Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Delph is 50k per week?! That can't be right can it?

Delph is on the MON contract structure. He got his contract back when we were paying out big money.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when his current deal runs out becasue he will have to take a pay cut if he is going to sign another contract with us.

He'll most likely leave then. I can't see him taking any major pay-cut given as he is now one of our key players. Will this mean that Gabby will have to take a pay-cut when we eventually offer him a new deal also?

I'd assume that is close, he was highly rated at Leeds, we offered him possibly 35k to join as a teenager, then increased it when Houllier was manager.

Ah. I didn't think he got any significant increase when his contract was renewed.

I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't doubt he is on high wages. We offered Weimann, Clark, Westwood, Lowton, Baker and Benteke new deals. Theres no coincidence why new deals with Gabby and Delph are not being discussed as of yet when they have a similar length remaining.

90k pw until the end of the season is around £1.5m ? (about what we paid for Sylla) - of course that asuumes no loan fee - but he is out of contract in the summer, so wouldn't have thought there would have been one.

I'd assume that is close, he was highly rated at Leeds, we offered him possibly 35k to join as a teenager, then increased it when Houllier was manager.

Ah. I didn't think he got any significant increase when his contract was renewed.

I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't doubt he is on high wages. We offered Weimann, Clark, Westwood, Lowton, Baker and Benteke new deals. Theres no coincidence why new deals with Gabby and Delph are not being discussed as of yet when they have a similar length remaining.

Good point.

Benteke isn't on as much as 50k but Delph earns just over that. I think he might have cost more than the rest of the team if not yesterday then the previous game. He's improving but hot to play much better to justify that wage.

Manager was quoted 90k a week for a defender.....is at a top four club, hardly plays, and club not willing to make any contribution to the players wages. I'm sure you will know who I mean. Would have been great even if only short term. But couldn't get close to affording that!

I take it you mean Delph wages ?  - We if he is on 50kpw - thats means the other 10 are 5k pw .....including Gabby - who we know is our top earner ?

Doesn't sound promising for Delph's new contract......

No he said cost more, he means Delph cost around 6mill which probably was the cost of the whole team vs Swansea

I've backed Lambert heartily from the start; probably through blind faith more that too much else.

But I really got into the game yesterday and found myself getting angrier and angrier than we can't play football.

There was a time in the second half before Albrighton's skier, about 80 mins or something where we were attempting to lay it round to each other in their half under no pressure whatsoever. We were making it tricky for ourselves by not moving well enough and most of the touches had the ball bouncing up off the floor, then Delph and Weimann (I think) exchanged passes and the ball ended up 6 ft in the air after Delph cocked up and Sunderland broke away and won a corner.

They had gone. They were barely even closing us down and we couldn't keep the ball. It's been like this for a while, but yesterday really got to me.

I can't stand it. Sort it out Lambo.

And if I'm making wishes for 2014, please stop doing floated heading-practice-for-centre-halves corners, they are toss. Cheers.

• Like 1

I would think Gabby would also need to take a pay cut to get a new contract here.

We would probably offer him the same as Benteke is currently on.

He'll probably have to. I can't think of any other club who will pay him what he is earning here. Unless QPR are promoted of course... ;)

How about that Arsenal defender, Djourou?

Is he injured?

EDIT: I should probably mention this in the transfer thread (tbh, I thought I was in it!)

Edited by Rob182

Just re reading this thread again - are we forever limited to paying wages only up to £30k ?

If so it would seem unlikley that Delph will sign a new deal - and the chances of any experienced players joining this window would seem slim....

Rest easy, there isn't another team that would pay Delph his current salary. He's that talked up into something he isn't by some of our supporters, that it's genuinely head scratching

How about that Arsenal defender, Djourou?

Is he injured?

EDIT: I should probably mention this in the transfer thread (tbh, I thought I was in it!)

He plays in Germany on loan (i think)

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

I said this, as I noticed when CB wasn't playing we were attempting to whip them in. But in the game it needs variation.

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

Makes sense, but why did we continue to do it when he was out of the team. Also should we not have a variety of corners to suit the CB instead of one player dictating to the manager what way to take corners.

Makes sense, but why did we continue to do it when he was out of the team. Also should we not have a variety of corners to suit the CB instead of one player dictating to the manager what way to take corners.

That's not true, against Palace they were whipped in, not very well but there was no floaters.

I said this, as I noticed when CB wasn't playing we were attempting to whip them in. But in the game it needs variation.

To be honest I never noticed this. IMO it was the same floaters from Westwood and you will see in the Westwood thread most people thought the same.

Problem is every other team in the league know he's our main threat so he's always marked well.  I'd just mix it up a bit. Other teams must watch our corners and know exactly what we're going to do every time so can train in how to defend it. If we're unpredictable it may lead to half a chance.