Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

Shame if we can't agree a perm deal/he doesn't want to come.

About the best we can get at the minute and for the foreseeable future IMO.

Good player, decent experience and young enough to keep ironing I a decent side.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

According to Kendrick he's "expressed a desire to play for a higher club than Villa next season".

Good luck with that you rocket polisher.

Is that really necessary?

He came in on loan, is a decent player, no more than that, thinks he can do better than us, maybe so, maybe not.

But does not deserve that sort of comment.

• Like 1

According to Kendrick he's "expressed a desire to play for a higher club than Villa next season".

Good luck with that you rocket polisher.

Is that really necessary?

He came in on loan, is a decent player, no more than that, thinks he can do better than us, maybe so, maybe not.

But does not deserve that sort of comment.

Well in my defence the un-word-filtered version of "rocket polisher", which I would have preferred, does make it sound more light-hearted.

If we're going to be abusing football players, I say start with the ones who say they don't want to play for Aston Villa. He didn't set the world on fire for us, so for him to turn around and effectively say he thinks he's too good for Villa maybe shouldn't go completely unpunished. I wonder how much game time he'll get if he goes to Liverpool.

Was curious, so I ran some numbers*:

Player                     Appearances                    Goals Conceded                  Goals Conceded Per Game             Goals Scored                   Clean Sheets

Luna                       16                                        21                                           1.3                                                       1                                        4

Bertrand                  16                                       34                                            2.1                                                      0                                        2

Bennett                    3                                        2                                               0.7                                                     0                                         2

Now, obviously this doesn't tell the whole story (for one, it makes Bennett look like the best left back in the league!). Before anyone jumps on my back, I'm obviously aware that 1) Bertrand is one player out of 11 and isn't solely responsible for our poor form at the end of the season, 2) that Bertrand played at the end of the season when more goals are always scored, and 3) I'm not actually saying that Luna is a better left-back than Bertrand. What I am saying, though, is that he isn't obviously a vast improvement. I think we could get a better player for the same money in transfer cost, and on a lower wage, from overseas. I'm not advocating a cheapie - the opposite in fact, we have too many as is - but Bertrand wasn't actually going to be that cheap. 

It's a weird signing for Liverpool too. Is he that much of an improvement on Flanagan? I guess he is going forward, so Rodgers not going to be giving up attempting to win every game 5-4 any time soon. 

*appearances includes only PL games where a left-back played at least 45 minutes. 

PS - the statistics are arguably even worse than they look for Bertrand. Luna played some of those games when Baker and Clark was the CB partnership, Bertrand has nearly always been in a defence with Vlaar in it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

He wouldn't be part of my Villa revolution. He clearly thinks he's better than he is.

Or maybe he just doesn't fancy fighting relegation again.

Better to fight relegation and try and stand out than sit on a bench somewhere.

How do we know wouldn't play? Rodgers clearly doesn't rate Enrique as a left back and everyone knows Cissokho is turd (he's only been on loan anyways). The only other alternative is Flanagan on the left, who has been doing well but is clearly uncomfortable on that side.

Rodgers will know him from his Chelsea days and will get playing time.

How do we know wouldn't play? Rodgers clearly doesn't rate Enrique as a left back and everyone knows Cissokho is turd (he's only been on loan anyways). The only other alternative is Flanagan on the left, who has been doing well but is clearly uncomfortable on that side.

What do you mean Rodgers doesn't rate Enrique? Hasn't he been out injured all season?

What do you mean Rodgers doesn't rate Enrique? Hasn't he been out injured all season?

Is that right? I wasn't aware of that, I just assumed he never played cause he wasn't rated. I thought that was curious as I think he's a decent player.

Is that right? I wasn't aware of that, I just assumed he never played cause he wasn't rated. I thought that was curious as I think he's a decent player.

I'm not 100% but I think that's why he's been out.

In my opinion Bertrand is better than the second half showed. His heart wasn't in it, he knew he wanted to leave, and it showed in his performances.

I agree with those saying he'd be ok in a team like Spurs. I was hopeful he'd stay, but obviously he has other thoughts. Fair enough for me.

I wish him all the best, if he indeed leaves.

Â