Grant Holt

samjp26

As far as I'm concerned I was pleasantly surprised by Holt when he came on. May not be the most gifted player we've ever seen but he's got a bit of grit that we've lacked for a while. I thought he did more right than wrong. I didn't like the dive though.

Got caught late in the game on the right sideline about halfway and surrounded by 3 WBA midfielders....

... held the first midfielder off using his body, waited for another one to get close enough and played off him for a throw.

Means bugger all in the big scheme of things, perhaps, but if all our players could have done the same it would have been a far less nervy finish. We need that kind of cool head - especially in a derby where the winner ends up in the top half of the table.

Every little helps, heh heh.

Got caught late in the game on the right sideline about halfway and surrounded by 3 WBA midfielders....

... held the first midfielder off using his body, waited for another one to get close enough and played off him for a throw.

Means bugger all in the big scheme of things, perhaps, but if all our players could have done the same it would have been a far less nervy finish. We need that kind of cool head - especially in a derby where the winner ends up in the top half of the table.

And this is why the completed passes stat is bollocks, he did his job.

I'm not sure why this is worthy of praise but if you're using that example surely you have to balance it out and mention the time he tried to do some sort of flick on in the middle of the park and lost the ball when he could have held it up, the time benteke flicked it to him and while it was a decent first touch, he was too slow to get to the ball before the defender and when he stupidly dived and gave them the ball back cheaply again.

Praising that performance would be hypocritical for me because its the kind of performance I used to criticise Bowery for.

What did he do that Bowery didn't do when he used to come on?

Apart from getting booked for cheating.

Held it up
In 25 minutes he made 7 passes to a villa player.

Bowery's last appearance he played 13 minutes and made 6 passes to a villa player and also had a shot on target.

I'm not seeing a big difference.

Will you quit with these shit stats. There's more to a game of football than how many passes somebody made!

Big John is the new Con. get out the heatmaps next time ;)

Gotta say I've been pleasantly surprised by Holt, he's not the greatest players but he has guile and nous what we've lacked. Hopefully Lambert has identified player of the similar mould for the summer, albeit younger than Holt.

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but he was actually receiving instructions and was about to come on prior to the Lugano conceding the penalty, so it was a purely defensive change, Lambert was going to make it whether or not villa took the lead.

I think this is a very valid point that is being missed in the bigger picture. I understand why you would want to bring Grant on to hold up play, to win freekicks and to slow the play down at 4-3. He would also help out in defending free kicks and corners. However Holt was about to come on when we were at 3-3 and this is the problem I have with him as a signing he isnt going to suddenly enhance our game going forward at a time when we need that extra impetus to go on and win a game.

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but he was actually receiving instructions and was about to come on prior to the Lugano conceding the penalty, so it was a purely defensive change, Lambert was going to make it whether or not villa took the lead.

Don't think bringing a striker on for a defender is a defensive move.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why this is worthy of praise but if you're using that example surely you have to balance it out and mention the time he tried to do some sort of flick on in the middle of the park and lost the ball when he could have held it up, the time benteke flicked it to him and while it was a decent first touch, he was too slow to get to the ball before the defender and when he stupidly dived and gave them the ball back cheaply again.

Praising that performance would be hypocritical for me because its the kind of performance I used to criticise Bowery for.

If you can't see why Holt is more useful to have around the team and on the pitch than Bowery then I give up.

Hassles defenders and attempts some creative play by incorporating flicks into his game.  By no means a meathead, was unlucky to be booked but he knows his strengths and can hold the ball up. For a sub, he's pretty useful. 

• Like 1

If you can't see why Holt is more useful to have around the team and on the pitch than Bowery then I give up.

I can see the experience argument, although like I said, only 1 decent season in the top flight.

But performances like his last two add nothing to our team. If we hadn't got that pen I wonder if his performance would have been praised because he added nothing to our attacking threat.

I can see the experience argument, although like I said, only 1 decent season in the top flight.

But performances like his last two add nothing to our team. If we hadn't got that pen I wonder if his performance would have been praised because he added nothing to our attacking threat.

He didn't need to and wasn't used INA. Way to add to ihr attack.

Not talking about experience in the prem, just experience in football.

Of course he is, but that is the thing, one is as pointless as the other.

Holt should not be on the pitch at the same time as Benteke. As soon as Holt and the equally ineffective Sylla came on we lost all shape, direction and threat, and became completely disjointed. Those substitutions could easily have cost us the game.

I doubt he would have been brought on if we weren’t in the lead.

He was brought on to relieve pressure and hold up the ball to help secure our win, he did that a little last night.

He was definitely getting ready to come on at 3 3

• Like 1

Â