Grant Holt

samjp26

He's here now lets get behind the guy shall we.

Well, there's room behind him for plenty of us.

OK, I'm just kidding. Now that he's here I will support him. I will be a grown-up about it.

I just really hope Lambert knows what he's doing here. Holt had a great season with Norwich underLambert a couple of years back, and was his captain to boot, he's a strong presence with good leadership skills and experience, that is something we're lacking. It's possible that Holt's struggled for form and motivation since then because Lambert knows how to get the best out of him where other coaches don't. It's also possible that Holt's just declined in those years and that form might not come back. We will wait and see, I guess.

The most surprising thing for me about this deal is the fact the mirror got something right, whats going on in the world?

Edited by av1

All things considered I don't think this is bad business. I still hope to see more of Helenius before the season's out but I'd also like to see less of Bowery. It covers a position in the short term without eating too much into our resources. I'm not expecting him to pull up trees but hopefully he doesn't have to.

Back-up striker is not the key position for us in this window. I'll judge the relative success or failure of our business on what we are able to do in midfield.

• Like 1

Am I actually strange to think this may just work out for us?

He's a big unit who gets stuck in to defenders and winds them up, which is precisely what Benteke has failed to do for much of the season. At the other end his height and experience could help with defending any last-minute corners. Lets just hope he's not going to be used as a starter as the type of hoofball we'd play would be worse than McLeish.

Edited by R.I.C.O.
  • Like 1

He is supposed to be Kozak's replacement, so better him than nobody, as long as paying his wages doesn't prevent us from signing other players. I'd much rather have him come on yesterday instead of Weimann, for instance.

What i don't get about Lambert is that he wants a big tall striker up front but doesn't play with any wingers to provide crosses for them.

• Like 1

He's a big unit who gets stuck in to defenders and winds them up, which is precisely what Benteke has failed to do for much of the season. At the other end his height and experience could help with defending any last-minute corners. Lets just hope he's not going to be used as a starter as the type of hoofball we'd play would be worse than McLeish.

It already is.

He is supposed to be Kozak's replacement, so better him than nobody, as long as paying his wages doesn't prevent us from signing other players. I'd much rather have him come on yesterday instead of Weimann, for instance.

What i don't get about Lambert is that he wants a big tall striker up front but doesn't play with any wingers to provide crosses for them.

I agree with this. We desperately need a winger or attacking midfielder. Really we need both. And a DM. And a left back.   

Maybe Lowton and Luna are supposed to be the wingers? The only problem is both are horrifically out of form and neither like to get out wide and stretch the play, they are both constantly backtracking and seldom cross the half way line.

His value might manifest more in the dressing room and training ground, and that would be fine with me. This team is short on older players with grit and determination. He could set a good example.

• Like 4

It already is.

Lambert hasnt played the legendary 6-4-0 formation yet but he's getting close. If Holt is a first choice starter for us for the rest of the season I can't see gates of more than 30,000, it will make everyone's eyes bleed.

Â