Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Wouldn't class it as a relegation battle. I'd say 4 more wins are required. There is obviously a worry of getting sucked into it with it being so tight in the bottom half but yesterdays win has helped no end, especially given the tough January we have ahead of us.

I just hope people can now understand the importance of halting the loosing streak against Swansea now-It helped set us up for yesterdays win, without arguably our two most key outfield players.

Be still nice to have a decent cup run but like most, I'll loose no sleep if we don't have one.

• Like 1

Lambert or Hairyhands, if you're reading this; sod the FA Cup this season. We haven't won it for an eternity and even if we had our whole squad fit it would still be asking a lot of them, at the moment.

League survival has to be priority and with so many players injured it's going to be tough enough as it is. We don't want our players getting twisting ankles or pulling hamstrings on shitty League two pitches midwinter. Just play the youngsters and if they get through then fair play to them. If not, they will have at least had some experience.

Either way, we need our best players as fit as possible for the remainder of the season and breaks on the cup weekends will do them good.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Which is just as well cos I really couldn't be bothered to type it.

Lambert or Hairyhands, if you're reading this; sod the FA Cup this season. We haven't won it for an eternity and even if we had our whole squad fit it would still be asking a lot of them, at the moment.

League survival has to be priority and with so many players injured it's going to be tough enough as it is. We don't want our players getting twisting ankles or pulling hamstrings on shitty League two pitches midwinter. Just play the youngsters and if they get through then fair play to them. If not, they will have at least had some experience.

Either way, we need our best players as fit as possible for the remainder of the season and breaks on the cup weekends will do them good.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Which is just as well cos I really couldn't be bothered to type it.

On the other hand its our only chance of silverware this season. How many points might be enough to stay up. 38?

On the other hand its our only chance of silverware this season. How many points might be enough to stay up. 38?

It still gives us a chance in Europe right?

Not defended Lambert lately, but it seems obvious his comments were taken out of context. I'm sure he would be jubilant if we win the cup,  but we have a big enough struggle in the league. We need to improve and league performance, but silverware would be an added bonus. 

Just play the Next Gen boys, because they know how to win a trophy. :)

The Paul Lambert comments on the FA Cup are frustrating to hear.

I would much rather us finish 17th and win the FA Cup, than just finish 9th in the league. The Cup gives us an opportunity of European football (which the league would not). The thought of us just finishing mid table at best year after year is thoroughly depressing,we all love football for the excitement !!

Of course avoiding relegation is the primary aim, but to dismiss the FA Cup like this I think is appalling. We would struggle to beat any league one side with some of the dross Lambert has bought (our 'squad' players such as sylla, tonev, Westwood, el Ahmadi, Bowery, Kozak, Bennett etc etc etc). If it wasn't for benteke and vlaar his signings would be the worst in the clubs history!

What we need now is a cup run, and us to spent good money on good players, no more 1-2m on junk!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I would much rather us finish 17th and win the FA Cup, than just finish 9th in the league. The Cup gives us an opportunity of European football (which the league would not). The thought of us just finishing mid table at best year after year is thoroughly depressing,we all love football for the excitement !!

Of course avoiding relegation is the primary aim, but to dismiss the FA Cup like this I think is appalling. We would struggle to beat any league one side with some of the dross Lambert has bought (our 'squad' players such as sylla, tonev, Westwood, el Ahmadi, Bowery, Kozak, Bennett etc etc etc). If it wasn't for benteke and vlaar his signings would be the worst in the clubs history!

What we need now is a cup run, and us to spent good money on good players, no more 1-2m on junk!!!!!!!

Please read the article and not just the headline :)

Re-read what Lambert said then comment.

Edit: He's already replied to Stefan.

Edited by Avfc96

Not defended Lambert lately, but it seems obvious his comments were taken out of context. 

Old briny he say: comments are NEVER taken out of context. That is the last refuge of a rogue.  He said what he said and it was quoted on the BBC web site (so no slurs about gutter journalism etc.). There are all sorts of ways you can imagine he didn't quite mean it to come out that way, but that is undoubtedly what he said:

Lambert was asked whether the FA Cup was something Premier League clubs could do without.

"I think if you asked the majority of them, if they were being honest, they probably would do," he told BBC WM.

"Not just because of the money but survival in the league is vital."

The Scot added: "It is realistic. That is the nature of it. If anyone says any differently then I am not so sure they will be telling the truth because the Premier League is the most vital thing that anyone wants to get into and we are no different."

• Like 1

Their "opinions" are highly amusing BJ.

But simply stating the obvious (that the league is more important than the cup) seems to open doors for another pointless round of Lambert bashing. All these people are doing is showing their ignorance

Unless you can point me to  a top flight manager, ever, in the history of the game who has claimed the cup is more important than the league on the 1st January.

You might have to hunt to find any exact quote to that effect by a manager, but I think it's fair to say that only a few decades ago (certainly in the seventies and eighties) a 3rd Round FA Cup tie was very often seen as more important than the League matches either side of it.

In those days the fans would turn up in greater numbers for a cup match than they would for a League match against the same opponents, because Cup matches were seen as more exciting and having more at stake. Winning the FA Cup was almost as prestigious as winning the League, and the knock-out nature of the competition made the games particularly intense. That's why a very hard-fought League match would sometimes be referred to as "a real cup-tie" even though it was "only" a League match.

