Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Listen the manager does care about the cups - but he places premier league survival ahead of them right now. Anyone who thinks he wouldn't love to lead Villa to FA Cup success is off their head! His quotes were taken out of context. He will make chances for Sat but because one or two need a rest, one or two need game time and the team could be doing with a change or two.

Anyone having a pop at manager for not wanting to win a cup should get a grip.

If you read the headline then it looks like he doesn't care. But then of you take the time to read the full interview you soon realise that this isn't the case. Headlines sell newspapers so 'the league is a priority. But I still want to win the cup' wouldn't of grabbed as much attention.

• Like 1

Listen the manager does care about the cups - but he places premier league survival ahead of them right now. Anyone who thinks he wouldn't love to lead Villa to FA Cup success is off their head! His quotes were taken out of context. He will make chances for Sat but because one or two need a rest, one or two need game time and the team could be doing with a change or two.

Anyone having a pop at manager for not wanting to win a cup should get a grip.

Does seem out of context HH I'm pretty sure Lambert dreams about leading a team out at FA Cup final but survival is more important.Thanks for the posts HH

• Like 1

Yes he was on about medals being something a player can look back upon so obviously he does care about winning the FA Cup but realistically he will be judged on making progress in the league not how well we do in the cup. 

I'm not going to name the player. I can't. It isn't the player already mentioned. But the manager has already identified him and carried out some background work to find out how much he would cost and what his wages would need to be. It is now down to RL or PF to take it from there. Other options are being explored. Listen, I can't say 100 per cent they will happen but it does look slightly more encouraging right now which is good.

Is the player based outside the premier league ??

Steven Defour?? i hope so, if it is!! get it done.... :)

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

Shame that, as Tonev looked to have a really good corner in the friendly against Malaga with RV scoring from it!

Personally I'd like to see it alternated between Westwood and Tonev per corner/side, maybe?

I'm not going to name the player. I can't. It isn't the player already mentioned. But the manager has already identified him and carried out some background work to find out how much he would cost and what his wages would need to be. It is now down to RL or PF to take it from there. Other options are being explored. Listen, I can't say 100 per cent they will happen but it does look slightly more encouraging right now which is good.

Is the player based outside the premier league ??

Steven Defour?? i hope so, if it is!! get it done.... :)
me too

I think it's a pretty simple thing, to be honest. As HH says, on the downside the Level of possession and quality of performance. S H I T. completely and utterly.

A number of signings don't look to be up to the level required for the prem.

We're playing as badly as we were under any previous manager.

On the upside, the place was a mess, with all the wage and attitude problems and so on. It was never going to be a quick job.

The first 11 is IMO mid table standard. The rest is relegation standard.

At the games I get the feeling (which I share) that people overwhelmingly want PL to succeed, but are losing patience, seeing so many inept home performances.

Ultimately I don't think changing the manager is the right move, at the moment, but things have to get better. For all the long term plans, creditable as they are, poor results over a sustained period means the sack

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this thread so the conversation has probably moved on.

But this post perfectly sums up my views on the matter.

I back the manager. But something needs to change.

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

Shame that, as Tonev looked to have a really good corner in the friendly against Malaga with RV scoring from it!

Personally I'd like to see it alternated between Westwood and Tonev per corner/side, maybe?

That would involve Tonev being on the pitch.

• Like 1

If we are not properly competeing in the FA cup what are we aiming for as our main goal? 17th best team in the league?

Yes, along with a number of teams. The sooner people realise this the better.
The better for whom?

The game is dying.

Fans expectations. Sadly, it died a long time ago.

Lambert is just telling the truth, like he says most other managers would say the same if they were being honest.

I'm surprised anyone is shocked by this.

That would involve Tonev being on the pitch.

Was thinking that, maybe we could just bring him on to take corners. Like in american football when the kicker comes on.

Can't belive how much the media have twisted his words. It's ridiculous.

If you listen to the interview in full he doesn't even mention villa. He's talking about other clubs.

I actually feel sorry for PL on this one.

Stupid local media looking to make a name for themselves.

Tom Ross' and Mark Regans tweets are a disgrace, totally misleading!

BTW I've noticed you can get Sheffield utd at 8/1 with some bookies. Def worth a tenner!

• Like 1

I think it's a pretty simple thing, to be honest. As HH says, on the downside the Level of possession and quality of performance. S H I T. completely and utterly.

A number of signings don't look to be up to the level required for the prem.

We're playing as badly as we were under any previous manager.

On the upside, the place was a mess, with all the wage and attitude problems and so on. It was never going to be a quick job.

The first 11 is IMO mid table standard. The rest is relegation standard.

At the games I get the feeling (which I share) that people overwhelmingly want PL to succeed, but are losing patience, seeing so many inept home performances.

Ultimately I don't think changing the manager is the right move, at the moment, but things have to get better. For all the long term plans, creditable as they are, poor results over a sustained period means the sack

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this thread so the conversation has probably moved on.

But this post perfectly sums up my views on the matter.

I back the manager. But something needs to change.

I think the only thing that needs to change is for the owner to allow some investment back into the club. And my waters are starting to feel that happening again now.

Can't belive how much the media have twisted his words. It's ridiculous.

If you listen to the interview in full he doesn't even mention villa. He's talking about other clubs.

I actually feel sorry for PL on this one.

Stupid local media looking to make a name for themselves.

Tom Ross' and Mark Regans tweets are a disgrace, totally misleading!

BTW I've noticed you can get Sheffield utd at 8/1 with some bookies. Def worth a tenner!

Even McNumpty's at it.

I suggest if anyone is shocked, angered and upset they should actually read what he's said.

• Like 1

HH why do you think Lambert doesn't give Gardner or Helen ius a run. Does he not rate them? Gardner is off contract at the end of the season. Unlike marc he isnt getting a chance to win a new deal. How can we let him go in a free?

I think it's right to rest some players for the cup games because staying in the league is the key thing yet again this season.

If  l believed what some claim that there is 0% chance of us having to fight in the relegation battle then i'd question why we didn't go all in for the FA Cup.

But as i very much fear relegation i see the logic in resting players for the league games to come.

I wouldn't think anyone in their right mind thinks there is a 0% chance of a relegation battle

• Like 1

I think it's right to rest some players for the cup games because staying in the league is the key thing yet again this season.

If  l believed what some claim that there is 0% chance of us having to fight in the relegation battle then i'd question why we didn't go all in for the FA Cup.

But as i very much fear relegation i see the logic in resting players for the league games to come.Soi w

I wouldn't think anyone in their right mind thinks there is a 0% chance of a relegation battle

So should we take the real significance of Lambert's comments as indicating he expects a relegation battle?