Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

Ryan Bertrand tells @sportbbcwm he asked #cfc for a loan move and was eager to work with Paul Lambert at #avfc.

Bertrand also accepted he'd consider a permanent move to #avfc if things go well during the loan spell. @sportbbcwm

Sounds positive, but it is what you would expect him to say.

• Like 4

who's richard wilford?

Anyway, don't see this as being like Walker really for the reasons stated above and I don't think come the summer that we'd be put off at offering circa £30k in wages for a quality player (given that we've freed up further wages this season and will hopefully free up some more in the summer).

Don't forget that there's no rule that says he will only accept what he's currently on or more, the fact is that there's a big difference in cost of living in the Mids as compared to London so he may well accept a little less

Obviously, we've only seen him in 1 game so far this season, but to be thrown in straight away when he's not match fit, and it's away to Liverpool, he really had a very promising debut. We'll see how he gets on from now until the end of the season, but if he carries on the way that he started then getting him in on a permanent deal would be a very good bit of business. We'd have plenty of cover for that position and a good amount of competition, as well as (finally!) a pretty solid looking LB. Let's just hope that he enjoys his loan spell here. If he's getting constant game time and has a good experience with us then he may well find us an attractive destination, especially if he's looking to break into the England squad long-term.

Only caution I'd have is Luna had a brilliant debut aswell and quickly declined from that. Many players have been amazing on their debut's at this club and quickly settled into mediocrity, I do think Bertrand will do alright and look forward to watching him on Wednesday.

Was he at Norwich when Lambert was there?

Only caution I'd have is Luna had a brilliant debut aswell and quickly declined from that. Many players have been amazing on their debut's at this club and quickly settled into mediocrity, I do think Bertrand will do alright and look forward to watching him on Wednesday.

Bertrand is a tad more proven than Luna...

Also, luna wasn't great on his debut, his shortcomings were just accepted because he was facing Walcott. The problem was the same issues came up vs worse wingers too.

Edited by Rovers13

The latest interviews stories, frankly, could have been written without ever meeting him.

Bertrand is hardly likely to say "nah, don't want to join permanently, this is just a bit of game time and helps Chelsea pay the bills"

Nor is he likely to say "yeah, love Villa now, don't want to play anywhere else".

It's just the correct press line, so smile and ignore it all.

Yes. This would probably have helped us to get him.

If he does play well for us and wanted to stay, that would be the time for Lerner to show some ambition.

Hate to be negative, but if he does get into the England squad, he will possibly be looking to go to a team a bit higher up the food chain.

Lambert was saying even if we want to sign Bertrand on a permanent, we might not be able to afford him. Why are we so skint? Sounds like prices have been stumbling block for a quite a few doable signings lately. Highest attendances at VP in last few years and more money in the Premier League than ever before since the latest massive TV deal.

Edited by VillaRoy

Lambert was saying even if we want to sign Bertrand on a permanent, we might not be able to afford him. Why are we so skint? Sounds like prices have been stumbling block for a quite a few doable signings lately. Highest attendances at VP in last few years and more money in the Premier League than ever before since the latest massive TV deal.

Lerner is not willing to invest into the club and, I believe, is looking to sell the club soon.

Was that in the latest AVTV stuff?

Really worrying to be honest, doesn't bode well for the Summer if that is genuinely what he believes.

ive not seen him play yet, but ive not seen anything bad about him either, that can only be a good thing?

i for one i agree with loaning players from teams in the same league, youre basically preparing their players for them, look at kyle walker, but bertrand might be what we need, ive read alot of critisism about both luna and bennett (defensively) and we all know baker and clark cant play together

on another note, i cant see us buying bertrand, chelsea will either want too much or they might finally bite the bullet and more cole to one side, hes not getting any younger (although still performing brilliantly)

Was that in the latest AVTV stuff?

Really worrying to be honest, doesn't bode well for the Summer if that is genuinely what he believes.

Agreed. Very worrying if Bertrand performs well and its lack of funds that stops us signing him.

Â