Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

He wanted to stay when he first came but having to defend constantly for 80+ mins a game instead of having some respite like a normal team would when they attack, he's probably realised he doesnt really enjoy his football losing every week.

He is a good left back but when you have shite all around you if will eventually infect you aswell and you will start to doubt your own ability. Im pretty sure thats what happened to Ryan Bertrand and most of our team. If he was in a solid back 4 he would look good again.

• Like 1

He wanted to stay when he first came but having to defend constantly for 80+ mins a game instead of having some respite like a normal team would when they attack, he's probably realised he doesnt really enjoy his football losing every week.

He is a good left back but when you have shite all around you if will eventually infect you aswell and you will start to doubt your own ability. Im pretty sure thats what happened to Ryan Bertrand and most of our team. If he was in a solid back 4 he would look good again.

Agree with this, looked a top loan when he first came. 

I'm loving all the posters saying he's average now that he's said he doesn't want to stay with us :D

There's quite a change in tone in this thread compared with when he seemed interested in a permanent deal!

• Like 3

I'm loving all the posters saying he's average now that he's said he doesn't want to stay with us :D

There's quite a change in tone in this thread compared with when he seemed interested in a permanent deal!

I don't think people were going to painstaking lengths to talk about how amazing he was from about the midway point of his deal. He started brightly for us but faded with the rest of the team in terms of performance. I think the crux is that he probably isn't worth what it would take to buy him. I wouldn't pay more than about 4/5mil and when you look at what he'd be earning - is he really worth it?

I was very happy about Bertrand joining us as I liked him when I had seen him play. To feel that his performances went down a lot and generally played worse than I expected. Would still have him here but not too worried about him going away. He will never get into that Chelsea side, feel very certain about that. Maybe liverpool will grab hold of him but honestly feel he would be found out pretty quick, and they need more quality there. It was very obvious that their weak spot this season was their defense. Sure, he is better than cissokho but who isn`t in this league.

Feel like I'm partly responsible for this, so I'd like to address it. In the first place, I was answering an imagined question like 'given the choice, would you sign Bertrand on a permanent deal'? Now the question has changed to something like 'without any choice anyway, do you think that Bertrand leaving will be an irreplaceable loss'? I don't think it's inconsistent to answer 'yes' to the first question and 'no' to the second - it's how I feel - but I suppose your mileage may vary. 

I suspect loan players that sign for us are expected to be strictly that by the club. That is because we lack the money players such as these would command in the form of both transfer fees and wages. This is even more so the case now as we currently have no means or will to do a long term deal in our present state of financial limbo.

Players like Walker and Bertrand play for us to get first team games and to show their owner clubs or potential new clubs that they are good enough to do a job for them. Whilst with us if asked they will express an interest in joining us but I doubt if they or we would see that as being a realistic future prospect.  

Sadly unless the new owners turn up before the window closes I can see us relying on further loan signings to keep us up and as Small Heath demonstrated with a similar policy albeit in a lower division that can be a bumpy and uncertain ride to safety.  

I wouldn't mind us signing him permanently, he'd be an improvement on what we've got. I think he is deluded if he thinks he'll be going to a club much better than us though.

An alright left back from what we got to see of him, but it isn't a major loss if we don't keep him.

Made a decent start with us but has faded badly due to the fact he is often left exposed on the left as no-one tracks back and helps out.

Solid mid table Premier League player.

I wouldn't mind us signing him permanently, he'd be an improvement on what we've got. I think he is deluded if he thinks he'll be going to a club much better than us though.

An alright left back from what we got to see of him, but it isn't a major loss if we don't keep him.

Agree but there is probably better value to be had out there?

Agree but there is probably better value to be had out there?

I agree, before he even joined people were calling for us to sign him and I said it then, he is English and he plays for Chelsea. £3-4m would be fine, but my guess is that they'll expect a bit more, maybe £6-7m+. He isn't worth that much, not a chance.

Made a decent start with us but has faded badly due to the fact he is often left exposed on the left as no-one tracks back and helps out.

Solid mid table Premier League player.

We don't have many of those. Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Â