Anyone back then saying that the FA Cup was an "unwanted distraction" from being 11th in the League would have been thought slightly crazy.

The club clearly see the league as the priority. A cup would be nice but not at the expense of our Premier League status. Look at Wigan, won a cup got relegated, same with Blues a couple of seasons back. MON in Moscow? I could be wrong but didn't our own league form improve last year once we got knocked out by Bradford?

Not defended Lambert lately, but it seems obvious his comments were taken out of context. 

Old briny he say: comments are NEVER taken out of context. That is the last refuge of a rogue.  He said what he said and it was quoted on the BBC web site (so no slurs about gutter journalism etc.). There are all sorts of ways you can imagine he didn't quite mean it to come out that way, but that is undoubtedly what he said:

Lambert was asked whether the FA Cup was something Premier League clubs could do without.

"I think if you asked the majority of them, if they were being honest, they probably would do," he told BBC WM.

The Scot added: "It is realistic. That is the nature of it. If anyone says any differently then I am not so sure they will be telling the truth because the Premier League is the most vital thing that anyone wants to get into and we are no different."

Just go and listen to the whole thing yourself. It was a leading question and his answer wasnt even specifically about Villa.

And of course the BBC is terrible at sports journalism, one of the worst in fact.

• Like 1

Seems to be a lot of fans up either the players or managers arse at the moment. Considering that this is the manager that the club are sticking with for the foreseeable future, we should cut the guy some slack because shredding him isn't going to help anything.

In my opinion the comments made by Lambert are perfectly acceptable. He is being smart. We have an increasing number of injuries, we are 6 points off relegation, and need the best starting 11 possible for the next few fixtures in the league, the first one being in in form Arsenal, against an out of form home Villa. What's wrong with that? He's allowed an opinion and he certainly he didn't go and say "yeah I'm not really arsed about the cup ill let the youngsters have a bash". Lambert answered for the whole of the league and merely suggested that there are bigger things to win and more pressing and competitive challenges of concern. Either way Lambert isnt going to not go for a win an thats what it seems like people are suggesting he said/implied - which would be absurd. Everyone makes mistakes - especially in unplanned interviews.

Old briny he say: comments are NEVER taken out of context. That is the last refuge of a rogue. He said what he said and it was quoted on the BBC web site (so no slurs about gutter journalism etc.). There are all sorts of ways you can imagine he didn't quite mean it to come out that way, but that is undoubtedly what he said:

Just go and listen to the whole thing yourself. It was a leading question and his answer wasnt even specifically about Villa.

And of course the BBC is terrible at sports journalism, one of the worst in fact.

I don't really see how repeating the quote that I had already quoted adds anything. Let me try and make it clear:

1. He wasn't "quoted out of context". He was asked if he could do without the Fa Cup and he said yes.

2. If he didn't want this quote to be a headline he should have said something different - there are any number of ways to answer that question in a non-quotable way.

I don't really see how repeating the quote that I had already quoted adds anything. Let me try and make it clear:

1. He wasn't "quoted out of context". He was asked if he could do without the Fa Cup and he said yes.

2. If he didn't want this quote to be a headline he should have said something different - there are any number of ways to answer that question in a non-quotable way.

You are being clear.

1.) Is just plain wrong. You should go and listen to it. He did not say he could do without the FA Cup. He responded to a leading question by broadening it.

2.) You are correct. He is probably kicking himself and if the Villa media bloke (Doogan?) has any sense he will have put radio WM on the "never gets an interview with Villa again" list.

Would be the complete opposite for me, Swansea's run in the Europa League has turned them from a solid top-half side into a team involved in a 11 team relegation battle. Fair enough arguably two of their best players (Michu and Vorm) have been ruled out injured for long periods, but the run-in of games has made them less of a threat than they were.

Edited by Avflife

The reason he singled out the FA Cup is the timing I think, and the same reason a lot of managers don't give a shit. The later rounds really interfere with the schedule during the run in, and makes teams like wigan play a shitload of games when they really need to focus on the league. If you go to one cup, ditch the league cup and play a lot of the FA cup in the first half, sides will field a stronger lineup for a couple reasons. A) Only one domestic cup places a lot more prestige on it. Spain and Italy seem to care about their cup a lot more. So it's a choice between one great cup and two shitty meaningless cups. B) since it will take place largely in the first half teams won't be as worried about the imminent threat of relegation and even if they're struggling they may play a strong side to build momentum and confidence. (like Sunderland just did against Chelsea in the league cup).

Finally, throw more TV money into it. There's such a big pool for prem clubs, take some out of that and give it to FA Cup prize money. (sharing it with the lower leagues is another thing that really really needs to happen, the financial gap is becoming so unhealthy, but thats a whole nother issue)

As for the 4th champions league spot going to the FA CUp, that's a non starter. The 4th side has to go into a playoff, and if you let a lower club take that spot they're likely to lose the playoff and end up in the Europa League anyway. (think wigan would've beaten the likes of Zenit, Milan or Lyon?) Also, and partially because of the playoff issue, it would damage England's coefficient. A weakened side in the champions league (or likely Europa League) would increase the chance that England (whos coefficient has fallen behind Spain) could lose the fourth champions league spot at some point down the line.