What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

Haunch of venison, reduced from £38 to £9.50, which isn't bad to feed 6 people. some good bargains at this time of year.  Wouldn't pay full price for it though.

Doing it in a red wine sauce with onion, carrots, garlic, juniper, cloves, a touch of chilli, bay, rosemary and thyme.  Sautee potatoes with lemon and chilli, stir-fry broccoli, cauliflower and courgettes.

Should be done in time to eat before the match.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, peterms said:

Haunch of venison, reduced from £38 to £9.50

That's good value, I always thought it was a little deer...

• Haha 1

I know it’s only the 28th, but I haven’t eaten any meat since Christmas Day. A friend at a pre-Christmas meal told me he’d gone vegetarian because of how badly animals are treated, and it’s just stuck with me. I love animals and I’ve seen a few things on the internet that make me sick.

On Christmas Day I just thought, why not try to cut down on meat for a bit and see how I feel. 

Three days in, and I don’t miss it at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I know it’s only the 28th, but I haven’t eaten any meat since Christmas Day. A friend at a pre-Christmas meal told me he’d gone vegetarian because of how badly animals are treated, and it’s just stuck with me. I love animals and I’ve seen a few things on the internet that make me sick.

On Christmas Day I just thought, why not try to cut down on meat for a bit and see how I feel. 

Yea I could go veggie and I wouldn't miss meat much.

There's so much stuff to eat, meat isn't a big loss.

I think after a while though, maybe the inconvenience of it would grate?  Not sure.  Also, sometimes a good cheese burger is grandè. :-D

Yeah, if anything sees me unstuck then I think that’ll be it. It could become awkward at times. Things like going round someone’s house for a meal and having to inconvenience them.

I actually had a look through the veggie frozen section in Sainsbury’s earlier, and thought most of it looked really nice. Things like spicy bean burgers. Only a few beans and chickpeas had to get strangled to make them too!

Think I saw a tweet a few weeks ago that said over 1000 animals die a second to feed the world, that opened my eyes (if it's true, didn't fact check tbh).

Ok so I googled quickly..

56 billion animals are slaughtered every year, not including anything caught in the sea.

In the UK; 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, 14.5 million lamb/sheep, 80 million fish and 950 million birds are slaughtered.

If you went vegan, you'd 'save 198 animals a year, but they wouldn't be saved, they wouldn't be produced.

UK based Veggies 'save' 1.2-14 animals and 23 to 96 fish.

Edited by lapal_fan

47 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I went through the same feelings the other year, after seeing some horrible videos. I still eat meat though. Let's not be naive, man has been killing animals for food and warmth since time began. My problem is not eating animals, but how they are sometimes treated when being slaughtered. 

45 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

We have a vegan family member who we were seeing for christmas.  I was doing starters, which was pretty easy with assorted mezze.

The challenge was puddings, which the missus was doing.  Their family like sweet things and cream, so a plain fruit salad wasn't going to cut it.

She tried making meringue without egg whites, using the water from a tin of chick peas.  Sounds revolting, but it's a recognised recipe, and we had it at a Slow Food event and it was great.  It whipped up to look exactly like real meringue, but when cooked dissolved into a sticky pool, we don't know why.  Fail.

The success was a vegan syllabub.

Place a tin of coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours so it separates into the watery stuff and the thick stuff.  Use the watery stuff for something else, whip the thick stuff with a bit of sugar to taste and some blended fruit (she used papaya), turn into a nice serving dish and decorate with eg raspberries and almonds or whatever you like.

Our vegan chum demanded the recipe.  Winner.

• Thanks 2

Same here Ruge. I saw a tweet just last night, saying that chicks have their beaks removed without any painkillers or anaesthetic, and it showed hidden-cam footage of these poor chicks going along a conveyor belt and being ruthlessly picked up and shoved into a machine that, presumably, cuts off their beaks. It made me feel sick.

I don’t know if there is such a place, but there should be farms that guarantee that their animals live for X-amount of years (barring illness etc). I’d happily eat all meats if I knew that the cow had lived at least 15 years in a field, or whatever a decent lifespan would be for a cow. I’m sure the meat quality would be worse, but I’d take that compromise.

@lapal_fan I’m under no illusions that me stopping or cutting down on meat will save the world’s animals. But every little helps, as they say. If everyone thought ‘oh me stopping won’t make a difference’ then no-one would ever have stopped eating meat.

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Same here Ruge. I saw a tweet just last night, saying that chicks have their beaks removed without any painkillers or anaesthetic, and it showed hidden-cam footage of these poor chicks going along a conveyor belt and being ruthlessly picked up and shoved into a machine that, presumably, cuts off their beaks. It made me feel sick.

I don’t know if there is such a place, but there should be farms that guarantee that their animals live for X-amount of years (barring illness etc). I’d happily eat all meats if I knew that the cow had lived at least 15 years in a field, or whatever a decent lifespan would be for a cow. I’m sure the meat quality would be worse, but I’d take that compromise.

@lapal_fan I’m under no illusions that me stopping or cutting down on meat will save the world’s animals. But every little helps, as they say. If everyone thought ‘oh me stopping won’t make a difference’ then no-one would ever have stopped eating meat.

It's not about saving animals, because you might save a few, but it still doesn't compensate for the millions of animals that get badly treated before death. It's principal, and what you've just told me about the chicks is horrendous. If we knew the full extent of what went on, I think you would be ashamed to eat meat. There are some great people out there, but **** me, who do we think we are. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's not about saving animals, because you might save a few, but it still doesn't compensate for the millions of animals that get badly treated before death. It's principal, and what you've just told me about the chicks is horrendous. If we knew the full extent of what went on, I think you would be ashamed to eat meat. There are some great people out there, but **** me, who do we think we are. 

Yeah, I suppose you're right, it is the principal of it. I'll be the first to admit that I've not read up on the ins and outs of the world's meat consumption or the effects of what me cutting down on meat could have, but as an animal lover that likes plenty of non-meat foods, I'm just going to give it a go.

I'm a regular Twitter user, and it was 'The Humane League' that shared the hidden camera footage. I couldn't even bring myself to maximise the video. The thumbnail was enough to horrify me.

Â