Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Greg Seltzer from No Short Corners and MLSsoccer.com has reported that Villa are one of the English clubs who have expressed an interest in MLS centreback Matt Besler. I'm sure this link won't exactly inspire fits of delight on here, but I think he's a solid player who plays well out of the back. I'm not exactly sure who we'd be letting go of, though, to make room for another centreback.

I think there's one obvious centre back that probably won't be here next season.

Yeah, I suppose I was trying to be optimistic.

Being linked to Giancarlo Gonzalez. Would sure take him if Vlaar did leave.

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/22243/could-aston-villa-be-about-to-move-for-a-world-cup-defender/?

Aston Villa have flirted with relegation in each of the last few seasons, finishing 16th, 15th and 15th again.

No fewer than 130 top-flight goals have been conceded by Paul Lambert’s men over the course of the previous two campaigns, so this is clearly an area in which there is room for improvement.

Ron Vlaar enjoyed an outstanding World Cup, with the Netherlands international said to be attracting interest from Roma.

Were he to move on, then the club would be left with Nathan Baker, Ciaran Clark and Jores Okore as their centre-back options, so they will be looking to add at least one more new face between now and the close of the transfer window.

Could it be that another star of Brazil 2014 has been identified as the man to come in and improve their defensive record?

GIANCARLO GONZALEZ – COLUMBUS CREW

Costa Rica were the surprise package of the World Cup, narrowly missing out on a place in the semi-finals after losing a penalty shootout to the Dutch.

The Central American outfit built their success around a virtually-impenetrable five-man rearguard, conceding just two goals in 510 minutes of football at the tournament.

Giancarlo Gonzalez was the leader at the heart of this well-oiled unit, organising and cajoling those around him.

Eight different players filled the defensive roles at various stages throughout the competition, but only Gonzalez and left wing-back Junior Diaz were ever-present:

When Alan Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Chris Waddle and Tim Vickery sat down to put together their BBC pundits’ team of the tournament, ten of the names that they came up with were hardly unexpected.

It is testament to how well he performed in Brazil, however, that the 26-year-old Columbus Crew centre-half was the 11th player chosen.

This owed much to his positional sense, with the Costa Rica international always in the right place to snuff out any danger.

THOUGHTS

Despite his heroics this summer in Brazil, the fact that he is playing his football in America means that Giancarlo Gonzalez is unlikely to command a huge fee.

This is something that could be very appealing to a club that has recently been put up for sale by owner Randy Lerner.

One major blot on his copybook would be the red card he picked up for elbowing Kevin Doyle in a June friendly against Ireland.

Roy Keane, the new assistant manager at Villa Park, would have seen this incident first-hand, though he was not exactly a choirboy himself on the pitch!

Would Gonzalez make a good signing? Can the club keep hold of Ron Vlaar? What would represent a successful season for Aston Villa?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section beneath.

Our Aston Villa pages contain data stretching right back to the start of the Premier League era. You can check them out by clicking here.

I'd prefer to keep Vlaar, but this chap was impressive at the Workd Cup and wouldn't cost the earth, so might be a cheap and decent replacement if old tight pockets decides to cash in

Greg Seltzer from No Short Corners and MLSsoccer.com has reported that Villa are one of the English clubs who have expressed an interest in MLS centreback Matt Besler. I'm sure this link won't exactly inspire fits of delight on here, but I think he's a solid player who plays well out of the back. I'm not exactly sure who we'd be letting go of, though, to make room for another centreback.

I think there's one obvious centre back that probably won't be here next season.

Yeah, I suppose I was trying to be optimistic.

Besler is a solid center back. Fairly quick, good positioning, and can pass the ball. Not sure whether we could keep Vlaar and sign Besler. But I've said before that Besler-Vlaar-Okore would make for a very good back three.

• Like 1

So....if the season started today, would our starting XI look like....

Guzan

Lowton        Vlaar                           Okore        Bennett

Bacuna        Westwood       Richardson

Delph                   Cole

Bent 

?

It might be a mistake on my part but, wasn't Besler the player who got skinned on the wing in the build up to the first goal of knockout game at the World Cup?

