think there are others more in need of your services, chief!

Hit me up if you need one! 

I'm full of fun and hugs right now, I'm even offering Mantis a hug!

Sharing the love - nice. I'll save it up for now.

Not sure what you mean by continues. The last 4 years have clearly been worthy of getting annoyed over.

I think its a big indicator to be fair, I can imagine us going for a bunch of freebies and loans should this deal not go through this summer. Very dangerous game Randy is playing IMO.

He's played a very dangerous game for the last few years. And for some reason he's thanked for it.

I'd argue there's fair cause for worry right now

Why worry about something you have absolutely no control over?

You're basically saying don't ever worry about anything Villa related then?

Of course I do but only tangible things and when it really matters. I really don't see the point in worrying about anything at the moment - if July comes round, we haven't been sold and don't look like spending, then I'll get worried. 

As crazy as it'd be, given his injury record, age, wages and loss of legs.... Would I be against us signing Rio?.... I don't think I would! I'm not paying his wages. Even if he only played 10 games in the season, we'd be better defensively and more organised in those 10 games than we have been for the past 4 seasons!

^^

I put this in the takeover thread, but I'll post it here, incase it gets deleted as it's not takeover related!

Obviously there are better options for us, long-term, but if we're simply having another season of struggling with what we've got, a bit of experience in the side could be good for our young lads.

Of course I do but only tangible things and when it really matters. I really don't see the point in worrying about anything at the moment - if July comes round, we haven't been sold and don't look like spending, then I'll get worried.

in that scenario I'd say we'd be dead certs to go down

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner is keen to keep both players at the club, even though he is selling up.

Lambert and chief executive Paul Faulkner are being briefed on his plans by Lerner, with a warning that the sale of Villa will take at least two months.

There is no buyer ready to come in after initial interest in the States collapsed some months ago and it could be well into the new season before Lerner agrees a deal.

Both Vlaar and Delph are entering the last years of their contracts and despite the sell off will be offered new long term ones. Lambert is also into the last year of his deal. There were the beginnings of initial talks about a new contract some while ago, but those have been shelved and Lambert is now uncertain about his future.

Lerner will provide limited transfer funding for the new season, but it will be considerably less than the £20m-plus made available to Lambert in each of his first two seasons. The failure of some of last summer’s signings, like Alexsandar Tonev and Nicklas Helenius in particular, has also been noted by Lerner who wants them to either be playing or moved on.

Lambert wanted a change of policy from Lerner and a return to some big spending on players to rid Villa of successive years of relegation fighting, but that’s not going to happen. While Lerner continues to own Aston Villa, there is not a threat of Lambert losing his job, but when a new ownership comes in, he would be likely sacked after two seasons of struggle.

Lambert will have little new in the way of quality players to work with and if the Villa sale is protracted past the ideal time frame of two months, he would face yet another season of struggle. His stock has already fallen considerably with Villa fans who initially welcomed Lambert and he will be on a hiding to nothing if he can’t improve what is a poor team.

Having listened to what Lerner has to say, and the restrictions on him, Lambert might decide to leave and risk finding himself a new club in the summer, thus plunging Villa into more trouble.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/475745/Vlaar-and-Delph-to-get-new-contracts-at-Aston-Villa

So, Delph and Vlaar will be given new contracts but Lambert won't have barely anything to spend on new players. Nice.

Edited by samjp26

If it's gonna be 10m or less then we need to spend it on loans and try and get an injection of quality, even if it's just over a short period.

Lambert's on a hiding to nothing, I think I'd walk if I were him.

I'd be even more concerned if he does though right now. What quality manager/coach would take the job knowing there was no money and ownership could change at any given time?

Edited by wazzap24

Lets hope that if Lambert is staying, and more money is made available from new owners, he looks at slightly better players than the Bertrand's, Holt's and Hoolahan's of this world.

Bertrand was a very good left back!!....

... until he came to Villa...  :(

Lets hope that if Lambert is staying, and more money is made available from new owners, he looks at slightly better players than the Bertrand's, Holt's and Hoolahan's of this world.

Bertrand was a very good left back!!....

... until he came to Villa... :(

Exactly. That's why we need real quality players that can't be made **** awful by Lamberts tactics and motivational mumbling.

That Rotherham right back has had a fantastic season, always looks like a stand out player when I've seen him.

I know we don't want lower league players but if we have to stick to the same procedures..

What's the name of that dude we have been linked with before who had that face mask on and looked absolutely solid? Think his surname began with a K...

Cheikhou Kouyate