What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I could never go vege. **** that.

Imagine life without burgers, steak and most importantly bacon.

I'm not fussed about bacon. I'll often ask to swap it for sausages on a fry up. Burgers and steak will be the test for me. Burgers more so.

22 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I know it’s only the 28th, but I haven’t eaten any meat since Christmas Day. A friend at a pre-Christmas meal told me he’d gone vegetarian because of how badly animals are treated, and it’s just stuck with me. I love animals and I’ve seen a few things on the internet that make me sick.

I admire your stance but playing devils advocate, over 900 million animals are reared for food every year (source: RSPCA) and the huge majority are looked after fine. Yes there are examples of mistreated animals that you see online and as an animal lover like you, I hate it too, but this is going to be very small percentage overall. 

I have done a bit of work in the agricultural sector (on the finance side) and it isn't in the best financial interests in the rearers to mistreat the animals. 

I tried being a veggie about 15 years back. I lasted over a year but I was tempted back with fillet steak! I think I could do it again if I needed to.

Edited by Xela

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I admire your stance but playing devils advocate, over 900 million animals are reared for food every year (source: RSPCA) and the huge majority are looked after fine. Yes there are examples of mistreated animals that you see online and as an animal lover like you, I hate it too, but this is going to be very small percentage overall. 

I have done a bit of work in the agricultural sector (on the finance side) and it isn't in the best financial interests in the rearers to mistreat the animals. 

I tried being a veggie about 15 years back. I lasted over a year but I was tempted back with fillet steak! I think I could do it again if I needed to.

Interesting stuff. I’ll have to read up on it when I get a moment. In the meantime, I’m doing no harm in cutting out meat so I’ll try to stick it out until I’ve properly educated myself. Today a friend told me to check out a documentary on Netflix called Cowspiracy. (It could all be a load of bollocks, of course).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Today a friend told me to check out a documentary on Netflix called Cowspiracy. (It could all be a load of bollocks, of course).

Or it could be a load of bullocks...;)

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Chocolate bicuits. Those really nice ones with thick chocolate coating. But from Aldi, so cheap. 

I always think Foxes do great biscuits. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty sure that's what these are, rebadged as Aldi. 

They are. My wife works for a (German) company who sell food packaging machines. The "Foxes" company, is actually a brand name, anyone can set up a biscuit factory and apply for the licence.

The factory my wife deals with makes the chocolate biscuits for all the major players, they are all the same, just badged up differently. Think Ford/Nissan/Seat 7 seater.

Cheers Nick

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Would anyone believe me if I said that Linda McCartney’s veggie sausages are really nice, and actually taste like real sausages, just without the outer casing skin stuff?

From memory, when i used to be a veggie, some of the veggie sausages were indeed great. Better than some normal sausages. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

From memory, when i used to be a veggie, some of the veggie sausages were indeed great. Better than some normal sausages. 

Before I took a bite, I was thinking that this could make or break me trying to cut out/cut down on meat. If I bit into that and it tasted like shit, then my hopes of meat substitutes would be out the window. I was very pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2017 at 19:38, Rob182 said:

Before I took a bite, I was thinking that this could make or break me trying to cut out/cut down on meat. If I bit into that and it tasted like shit, then my hopes of meat substitutes would be out the window. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I might give them a bash, because a decent sausage is hard to come by. We stopped buying them, because they were awful. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

I've just eaten two apples. No big deal I know, but it's the first time in years. Really enjoyed them, tbf. I rarely eat fruit, even though I like it. Must try and eat more. Apparantly it's good for your semen too, so it would be doing me some good. 

On 30/12/2017 at 19:28, Rob182 said:

Would anyone believe me if I said that Linda McCartney’s veggie sausages are really nice, and actually taste like real sausages, just without the outer casing skin stuff?

Bit late now but I was a pescatarian for 3 years (been normal again for 2 years now :P) and at Christmas’s I genuinely looked forward to having Linda’s Deluxe Nut Roast, it was absolutely amazing. Before I switched I always thought veggies got bored by the cliched nut roast on a Sunday dinner. I loved them. 

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit late now but I was a pescatarian for 3 years (been normal again for 2 years now :P) and at Christmas’s I genuinely looked forward to having Linda’s Deluxe Nut Roast, it was absolutely amazing. Before I switched I always thought veggies got bored by the cliched nut roast on a Sunday dinner. I loved them. 

I’ve never tried a nut roast, so I’ll have a shufty. I’ve still not eaten any meat since Christmas. It was a little awkward a couple of nights ago when I went to the inlaws for dinner, because they were having chicken and bacon stew, so that wasn’t an easy thing for me to make into a veggie meal.

Just found a massive bag of Princess pink n white marshmallows that had fell behind the cereal boxes before xmas!

Boring perhaps.. but combine it with the bag of what was Cadbury Twirl bites that the little one has left by the radiator from earlier and now a bag of chocolate liquid..    delicious combo!  :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've just eaten two apples. No big deal I know, but it's the first time in years. Really enjoyed them, tbf. I rarely eat fruit, even though I like it. Must try and eat more. Apparantly it's good for your semen too, so it would be doing me some good. 

Sainsburys Royal Gala out of the fridge are fantastic.

Â