Not sure that Gonzalez would play to such a high standard either. It's different playing 40 odd games of an English season alongside multiple languages compared to 5 games alongside people who speak the same language as you do. Also, the MLS is no comparison to the Premier League in terms of attacking threat so he'd get a rude awakening there too.

Having said all of the above, you never know. Maybe they could come in and settle down quickly. But, if Vlaar goes, they would have to settle in quickly. Otherwise we would be in desperate trouble.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Bennett

Bacuna Westwood Richardson

Delph Cole

Bent

?

Probably not. Richardson will play left back or left wing back. I personally think we will play 3 centre backs with Senderos on the left side and Okore on the right. The middle cb depends on whether Vlaar stays.

I think Richardson and Bacuna will be the wingbacks with a midfield 3 of Delph, a new holding midfielder and Cole playing off the striker. That leaves 2 places and I think they will be filled by Gabby and Weimann to begin with. But, when the beast returns, I think Gabby will be out.

Edited by villarocker

I think it is a bit of a jump for an MLS defender. Tim Ream did it for what? One season before Bolton went down? Jay Demerit did it with Watford, but he joined them while they were in the Championship and got good experience there. I agree with Villarocker on the attacking speed in the Premiereship as compared to MLS.

"One major blot on his copybook would be the red card he picked up for elbowing Kevin Doyle in a June friendly against Ireland."  Personally id say that was a positive.

• Like 1

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Bennett

Bacuna Westwood Richardson

Delph Cole

Bent

?

Probably not. Richardson will play left back or left wing back. I personally think we will play 3 centre backs with Senderos on the left side and Okore on the right. The middle cb depends on whether Vlaar stays.

I think Richardson and Bacuna will be the wingbacks with a midfield 3 of Delph, a new holding midfielder and Cole playing off the striker. That leaves 2 places and I think they will be filled by Gabby and Weimann to begin with. But, when the beast returns, I think Gabby will be out.

I think the starting line up if today was first day of PL, pending no new arrivals/injuries would likely be;

Guzan

Lowton/Hutton Vlaar Okore Richardson

Bacuna Westwood delph

Cole/N'zog

Gabby Bent/benteke (if fit)

But who knows what might happen before then, could buy a few quality players... Perhaps.

I think it is a bit of a jump for an MLS defender. Tim Ream did it for what? One season before Bolton went down? Jay Demerit did it with Watford, but he joined them while they were in the Championship and got good experience there. I agree with Villarocker on the attacking speed in the Premiereship as compared to MLS.

I totally agree about MLS players, but from the shelf we are shopping off we are taking a risk everytime.

Guzan

Lowton        Vlaar                           Okore        Bennett

Bacuna        Westwood       Richardson

Delph                   Cole

Bent 

?

My starting XI as it stands, would be:

Guzan

Lowton        Okore                           Vlaar        Richardson

Delph        Westwood 

Bacuna            Cole       N'Zogbia

Bent 

• Like 1

maybe for home games

Guzan

Okore ---- Senderos ----  Vlaar        

Hutton                                                       Richardson

Delph    Cole    Westwood 

N'Zogbia

Bent 

I think we will still get more players in, probably one or two, but already I feel a lot more comfortable with the balance of the squad both in terms of depth in position and experience. A central midfielder is still vital though.

I wouldn't go near an MLS player, at least a seasoned one. The change of pace is too much.

I presume you also wouldn't go near a player in, say, Eredivise or Jupiler League? Ruling out every player from particular leagues doesn't sound like a great transfer policy.

MLS isn't as good as the Premier League. Obviously. But it has some good players, like Besler, who are up to the Premier League's standard. He was certainly up to the standard against Ghana, Portugal, Germany, and Belgium.

Yes, Lukaku did skin Besler in the knockout match. Or to be more accurate: After Besler had played more than 90 minutes, Lukaku came off the bench in stoppage time--fresh --and got the better of Besler. Imagine that.

He's a good player and would make us a better team.

Edited by Villain-from-Texas
  • Like 1