Grant Holt

samjp26

In all honesty we were playing Liverpool at Anfield and they needed the points. Holt came on and at least did something in a half where Liverpool scored two goals and had the majority of possession. I don't think anybody is saying that it was an inspiring debut, he had an ok game considering the circumstances and showed that he could at least link up with our players. We shouldn't judge him so early, and we should remember that he was bought as cover. Hopefully he can prove to be effective in the limited time that he is on the pitch, either as a sub or starting the odd game as a result of injury. 

Edited by Irinous

he did an alright job of winning the header or holding it up

He won 1 header.

Is five times that bad?

Yes I think it's very poor for a half. He passed the ball to a member of his own team 5 times in 40 minutes.

I think people are saying he played OK because of how poor he is. If any of our front 3 had put that performance it, it would rightly be classed as poor. Its almost like he did OK for a out of shape championship striker rather than judging his performance the same as everyone else.

You're being (predictably) harsh on him, imo.

He did fine.

He wasn't great, or spectacular, but similarly he wasn't poor or terrible.

He was ok. I hope he uses a solid enough debut to build from and help us out for a few months.

• Like 1

he did an alright job of winning the header or holding it up

He won 1 header.

Is five times that bad?

Yes I think it's very poor for a half. He passed the ball to a member of his own team 5 times in 40 minutes.

I think if a striker, often isolated, can hold up a ball over ten times a match then they are making a decent defensive contribution. How often should we be looking for?

Do you have actual statistics that say Holt only won one header? I seem to recall it happening multiple times.

Edit - seems you're right about the headers. http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2013/matches/695114/player-stats/5741/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

I think people are saying he played OK because of how poor he is. If any of our front 3 had put that performance it, it would rightly be classed as poor. Its almost like he did OK for a out of shape championship striker rather than judging his performance the same as everyone else.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I say I thought someone was decent, it's because I thought they were decent based on what they contributed to the match.

Cutting players slack because they are young and have potential makes sense, but I don't see what the point would be in doing so with a 32 year old. Not sure I buy that this is what is happening in this thread.

Edited by LordSepulchrave

So with Lambert saying borrowing Holt and Betrand is the end of our business, I bring this thread back up to ask a genuine question - Not trying to cause arguments - just interested to see gauge mood and see if opinions have changed....

If Lambert is correct and that it's unlikely that we'll sign anyone: How do those in this thread who were critical of people disappointed in this signing, citing it would be in addition to some creativity feel? Disappointed? Happy? Have we done enough?

For me - I felt Holt wasn't good enough and wasn't needed, but pleased with Betrand to a degree that I can let off Lambert for this one. I don't feel that we need the 'number ten', creative spark as when we actually try to play football we are fine on that score - I'm more disappointed that a central defender hasn't been brought in, and perhaps could have been with the Holt funds.

• Like 1

So with Lambert saying borrowing Holt and Betrand is the end of our business, I bring this thread back up to ask a genuine question - Not trying to cause arguments - just interested to see gauge mood and see if opinions have changed....

If Lambert is correct and that it's unlikely that we'll sign anyone: How do those in this thread who were critical of people disappointed in this signing, citing it would be in addition to some creativity feel? Disappointed? Happy? Have we done enough?

For me - I felt Holt wasn't good enough and wasn't needed, but pleased with Betrand to a degree that I can let off Lambert for this one. I don't feel that we need the 'number ten', creative spark as when we actually try to play football we are fine on that score - I'm more disappointed that a central defender hasn't been brought in, and perhaps could have been with the Holt funds.

If that is the last of our business then the window will have been disappointing.

I still don't really attribute that to the Holt signing, just the lack of other activity, if that makes sense.

If we were to bring in Hoolahan (which is looking unlikely) then I'd be much happier.

I had a great view of him from my seat at Anfield. The thing I liked the most was, we finally had a mouth on the pitch, a few of us watched him for a while, and he was marshalling Andi all over the place, chatting in the liverpool defenders ears, pointing at where westwood should be. He really did add that bit of experience and the players around him seemed to responed to it.

Not expecting him to set the prem on fire, but what I saw at anfield I'm happy to have that around the place.

Wouldn't have a problem with him starting tonight either, he got into some good positions against liverpool, and I think a more match fit holt would probably of bagged a goal.

We do have too many "nice" guys on the team. While it's annoying to see a player screaming at everyone, sometimes it's needed. Guzan and Vlaar obviously do it from time to time and I've seen Delph have a go occasionally, but there isn't a person that constantly does it among our midfielders and forwards. I love Gabby, but I don't think he commands the type of respect needed to boss everyone around.

our strikers also have a thing for scoring on home debut from recent memory so maybe Holty might score. from what i remember all the following did

Benteke

Bent

Carew

Nilis

Dublin(i think)

Saunders

We do have too many "nice" guys on the team. While it's annoying to see a player screaming at everyone, sometimes it's needed. Guzan and Vlaar obviously do it from time to time and I've seen Delph have a go occasionally, but there isn't a person that constantly does it among our midfielders and forwards. I love Gabby, but I don't think he commands the type of respect needed to boss everyone around.

I have always thought that Clark did a lot of talking.

our strikers also have a thing for scoring on home debut from recent memory so maybe Holty might score. from what i remember all the following did

Benteke

Bent

Carew

Nilis

Dublin(i think)

Saunders

Phillips

Baros

Milner

Â