What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

My daughter and her partner (the parents of the granddaughter we look after) have gone full-on vegan. No more Sunday dinners at our house for them. At least they didn't try and make us feed the little'un a vegan diet, so she gets a couple of square meals at our house every day. 

I'm hoping it's a fad. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Roast beef (rare).

Sound.

Nice accompaniment is a bit of fresh horseradish,  grated and mixed with a little creme fraiche and a spot of vinegar.

Once I bought a fresh horseradish from a supermarket, looking like a misshapen, soiled dildo (the horseradish, not me), and the young girl on checkout warily picked it up and asked me what it was.  I nobly resisted all temptation to give her some innuendo, and answered truthfully, and went away mildly proud of my self-restraint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Sound.

Nice accompaniment is a bit of fresh horseradish,  grated and mixed with a little creme fraiche and a spot of vinegar.

Once I bought a fresh horseradish from a supermarket, looking like a misshapen, soiled dildo (the horseradish, not me), and the young girl on checkout warily picked it up and asked me what it was.  I nobly resisted all temptation to give her some innuendo, and answered truthfully, and went away mildly proud of my self-restraint.

I tried to make my own horseradish sauce earlier in the summer from a shop bought root - all precautions and preparations followed (windows opened, some eye-protection on, &c.) - but it wasn't at all hot even though I'd left the chopped root exposed for the maximum time they recommended (3 mins?). So, I binned it.

I bought a horseradish plant instead and it's growing in a potato planter. I believe I'm supposed to let the first frosts get at it before lifting.

p.s. I did have veg with the beef and yorkshires (bought) and gravy (made).

Edited by snowychap

39 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I tried to make my own horseradish sauce earlier in the summer from a shop bought root - all precautions and preparations followed (windows opened, some eye-protection on, &c.) - but it wasn't at all hot even though I'd left the chopped root exposed for the maximum time they recommended (3 mins?). So, I binned it.

I bought a horseradish plant instead and it's growing in a potato planter. I believe I'm supposed to let the first frosts get at it before lifting.

p.s. I did have veg with the beef and yorkshires (bought) and gravy (made).

That's odd that the horseradish wasn't hot.  Never known that.

It's worth making your own yorkshires.  Ingredients are cheap, almost certainly cheaper than buying readymade.  You can do them in small individual dishes, but it also works to do one big one in a roasting pan.  Because they cook quickly, you can juggle the oven space with other things.  The beef needs to rest for 20 mins or more outside the oven anyway, and roast potatoes won't go cold in the time it takes to make yorkshire pud.

But do make sure to let the pan and the oil get really hot in the oven before tipping the batter in, then return it quickly to the oven and shut the door pronto.

Having said that, haven't made them for years.  Kids liked it when I did, must do it again.

Used to be a veggie for about 15 years or so and slowly drifting back to it. Spicy beanburgers are better than beefburgers. Glamorgan sausages better than pork sausages. Even my spag bol and chilli have 50% quorn type stuff in them these days.

I'm back down from eating some sort of meat every day to 'most' days. Probably about a 4 or 5 days meat / 2 or 3 days veggie split over a typical week at the moment.

i can do halloumi burgers and i can do more authentic pasta (ie pasta that you kind of dirty in a sauce rather than tipping a bucket of mince over) but after years of trying to eat quorn because of the missus not being about to eat fatty mince its just not happening, the texture is all wrong

like i said i couldnt do what id call traditional english vegetarian, meat substitutes and loads of veg but i could do it now with say Persian food, id happily eat a vegetarian meze

I've moved to Quorn for chillis, spag bols and lasagnes a lot of the time.

I can't lie, i struggle to tell the difference.

I could tell the difference if I was eating just the cooked mince. But once it's in a sauce I really can't tell.

• Like 1

Next week is my two year veganniversary. :P  I find it pretty easy, but it helps that I cook most stuff from fresh ingredients, and when we occasionally go out, Nottingham is fantastic for vegan food.There's a pub here that has a vegan menu including battered sausages, chips and curry sauce which I'd live on if I could.

Not a big fan of most of the quorn stuff (and they stick milk in it, for now, but they've said they'll be changing that), it's alright in chili and spag bol, but it's just really flavourless, so the burgers and other stuff are just a bit crap. The Linda McCartney range is fantastic though. The sausages and 'pulled pork' burgers in particular.

The GF still eats lots of cheese, but she can't cook for shit, so most of her meals end up being vegan because I'm not cooking her dairy stuff. Not sure what I'd do if we had kids, it'd take some significant nutritional research, and I wouldn't force them, but I think quite a lot of kids would want to be veggie anyway. Tell/remind someone up to the age of 8-9ish that meat is slaughtered animals, and most of them will lose their appetite, before society gradually stamps the compassion out of them. 

Edited by Davkaus

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tell/remind someone up to the age of 8-9ish that meat is slaughtered animals, and most of them will lose their appetite, before society gradually stamps the compassion out of them.

I think that's coming at it from a rather partisan angle. ;)

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Tell/remind someone up to the age of 8-9ish that meat is slaughtered animals, and most of them will lose their appetite, before society gradually stamps the compassion out of them. 

In my experience, kids that age are far more robust and matter-of-fact about it. It's the teens and twenties (particularly girls) who start to get all anthropomorphic and fussy about it. 

13 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

We're all going to be gender fluid vegans soon, our great great great grandparents would be spinning in their graves.

I know, right? First we legalise buggery and now this.

Edited by Davkaus

13 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

We're all going to be gender fluid vegans soon, our great great great grandparents would be spinning in their graves.

I'm spinning already, and I'm not even dead yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â