Grant Holt

samjp26

I've read though all the pages in this thread and I still haven't seen anything suggesting that we are signing Holt. Did Lambert mention it in the post match or something?

Well, it's been said he's having a medical tomorrow by a Sky journo, and they asked Lambert after they game who didn't deny and it suggested that we were about to sign him.

• Like 1

I don't think it really matters if he's cover for Kozak or not. It says a lot about the current state of this great football club that this is the caliber of player we are signing.

We signed Harewood on a permanent basis.

Habib Beye.

Gabor Kiraly and Didier Agathe.

Robert Pires.

This is nothing new.

Indeed. And we signed some of those players at the apparent height of our recent success.

Those are some awful signings no doubting that. But they did not come at a time when fan morale was at such a low.

MON could get away with some of those poor signings as they were not crucial, he had exciting signings like Milner, Young etc to get the fans excitement up. This Holt transfer comes at a time when the entire club needs a lift and the Holt signing just reaffirms to fans how bleak it is to be a Villa fan right now.

If we got Ince in or Zaha on loan, those are players whilst not being the big block buster signings we all crave, they should be within out budget and would give the fans a lift to see some attack minded players come in, 

Sorry I must have missed when the window closed.

Moan if and when we sign nobody else. Right now it's moaning about a potential disappointment rather than something that has actually happened.

Fine, I'll follow Holt's lead and be a proper man and not moan  :P

Anyone? Anyone going to tell me why a good manager, after signing 4 strikers for the club, can't make his team work or play the way he wants without grant holt?

Because 1 (the one he's replacing) has a broken leg, Helenius isn't the same type of striker as Kozak and still getting to grips with league, and Bowery is that great. Plus Gabby is utilised as a wide man as is Weimann (who's been cack all season).

So I count 1 first team striker, 2 young backups and 2 wide men, plus one out for the rest of the season.

Holt most likely won't start, he's a Kozak replacement.

But you know, **** the logic behind the signing, let's slag off the club!

EDIT: I'll add, I'm not over the moon with the signing, but it makes sense, as long as it isn't our only signing, which I doubt.

It makes sense? Signing a player not fit or good enough to play in the league below makes sense?

Yes. One of our strikers has broken his leg. We have identified a similar striker who would cost very little and probably on lowish wages. We signed him on a 6 month deal. He most likely won't start ahead of Benteke and is better than our current Kozak backup, Bowery.

It makes sense.

Or we could try actually playing football and use the players we have. Crazy thought but maybe try that instead of hoofing it to a man not fit enough or good enough to perform at championship level. I guess you'd need a good manager for that though.

• Like 1

for me it just signals the intent of Lambert. Long ball bullshit. Why not throw Helenius up top? or just stick with Benteke with Wiemann or Gabby.. hell even give a youth player a run. No lets go waste limited wages on Holt who will add nothing. We cant hold the ball in midfield. Fix that problem before you sign your 14th striker at the club. Which striker is going to score goals with very little chances. Average striker needs 3-4 chances to before putting away one. Our strikers need to be ruthless to get goals as they only get 3-4 chances a whole game.

It still blows mind how some of you have lowered your expectations of this club so much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8414888.stm

This is our club just over 4 years ago. Would this team have signed Grant **** Holt.

I've literally just lost it. I've been patient for over 2 years. I want Lambert and his dreadful football and dreadful signings out of this club. If Holt is in the lineup or comes off the bench I will walk out of the ground I am not watching that fat excuse of a lower league footballer play for us.

Edited by skarroki

How low is his opinion of Helenius that he would make this signing?

Different type of player.

Anyone? Anyone going to tell me why a good manager, after signing 4 strikers for the club, can't make his team work or play the way he wants without grant holt?

Because 1 (the one he's replacing) has a broken leg, Helenius isn't the same type of striker as Kozak and still getting to grips with league, and Bowery is that great. Plus Gabby is utilised as a wide man as is Weimann (who's been cack all season).

So I count 1 first team striker, 2 young backups and 2 wide men, plus one out for the rest of the season.

Holt most likely won't start, he's a Kozak replacement.

But you know, **** the logic behind the signing, let's slag off the club!

EDIT: I'll add, I'm not over the moon with the signing, but it makes sense, as long as it isn't our only signing, which I doubt.

It makes sense? Signing a player not fit or good enough to play in the league below makes sense?

Yes. One of our strikers has broken his leg. We have identified a similar striker who would cost very little and probably on lowish wages. We signed him on a 6 month deal. He most likely won't start ahead of Benteke and is better than our current Kozak backup, Bowery.

It makes sense.

Or we could try actually playing football and use the players we have. Crazy thought but maybe try that instead of hoofing it to a man not fit enough or good enough to perform at championship level. I guess you'd need a good manager for that though.

As I said, **** the logic behind the signing.

It almost feels as though the defenders of this signing are just doing it for the sake of it now. I'm pretty sure if anyone else in the league had picked up an overweight 32 year old that's featured in just 11 games for a mid table Championship side you'd be scratching your head and wondering why, or even having a good laugh at their expense.

• Like 1

It still blows mind how some of you have lowered your expectations of this club so much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8414888.stm

This is our club just over 4 years ago. Would this team have signed Grant **** Holt.

I've literally just lost it. I've been patient for over 2 years. I want Lambert and his dreadful football and dreadful signings out of this club. If Holt is in the lineup or comes off the bench I will walk out of the ground I am not watching that fat excuse of a lower league footballer play for us.

Seriously? You're going to lose it over a short term loan signing?

I can understand it losing over the results or the style of football but this?

It almost feels as though the defenders of this signing are just doing it for the sake of it now. I'm pretty sure if anyone else in the league had picked up an overweight 32 year old that's featured in just 11 games for a mid table Championship side you'd be scratching your head and wondering why, or even having a good laugh at their expense.

Hardly anyone's even defending it, some of us just aren't blowing it out of proportion.

Edited by Mantis

How low is his opinion of Helenius that he would make this signing?

There are two types of men in football.

Proper men, and girly big girls' blouses.

Grant Holt is a proper man.  Kind of broad at the shoulders and slim at the hips.

Edited by Risso

100% this.

Â