Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

We all wanted Lerner to sell up but with the amount of quality available on free or loan transfers this summer the sale of the club couldn't have come at a worse time with the included embargo on new contracts.

If we don't get a quick sale then we could also lose Delph, Guzan, Vlaar and Benteke even with his injury. Those players will not want to hang around with no investment and another relegation battle in the offing if any of the top eight come calling.

We all wanted Lerner to sell up but with the amount of quality available on free or loan transfers this summer the sale of the club couldn't have come at a worse time with the included embargo on new contracts.

If we don't get a quick sale then we could also lose Delph, Guzan, Vlaar and Benteke even with his injury. Those players will not want to hang around with no investment and another relegation battle in the offing if any of the top eight come calling.

Thats a frightening, but yet realistic scenario.

• Like 1

This mobile app is shit, rather than go through 150 odd pages if you reply it'll bring you to the last page and more recent stuff! However depressing that may be!

One thing I noticed at the Spurs away game, was the lack of height/build in our team. I'd say that about 8 of the Spurs players were considerably bigger than our lads. Cant help but feel that this is a hinderance, and something we need to address to provide us some PL consistency.

1. Lambert also interested in Hoolahan & Pilkington at old club #NCFC as both will be cheap & keen with little left on contracts

2. LESSCOTT AND BARRY .... ????

Lambert wants Lescott as he eyes experienced frees/loans. Hoping to bring in 2 players together & use each other's arrival to lure em

I don't get this, having 20m to spend but Lerner doesn't actually spend his own money. Can someone explain this to me?

Yea we earn 20/25m more now than what we spend as a club before player transfers

Vlaar and Lescott would be great with Okore and Clark for backup. Loan Baker out for a season to the Championship.

This for me is where the problem lies in signing Lescott. The last thing he would want again is to sit on the bench with Okore hopefully raring to go at the start of next season and before signing for anyone Lescott would be looking for guaranteed playing time.

I agree that Lescott would be part of a good partnership with Vlaar but you would have to leave Okore on the bench and I don't think he or Lescott will settle for that.

The only way it would work is playing all three and I'm not sure that is the best way forward?

Errr? Injury, form, back up these are all reasons to have 3 good players for two posirions

So apparently there is a contract ban as such, meaning no extensions or renewals will be happening.

Off the top of my head that means we will lose Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton this summer for free, whilst Ron Vlaar, Fabian Delph, Gabby Agbonlahor and Jack Grealish will all be going into their last year of contract with nothing new on the table.

Very, very risky.

That's not even true we have offer 4 deals already

So apparently there is a contract ban as such, meaning no extensions or renewals will be happening.

Off the top of my head that means we will lose Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton this summer for free, whilst Ron Vlaar, Fabian Delph, Gabby Agbonlahor and Jack Grealish will all be going into their last year of contract with nothing new on the table.

Very, very risky.

That's not even true we have offer 4 deals already

I think people are getting 'being in talks' about new deals confused with actual contracts being put on the table. We've heard a lot in the last few months about deals being spoken about, or players sitting down to talk about deals, but so far we haven't seen anything about any actual deals being put on the table for players to sign up to.

This mobile app is shit, rather than go through 150 odd pages if you reply it'll bring you to the last page and more recent stuff! However depressing that may be!

I think you're just using it wrong. You can change the settings.

I never use anything other than the mobile app anymore, even when I'm on a PC. (anyway... OT!)

• Like 1

A three year, £55k per week contract for Lescott?

Bloody hell! It's as if the MON era never happened...

The problem in the MON era was giving high wages to players who didn't warrant them. Ie: Giving £40k a week to Habib Beye, Steve Sidwell and Nigel Reo-Coker, so that they could sit on our bench (next to Nicky Shorey and Marlon Harewood on £30k p/w!)

Giving large® wages to players who deserve them is generally considered as fine.

It's a big YES to Lescott from me. Him and Barry would really improve the spine of our side.

Also, I know most people dislike it, but I think a 3-5-2 with Okore, Vlaar and Lescott at the back and Barry in the middle of Delph and Westwood in midfield, could be really good!

• Like 2

Gabby Agbonlahor

This one for me will be interesting.

Is he one of our higher earners?

A new contract means a pay rise too.

I wouldn't say get rid or keep him completely until we know the future holds for the club.

I'd like to think however the club wouldn't just renew his contract by default because he has been here since a kid.

Also, I know most people dislike it, but I think a 3-5-2 with Okore, Vlaar and Lescott at the back and Barry in the middle of Delph and Westwood in midfield, could be really good!

It could if we had decent fullbacks, however, we have the likes of Lowton, Bacuna, Luna and Bennet, the best one of which could generously be described as below average for a fullback.

Wasn't that keen before but bringing in the likes of Lescott, Richards, Hoolahan, Pilkington, maybe Barry at a (financial) stretch could potentially have a superb impact on some of the younger players. 

Would love a central midfielder with a load of PL experience that can calm everything down and get the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Clark etc. back to their best. Someone who'll go and look for the ball and then scream at people to move. Lescott and Richards could be brilliant to bring along the likes of Bennett/Baker/Clark - as well as improving first team quality.

Wasn't that keen before but bringing in the likes of Lescott, Richards, Hoolahan, Pilkington, maybe Barry at a (financial) stretch could potentially have a superb impact on some of the younger players. 

Would love a central midfielder with a load of PL experience that can calm everything down and get the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Clark etc. back to their best. Someone who'll go and look for the ball and then scream at people to move. Lescott and Richards could be brilliant to bring along the likes of Bennett/Baker/Clark - as well as improving first team quality.

This would go completely against the supposed Lambert plan for young and hungry players. I doubt he'd admit he's been wrong for 2 years following that plan of his and make a 180 degree turn, and I also don't expect the club to agree to the sort of wages these would demand anyway. 

• Like 1

Preparing to be slaughtered for this but I don't think our defence is our biggest problem, in fact I don't think our defence would be half as bad if we didn't have to defend so much for long periods of nearly every game we play.

I personally think we're better off focusing on bringing in players who can create and score goals, help us dictate play and in turn win games. If anything we need a left back, maybe a right back too depending on the Bacuna/Lowton situation but it isn't vital. What is vital is being able to do stuff up the other end of the pitch, something we can't seem to do very well at all as of late.

• Like 3