Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

That we are being asked to compete and retain our status on that basis. And highlighting that lambert has to take credit for keeping us in this division on that basis and also to highlight what a totally woeful and useless owner we have who is on a par with ellis

Ridiculous comment. However bad you may perceive him to be, of course he is not on a par with Ellis.

you may not think so, I do. Yes he has done some ok things for the business but in terms of the football club, nope he is on a par.

EDIT off topic, happy to carry this on the Lerner thread and show why he is on a par

No thanks, no point. We are obviously too far apart on this to have any worthwhile discussion.

So....if the season started today, would our starting XI look like....

Guzan

Lowton        Vlaar                           Okore        Bennett

Bacuna        Westwood       Richardson

Delph                   Cole

Bent 

?

The line up would lose about 3-1 at Stoke. For all their faults Gabby and Weimann should be starting with those options.

That we are being asked to compete and retain our status on that basis. And highlighting that lambert has to take credit for keeping us in this division on that basis and also to highlight what a totally woeful and useless owner we have who is on a par with ellis

Other teams do it, West Brom hardly spend a penny usually and stay up. Ironically their panic buying last summer probably contributed to their poor season aswell as some baffling managerial appointments. Newcastle didn't make a cash signing for 18 months and were never in danger of going down last season.

I agree it's not a good situation at all but it is what it is.

I wouldn't go near an MLS player, at least a seasoned one. The change of pace is too much.

Yes, Lukaku did skin Besler in the knockout match. Or to be more accurate: After Besler had played more than 90 minutes, Lukaku came off the bench in stoppage time--fresh --and got the better of Besler. Imagine that.

He's a good player and would make us a better team.

That's a fair point about Besler and Lukaku so maybe I was being a bit harsh on the fella there. But, my point is still valid regarding playing a few games in 3 weeks compared to 40 games over a whole season. I'm still not convinced a MLS player would be up to that standard in the Premier League.

However, given the fact that we've been shopping at a lower level, maybe a MLS player could slot in well alongside our current line up.

Edited by villarocker

I wouldn't go near an MLS player, at least a seasoned one. The change of pace is too much.

Yes, Lukaku did skin Besler in the knockout match. Or to be more accurate: After Besler had played more than 90 minutes, Lukaku came off the bench in stoppage time--fresh --and got the better of Besler. Imagine that.

That's a fair point about Besler and Lukaku so maybe I was being a bit harsh on the fella there. But, my point is still valid regarding playing a few games in 3 weeks compared to 40 games over a whole season. I'm still not convinced a MLS player would be up to that standard in the Premier League.

However, given the fact that we've been shopping at a lower level, maybe a MLS player could slot in well alongside our current line up.

Robbie Keane seemed to slot in alright a few years ago.IIRC he was our best player at the time.

Every summer it's the same I feel jealous of other teams signings compared to our own and every year at the end of the season I look back and think thank **** we didn't get him or him. Albeit not always but we are aston villa lets forget who anyone else has signed and support OUR team. Yeah senderos wouldn't have been my pick at all and yeah probs would have preferred lescott on paper but let's judge all our signings compared to others and then end of season.

Every summer it's the same I feel jealous of other teams signings compared to our own and every year at the end of the season I look back and think thank **** we didn't get him or him. Albeit not always but we are aston villa lets forget who anyone else has signed and support OUR team. Yeah senderos wouldn't have been my pick at all and yeah probs would have preferred lescott on paper but let's judge all our signings compared to others and then end of season.

I see where you coming from but being out spent by Palace for instance is just not acceptable.There will be some dodgy signings and some overpriced but that shouldn't be an excuse for the shambles we are currently in.

Robbie Keane seemed to slot in alright a few years ago.IIRC he was our best player at the time.
But he'd had many years experience of our top flight beforehand.

With our current squad, I'd prefer us to bring in players with Premier League experience.

Edited by villarocker

Honestly, why does it matter if Palace spends more money than us? Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich all outspent us last summer, where are they now?

I don't diagree with your wider point that we're currently in a shambles, I wish we had money to spend as much as everyone else. But "total amount spent" shouldn't be the yardstick.

• Like 1

Honestly, why does it matter if Palace spends more money than us? Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich all outspent us last summer, where are they now?

I don't diagree with your wider point that we're currently in a shambles, I wish we had money to spend as much as everyone else. But "total amount spent" shouldn't be the yardstick.

At some point teams will outspend us and overtake us, we can't keep using last season/and previous as an excuse not to spend/underspend.

But also, you can't just say that overspending will equal overtaking. Everton have, on the whole, 'underspent' for a while. But they seem to be doing okay.

But he'd had many years experience of our top flight beforehand.

With our current squad, I'd prefer us to bring in players with Premier League experience.

That sounds familiar.