Grant Holt

samjp26

Got caught late in the game on the right sideline about halfway and surrounded by 3 WBA midfielders....

... held the first midfielder off using his body, waited for another one to get close enough and played off him for a throw.

Means bugger all in the big scheme of things, perhaps, but if all our players could have done the same it would have been a far less nervy finish. We need that kind of cool head - especially in a derby where the winner ends up in the top half of the table.

And this is why the completed passes stat is bollocks, he did his job.
I'm not sure why this is worthy of praise but if you're using that example surely you have to balance it out and mention the time he tried to do some sort of flick on in the middle of the park and lost the ball when he could have held it up, the time benteke flicked it to him and while it was a decent first touch, he was too slow to get to the ball before the defender and when he stupidly dived and gave them the ball back cheaply again.

Praising that performance would be hypocritical for me because its the kind of performance I used to criticise Bowery for.

If you can't see why Holt is more useful to have around the team and on the pitch than Bowery then I give up.

Of course he is, but that is the thing, one is as pointless as the other.

Holt should not be on the pitch at the same time as Benteke. As soon as Holt and the equally ineffective Sylla came on we lost all shape, direction and threat, and became completely disjointed. Those substitutions could easily have cost us the game.

But they didn't.

Personally I don't see the point in playing two target men when your not going play a proper winger that will seek to put decent balls in the box at every opportunity! Holt did well. His pass stat is low because as usual when defending a lead as not one midfielder makes any real effort to support the front 2, but Holt did well to hold it up, slow things down make a nuisance of himself, which is the most you can realistically expect from a target men in that situation, he was far smarter than Benteke in the last 30 minutes (but Benteke's the beast). Was pleasantly surprised by his touch and technique, was expecting it to be like Heskey's, but it was decent. 

Got caught late in the game on the right sideline about halfway and surrounded by 3 WBA midfielders....

... held the first midfielder off using his body, waited for another one to get close enough and played off him for a throw.

Means bugger all in the big scheme of things, perhaps, but if all our players could have done the same it would have been a far less nervy finish. We need that kind of cool head - especially in a derby where the winner ends up in the top half of the table.

I'm not sure why this is worthy of praise but if you're using that example surely you have to balance it out and mention the time he tried to do some sort of flick on in the middle of the park and lost the ball when he could have held it up, the time benteke flicked it to him and while it was a decent first touch, he was too slow to get to the ball before the defender and when he stupidly dived and gave them the ball back cheaply again.

Praising that performance would be hypocritical for me because its the kind of performance I used to criticise Bowery for.

If you can't see why Holt is more useful to have around the team and on the pitch than Bowery then I give up.

Holt should not be on the pitch at the same time as Benteke. As soon as Holt and the equally ineffective Sylla came on we lost all shape, direction and threat, and became completely disjointed. Those substitutions could easily have cost us the game.

But they didn't.

We went into our shell after taking the lead and when we did take the lead Albion looked as likely to score as we did, we weren't that good in the second half, really we should've closed out the first half 4-2 up.  We weren't trying to score a 5th from what it looked like to me! Its always hard for subs to come on when their team are trying to defend a lead. Sylla put himself about, Holt looked to slow things down and waste time, they did what they were supposed to do! I think its unfair the criticism Sylla has received this season, as he hasn't had a run of starts, and most of what we judge him on is 15-25 minutes of substitute appearances here and there.

• Like 1

True - that flick was particularly poor, especially as he should have known better.

But they didn't.

I said `could have'.

But they didn't.

I said `could have'.

A lot of things could have happened! Why don't we focus on what actually happened?

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but he was actually receiving instructions and was about to come on prior to the Lugano conceding the penalty, so it was a purely defensive change, Lambert was going to make it whether or not villa took the lead.

Don't think bringing a striker on for a defender is a defensive move.

Not a criticism at all, I would've been a fan of it. I'm just pointing out he wasn't brought on as a defensive forward in the Bowery role.

He was smart enough to make runs round the back of the defence after a long ball was played to Benteke and if he missed it Holt would pick it up.

Seems like a smart bloke, not at the peak of fitness but will try to do the right thing. Would like to see him from the start of a game but it will be hard with Benteke back.

Playing a lot more than even those who defended the signing thought he would. Hopefully he'll have more of an attacking impact than previous two appearances.

He was forced on by the gabby injury against Liverpool was a fairly late sub against West Brom, and did very well against West Brom. I don't understand what the problem is

Playing a lot more than even those who defended the signing thought he would. Hopefully he'll have more of an attacking impact than previous two appearances.

He was forced on by the gabby injury against Liverpool was a fairly late sub against West Brom, and did very well against West Brom. I don't understand what the problem is
there is no problem.

But John won't let that stop him

Without crosses into the box he's not going to be that effective outside of putting himself about a bit. He appears to be a bit of a poor mans Heskey because Heskey at least would make a bigger nuisance of himself.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Dumb from Lambert two put two target men on it.

Just **** dumb

Especially when Weimann has proven so effective playing off Benteke in recent weeks

Hell if we had signed an AM in January like we should have we could have played him in behind instead of Holt and left Weimann out wide or even rested him because he looked jaded to me and back to his form earlier in the season

Edited by AshVilla

there is no problem.

But John won't let that stop him

Haha another classic performance.

No problem though eh?

Dumb from Lambert two put two target men on it.

Just **** dumb

Especially when Weimann has proven so effective playing off Benteke in recent weeks

Hell if we had signed an AM in January like we should have we could have played him in behind instead of Holt and left Weimann out wide or even rested him because he looked jaded to me and back to his form earlier in the season

But unfortunately he wasn't backed for whatever reason to bring an AM in

Â