Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

I personally couldn't care less if we were knocked out of the cup on Saturday. It means we can play less games and focus on staying in this league. Sometimes it's a good opportunity to test some of the younger lads, maybe Helenius will get a go, Steer gets some more experience in goal etc etc, but to use our main players would just put us in a worse position if they become injured or exhausted.

The FA cup is a famous competition, and anything can happen, but it's only really any good if you are already a side that is not fighting for survival in the greatest league in the world OR if you have squads the size of the top few and your weakest side is still better than some prem teams main eleven.

I think it's right to rest some players for the cup games because staying in the league is the key thing yet again this season.

If  l believed what some claim that there is 0% chance of us having to fight in the relegation battle then i'd question why we didn't go all in for the FA Cup.

But as i very much fear relegation i see the logic in resting players for the league games to come.

• Like 2

I have listened to the actual interview, and I think the media are twisting this quite a bit. To me, most of the interview is about why the FA cup might hold less significance nowadays,, and the financial importance of PL vs other competitions - for PL teams in general, not Aston Villa specifically. (Quite a bit of leading questions from Tom Ross, btw...)

I don't hear him saying that Villa could do without the FA cup, but that he thinks that given the choice, most PL managers could do without it, because in modern-day football the financial gains in staying in the PL and even getting into CL for even more financial gain has become the most important factor. (IMO, he sounds like he would prefer it otherwise - the comments about modern-day footballers measuring success in terms of their contract, not in terms of their medals or their memories would seem to suggest that.)

He does say the team vs Sheffield United might have to reflect both that there are players that would benefit from a run-out, and that there's an upcoming match against Arsenal. Fair enough, isn't it? And that if it's possible to progress in the cup, then he'd want to get through.

No hints of giving up the FA cup altogether IMO. 

• Like 3

I'm not going to name the player. I can't. It isn't the player already mentioned. But the manager has already identified him and carried out some background work to find out how much he would cost and what his wages would need to be. It is now down to RL or PF to take it from there. Other options are being explored. Listen, I can't say 100 per cent they will happen but it does look slightly more encouraging right now which is good.

Is the player based outside the premier league ??

I havent read all of the pages on here but I agree with Lambert 100%. I havent given a shit about the FA Cup for a decade. It's great if you win it, anything less and its a pain in the arse to all involved. And one final in 60 years suggests we will never win it.

• Like 2

In my honest opinion, the cups are ruined by the fact that the best teams field their weaker players - not because of extra games to the tally. That of course makes it easier for us to win the competition, but do Celtic-fans really want Rangers to play two divisions beneath them? If you get to the final of the FA Cup you play what, like 7 games in total? One or two of them against (hopefully) lackluster teams from the divisions, so it's not like we are talking about the Europa League. Besides, most of the games are on Saturdays with no games in mid-week for us, so what are we really complaining about? The FA Cup (and also the League Cup - which is obviously worth less) is history in itself, it's the only way our players can get to the biggest stadium in the country at the end of the year. Lambert can say whatever he wants to, I just don't understand the point about talking down something you cannot change in your lifetime. It's a squad-game and many teams are equipped for it, especially those that boast reserves much better than the bottom-10 clubs in the Premier League. They can afford to change 9 players before they play Sheffield United, we simply cannot as the odds would be even and the respect for the game lost. Man City could pick reserves like Pantillimon, Kolarov, Demichelis, Lescott, Nasri, Milner, Javi Garcia, Rodwell, Dzeko and Jovetic - and still win the cup. 

I understand the point about having to play two cups, if someone was to nag about the extra games then the League Cup would have to be the one in question. The FA Cup has been around since 1892 and will not go away in my lifetime. So buckle up and play the best team possible, it's the only way we can win something and it's the only way we can get into Europe. People will most likely respond to that by saying we don't want to get into Europe because of the extra games, the lack of squad, the lack of financial ability and so on - but then again, why even bother watching this game? I don't follow Villa so that I can see all the goals we are not scoring in all the games we are not winning, so that we can finish 12th and go on holiday. It's about that tiny hope of seeing us lifting a trophy, no matter if it's the Capital One Cup or something else. Lambert should embrace these games are he is given the opportunity to raise our dreadful play, to make players tick against lousy opposition in a meaningful game, get Benteke back to scoring goals and so on. Our players (give or take that they will miss a few games in the Premier League through niggles and bans) will play 40 games in total this season excluding Internationals, Cristiano Ronaldo played 54-55-55 in his last three seasons, Messi even breached 60 two years ago.

• Like 2

I would like to see the 4th Champions League spot go to the winners of the FA cup, it would certainly bring some of the 'magic' back, some real incentive to win it. The way it is at the moment, Lambert has it spot on, there is no incentive for a club to win the FA Cup. It's great as a fan, but relatively insignificant as a club.

• Like 2

If we fail to beat Sheffield Utd, the animosity would be there, regardless of the interview.

I'd be interested to read how many of the moaners would do exactly as Lambert will do & make several changes from yesterdays 11?

& how many would field the same starting 11?

Benteke & Vlaar will surely both be rested for a start & rightly so imo.

Going by that Lambert interview i think Benteke will play just to get some more game time and match fitness in.

I would like to see the 4th Champions League spot go to the winners of the FA cup, it would certainly bring some of the 'magic' back, some real incentive to win it. The way it is at the moment, Lambert has it spot on, there is no incentive for a club to win the FA Cup. It's great as a fan, but relatively insignificant as a club.

Winning the FA Cup used to be as big as winning the league! Its ashame how this great competion has been devalued. As least the way it is now the smaller clubs have more chance of winning it. We have such a crap record in it since 57. Final once, a couple of semis and i think thats it. Rubbish for a club of our size.

• Like 1