Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Apparently we are in for John Brooks. Doubt it will happen If Lerner is still here

Brooks is still learning, but he's got a big upside. He has all the physical attributes—including impressive speed for his size—and he's making strides in the mental aspects of his game. I'm not ready to say he would fit right into a starting role in the Premier League without some growing pains, but I think the potential is there and I think he's certainly a player I wouldn't mind seeing the club. Am I a bit biased as an American? Of course. Do I think he has it in him to be a top defender? Yeah, I do.

Edited by JamieZ

Senderos and Collins are about as chalk and chalk as you can get it - can't really differentiate them at all in terms of ability.

I'm really not sure if that's true. I bet if you looked at Collins' PL career, you would see a similar % of clean sheets kept compared to Senderos, despite always playing for worse teams (well, apart from last season).

Collins is a very effective CB. He's not a great player, you'll never win the Champions League with him, but he's an effective PL CB. There's a reason managers who focus on defence above all else like to buy him and play him.

Id take Sendros over Collins every day of the week. Collins was so rash in his challenges and with the wages he was on he should have been allot better. I used to tear my hair out every game he played.

Well one to strike of our annual list is David Bentley who has retired at 29 because he is not in love with football any more?

I think that feeling has been mutual for a while

• Like 2

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been told he can leave Dortmund, has a £6m release clause.

If only we had an owner willing to invest, he'd be a huge improvement to either Gabby or Weimann in the wide role

• Like 4

Pity Daley Blind will probably get a big move after world cup!!

We was linked with him in number of online sources only 14months ago!! would have been a vast improvement on Bennett or Luna

Edited by Villan4Life

Pity Daley Blind will probably get a big move after world cup!!

We was linked with him in number of online sources only 14months ago!! would have been a vast improvement on Bennett or Luna

I've seen him play one game - how about you?

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been told he can leave Dortmund, has a £6m release clause.

If only we had an owner willing to invest, he'd be a huge improvement to either Gabby or Weimann in the wide role

No way. The guy has had a good season for Dortmund. Why would they let him go?

Edited by Czechlad

We have all just presumed we have no money for transfer fees, but that is based on the notion that a take over is near - which is more unlikely than likely right now.

I think regardless of selling the club Lerner has said to Lambert 'use the players that you have and i'll make wages available for experience' you think of how many players in the squad who have barely played that we paying since Lambert took over, particularly last season.

Herd, Hutton, Nzogbia, Helenius, Tonev, Bent, Gardener, Kozak, Okore. Appreciate many of those is down to injury - but can you really blame Lerner for not splashing out on new players until the above are given a go or sold. If Cole and Senderos stay fit they could provide experience we have been crying out for. Not to mention the emergence of Grealish and Robinson.

My issue is how does Lambert eat his 'young and hungry' policy and actually play the likes of Bent, Hutton and Nzogbia. The former were completely humiliated by him previously and as crap as they are or have been they still didn't quite deserve the heavy handed belligerent treatment Lambert or/and the club handed out.

• Like 1

"but can you really blame Lerner for not splashing out on new players until the above are given a go or sold." Yes VillanousOne. Our current transfer policy mirrors that of Small Heath albeit in the league below. That is just not acceptable for Aston Villa and could lead to us going down next season whether he is at the helm or not. As custodian of our football club some sort of budget for new signings (other than simply wages for free or loan signings) does not seem unreasonable to hope for given our income for this coming season. 

• Like 1

"but can you really blame Lerner for not splashing out on new players until the above are given a go or sold." Yes VillanousOne. Our current transfer policy mirrors that of Small Heath albeit in the league below. That is just not acceptable for Aston Villa and could lead to us going down next season whether he is at the helm or not. As custodian of our football club some sort of budget for new signings (other than simply wages for free or loan signings) does not seem unreasonable to hope for given our income for this coming season. 

No and I agree, but we don't know that there is no money available for transfer fees we're just jumping to conclusions and very reasonable ones.

I also think that if Lerner's heart was still in the club he would sack Lambert but he doesn't want to spend yet more millions on paying him off, so we're stuck.

Also Lambert through injury and various different issues whether they are his or Lerner's has been utilising around 70% of our total squad, i'm not saying getting the chance to use the remaining 30% will make us into world beaters but it'd be interesting to see how the land lies if we do.

I also believe Lerner should not have announced the club was for sale until we were in the very final stages of being sold (maybe something did fall through early on), otherwise it just destabilises the club and leaves the fan's wondering just how much worse it can get. Who would want to join a club that is in this type of limbo? Maybe Cole and Senderos have been told something we are not yet party to?

• Like 1

If Aubameyang is actually available, we should go buy him. No chance would lose money on him. I'd even give him whatever wages Bent or Ireland was on.

Tertific player i agree no chance of losong on this purchas

Martin Kelly is available on a free, would anyone take him?

I would definitely have a look at him. If he's come back from the injury ok he'd be a good signing

Edited by dn1982