Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Bollocks, Lambert!

The FA Cup is an important competition. For clubs like the one you are managing, which have apparently set their sights solely mid-table performance, it's one of two chances to win something.

So get out there and try to win it and stop whingeing.

To be fair, Lambert does not say that on the interview.

Priceless!!!!

If Lambert had announced he was going full steam ahead to win the cup, you'd have been on here whinging about him jepordising our PL status by risking players.

Whatever decision he makes will provoke whinging for whinging sake. He's our manager ffs-He's doing what he thinks is best for our club. Give it a rest now-You're like a stuck record.

I know the cup is not what is was but come on Paul. We are steeped in the FA Cup. Winners in 1887 versus the baggies, losing the the little tin Idol, world record crowd versus Sunderland in 1913, 75,500 versus Man City in 1938, ground record crowd of 76,588 versus Derby, 1957 and held the most wins for a Club, Dion's penalty back from a broken neck, Carew's hatrick versus Reading......

At least the Cup tries to be fair with sharing the gate receipts. With the league, we have  no chance. Hunter Davies once called football 'The glory game'. Where is the glory in coming 11th? Romance is dead and football has killed it. Allow us to dream Paul please.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

If we go well in the FA Cup we go well. I wouldn't be risking potential injuries to key players with it though. Maybe around quarter/semi final time if we're looking safe, but before that I'd really rather we focus on staying in the league for another season. Next year we can look at cups

• Like 1

Bollocks, Lambert!

The FA Cup is an important competition. For clubs like the one you are managing, which have apparently set their sights solely mid-table performance, it's one of two chances to win something.

So get out there and try to win it and stop whingeing.

To be fair, Lambert does not say that on the interview.

I was really commenting on this quote from the BBC web site

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert says clubs could do without FA Cup

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes the majority of top-flight clubs would rather not have the distraction of the FA Cup.

Speaking before Saturday's third-round game with Sheffield United, Lambert was asked whether the FA Cup was something Premier League clubs could do without.

"I think if you asked the majority of them, if they were being honest, they probably would do," he told BBC WM.

"Not just because of the money but survival in the league is vital."

The Scot added: "It is realistic. That is the nature of it. If anyone says any differently then I am not so sure they will be telling the truth because the Premier League is the most vital thing that anyone wants to get into and we are no different."

By contrast, I, a simple fan too thick to get all the subtleties of the Paul Lambert strategy, just want us to go out there on Saturday and try to win. On Saturday, the Cup is the most important thing.

However, at least he has prepared me for a tame defeat.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Priceless!!!!

If Lambert had announced he was going full steam ahead to win the cup, you'd have been on here whinging about him jepordising our PL status by risking players.

Whatever decision he makes will provoke whinging for whinging sake. He's our manager ffs-He's doing what he thinks is best for our club. Give it a rest now-You're like a stuck record.

Who is the "you" being addressed  here?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

"The FA Cup is something we can do without."

Paul Lambert.

Forget the cup runs, those days are over it seems.

We simply don't have the squad for it. Not a hugely controversial opinion, but seemingly used to beat Lambert with.

• Like 3

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

Makes sense, but why did we continue to do it when he was out of the team. Also should we not have a variety of corners to suit the CB instead of one player dictating to the manager what way to take corners.

That's not true, against Palace they were whipped in, not very well but there was no floaters.

On the contrary, we had a team full of floaters against Palace.

• Like 2

Yeah-Wigan went all out for the cup last year & look what happened to them.

The FA Cup has been devalued over recent years & going into the 3rd round after the Xmas schedule is obviously not going to be relished by any PL manager.

If we were to get past the 1st few rounds, I'm sure the manager would take a different perspective on the situation-Just as we did last year in the other cup.

Sometimes, it seems people want to moan just for the sake of it.

We'll field a weakened side & go all out to win-Can't see what everyone is getting their nickers in a twist about.

I'm happy with the decision. Tough games coming up and I don't want injuries to key players.

But I can see why some want the cups to be taken seriously though.

Sometimes, it seems people want to moan just for the sake of it.

Couldn't be because that's actually their opinion?

• Like 1

I think the media are putting an over-the-top spin on it.

'The Premier League is the most vital thing that everybody wants to get into. We are no different. The cup competitions? Absolutely, I want to get through in the FA Cup. But your main one is the league.'

• Like 1

Their "opinions" are highly amusing BJ.

But simply stating the obvious (that the league is more important than the cup) seems to open doors for another pointless round of Lambert bashing. All these people are doing is showing their ignorance

Unless you can point me to  a top flight manager, ever, in the history of the game who has claimed the cup is more important than the league on the 1st January.

I'm with Lambert re: the cup to be honest.

We aren't going to win it. Even if you get to a final then the likelihood is you'll be screwed over by a referee, who often favour the top lot, especially in games such as a final. It didn't do much good for Wigan last year. Or small heath the year before that.

It's a shame, and I wish it was different.

Saying that, I'd rather we didn't lose on Saturday as it'll be rather embarrassing.

I'm not with Lambert and I'm disappointed in his comments. It's not like we're in the Europa League and have to go play in Ukraine on a Thursday. it's a Saturday game at Villa Park with a full week until the next fixture. I know we've fallen away over the last few years but really it shouldn't be too much to ask to compete in the occasional cup games and see where you get to. Doesn't mean you can't mix the side up if people are tired or needing an opportunity, but if we draw Man Utd in the 4th round I expect us to go full strength and try and win the game. After all, if we don't compete in the cups, we're going to be resigning ourselves to not winning anything again for a very long time.

Have you even read the full interview?

If we fail to beat Sheffield Utd, the animosity would be there, regardless of the interview.

I'd be interested to read how many of the moaners would do exactly as Lambert will do & make several changes from yesterdays 11?

& how many would field the same starting 11?

Benteke & Vlaar will surely both be rested for a start & rightly so imo.

• Like 1