Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Their FA Cup run cost Wigan their place in the division so you can understand why teams who are under possible relegation threat will be apprehensive in their attitude towards it.

Their FA Cup run cost Wigan their place in the division so you can understand why teams who are under possible relegation threat will be apprehensive in their attitude towards it.

No it did not. Lack of finances cost Wigan their place in the league. They had been running the gauntlet for a good few years and finally ran out of luck. Thankfully for them they had a great cup win to soften the blow. First half of that sounds very familiar BTW.

• Like 1

No it did not. Lack of finances cost Wigan their place in the league. They had been running the gauntlet for a good few years and finally ran out of luck. Thankfully for them they had a great cup win to soften the blow. First half of that sounds very familiar BTW.

They had terrible injuries last season and thus couldn't manage between two competitions at once. Obviously, we can't say for sure whether they would've stayed up had they been knocked out of the Cup earlier but I think it is far more likely they would've.

I think the League cup run hindered our form last season, it was until we were out of both cups we improved, I think this might be playing of Lamberts mind. But even with a weakened team I expect a win, so I won't let him off.

In the old days the FA cup meant something financially. it was an extra income that helped clubs survive. nowadays it has lost the significance due to the money involved in the Premier League, The Champions league is now the second priority for clubs again because of the money and status. Unless the financial rewards or incentives are changed for the FA cup then it will soon be seen as obsolete by the big clubs. PL is right in what he says and I do not think he was talking about AV specifically but generalising.

• Like 1

The press have gone off on one about it because a Premier League manager has just come out and said what he actually thinks. Joke if you ask me.

Other managers feel the same, no doubt in my mind, they probably just not so blunt about it. Look out for the 20 Premier League starting 11s for the cup games and count how many are unchanged or only 1 or 2 changes.

I would rest all of the 11 from Sunderland because we need them for the more important January league matches.

• Like 2

Priceless!!!!

If Lambert had announced he was going full steam ahead to win the cup, you'd have been on here whinging about him jepordising our PL status by risking players.

Whatever decision he makes will provoke whinging for whinging sake. He's our manager ffs-He's doing what he thinks is best for our club. Give it a rest now-You're like a stuck record.

You may find this is why there are two polarising Lambert threads right now and screaming about it won't get you your way I'm afraid. And screaming about it won't get you your way... two polaring Lambert threads... right now...

IMO, we should have the resources at our disposal to 'stay in the division' and have a crack at the Cups... I doubt Mr Lambert would come out and say that our team will be having a serious crack at winning the FA Cup - first, it probably would make the opposition try that bit harder to finger us into submission. Second, he would end up with egg on his face if we go out on penalties in the replay at Bramhall Lane etc. And then, VT would of course hold it against him in some quarters.

You are right to a degree that he can't really win, whatever he says, and maybe, he should have just sucked a boiled sweet when asked that question. Hairyhands will no doubt be along soon to explain. But, like a stuck record, there are two polarising Lambert threads and whilst they are there, this is exactly the kind of debate that you are powerless to prevent, no matter your rage.

All I need to think about is whether or not I actually need to go to Villa Park tomorrow or not... Is it worth my while? Will the club repay my support with a team performance befitting of Aston Villa where they will actually try and win the game? Hmmmm, a conspiracy theory brewing there... Might be worth putting money on Sheff U tomorrow...

Daily Mail - Monday 6th January...

"Villa Manager in match fixing scandal..." Angry Villa fanatics etc etc...

"The FA Cup is something we can do without."

Paul Lambert.

Forget the cup runs, those days are over it seems.

We simply don't have the squad for it. Not a hugely controversial opinion, but seemingly used to beat Lambert with.

Whether it is the right thing to do or not, I think he would have been better served by dodging the question. Perhaps not having the squad for it is something that Lambert can be 'beaten' with rather than his horribly realistic comments? Or does that re-open the Lerner and MON debate?

Yeah sod it... Lerner out.

On a different tangent - we won't grow our business by getting relegated from the Premier League. It won't grow much finishing mid-table either I guess in real terms... It won't grow if we show simple contempt for the FA Cup either I would hedge.

56 years and counting...  UTV.

All he's said is that he wants to get through but the league is more important. What's wrong with that?

Ask Wigan fans what they think?

Ask Dave Whelan what he thinks... Ah...second thoughts, don't...

Still, at least he is a chairman who still cares about his club.

:ph34r:

I hope that everyone realises that PL's comments reinforce the fact that this is 'our year' for the FA Cup.

That final jigsaw piece for the middle-aged support is about to be put in place.

;)

Damn you TheTrees... You forced me to face up to the fact that I am no longer a young man :-(

I think Paul Lambert is talking a lot of sense. Yeah, it would be nice to get a cup run, but at the expense of the Premier League, no thank you.

My neighbours are either doncaster rovers, Sheffield Wednesday or Leeds fans - and they are all thoroughly depressed with their teams plight in the lower leagues. At least I still have bragging rights of being in the premiership. Please don't take that way from me Lambert.

Just more acceptance that we are in another relegation battle. While I accepted this around September, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Unless something dramatically changes, we will eventually get relegated the way we are going. Whether it be this season or next or the one after that and so on.

I think Paul Lambert is talking a lot of sense. Yeah, it would be nice to get a cup run, but at the expense of the Premier League, no thank you.

My neighbours are either doncaster rovers, Sheffield Wednesday or Leeds fans - and they are all thoroughly depressed with their teams plight in the lower leagues. At least I still have bragging rights of being in the premiership. Please don't take that way from me Lambert.

But there's always two sides of any story. There was a discussion in the WBA thread about how some of their fans enjoyed time away from the PL because they actually won games and, at the of the season, had something to celebrate.

I'm getting sick of having no hope; not of just winning the league, but of finishing as low as sixth. We play in the PL but we're a nothing club. We're aiming for zero. I'd not be over fussed if we did go down for a while. I'm not there to see the best players in the country, because I don't go to watch the opposition. I go to watch the Villa & I'd like to know what's it like to win games and taste glory again.

We could end up hanging around the lower leagues for too long, sure, but at the moment we're just making up the numbers.

I know this opinion is hugely disagreeable, but I'm

almost sick to death of going through the motions every season.

• Like 1