What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

So what’s the general consensus on best mainstream shop mince pie this year?

Ive had Aldi’s basic ones and Sainsbury’s so far, both a disappointment. Which should I get next?

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Ive had Aldi’s basic ones and Sainsbury’s so far, both a disappointment. Which should I get next?

You could make your own.  Buy a jar of mincemeat as the base, add whatever you like to jazz it up (brandy, cinnamon, whatever), buy some readymade puff pastry (all butter, not the cheap stuff), and if you have a tin for making small tarts (I'm sure there's a joke there but I'm not going to make it), just make them.  Otherwise buy such a tin for about £1.50.  Cheaper and better, and people will appreciate the effort.

Alternatively, if they don't appreciate your skills and dedication, take the top off one, crumble some hash in, replace top, eat, and then it really doesn't matter that they have spurned your culinary advances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Tesco with Courvoisier.  Six for £2.  Don't bother looking anywhere else.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Don't try McCains Gastro chips... covered in fat, so much so the baking tray had a puddle of fat after cooking.

That's why they're nice. 

In other news, baklava. 

On 09/12/2017 at 13:30, Ingram85 said:

Lidl are winning the awards for mince pies this year so I'm (reluctantly) told by the OH.

But my recommendation would be to break from tradition, and try the salted caramel mince pies from Aldi. They're incredible 

(The sloe gin ones are good too)

Right, the results are in. The only standard mince pie im yet to sample now is Lidl out of all the others from the all the big retailers.

At the tip top number one spot is the M&S bog standard is the best by far for me! Beautiful pies both hot and cold :D . Followed by Sainsbury’s special mini all butter & brandy pies. Very good. All the rest are just average and middling.

Was so so disappointed in the Tesco Finest with courvoisier ones, had high hopes for them but only had one cold so far. Hoping a heated up one with a bit of brandy cream might bring it to life.

Worst two I’ve had are Aldi’s standard and Waitrose ones. Both have way too sweet pastry, more sugar on top and virtually empty inside. Annoyed at Aldi, their bog standard mince pies are usually amongst the best every year, just uninspired this year. Haven’t tried the salted caramel ones yet but they sound a bit gimmicky :P

Just need to get some of the Lidl ones now and my mince pie odyssey is complete.

Ive done a Mac and put on a little pot belly for this experiment. I hope it’s appreciated.

Edited by Ingram85

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Stollen. 

I’ve just eaten 4 Stollen Bites from Aldi after my dinner. The specially selected ones in the gold box. Fantastic. I say 4, I meant all 10. Lovely things.

• Like 1

Â