Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Jimzk5

Im betting on a 2-0 villa win. We have put up some dire performances in the last couple of games but crystal palace are pretty shit, if there is any game to turn out bad luck around this is it, it would do the lads confidence a world of good getting a comfortable win so im crossing my fingers. Kozak and gabby on the sheet.

I would go with this formation and pattern of play = http://tinyurl.com/km5uhnv

I would play:

-------------------Guzan------------------------

Lowton-----Clark-------Baker-------Luna

----------------Herd-----Delph---------------

Albrighton-------Weimann--------Gabby

----------------------Kozak---------------------

Our defense isn't the strongest, but not much else we can do right now. I would toughen it up by putting Herd and Delph in front of them. Herd may not be as good of a passer as Westwood, but if he keeps it simple and players get open he should do okay. His energy and battling character is what we need.

Albrighton and Gabby work hard and will give the Fb's cover. Playing Weimann in the center will help build his confidence back and hopefully get him back to where he was last season. He linked up very well with Benteke last season and I believe he can do it again.

Not knocking your selection but that is such a poor team, to be honest it's practically the same one that has almost got us relegated under McLeish and Houllier.  Average-at-best academy players sprinkled with half-decent but boring signings. 

Out of that 11 I would keep Guzan and Delph in the team with Clark and Gabby squad members at best.

Merry xmas.

Troon_Villa, I agree, but we aren't going to do much about it by Thursday. :) With the players we have available It might be the best we can do. The other option maybe bring in Gardner or KEA for Herd.

The shisha thing doesn't even slightly come into account with my own personal dislike of Ireland.

The fact he played completely ****, with zero effort, despite the continuous backing from (most) fans for about two years makes me hate him.

He's just an utter bell isn't he. Thank God McGrath, we'll never see him in a Villa shirt again.

( :offtopic: I know)

Total tosh. He scored a goal; I recollect.

An open one, yes.

----------Guzan-----------

Lowton Clark baker Luna

Albs Delph KEA Gabby

---Weimann --Kozak----

442 lambert, get it sorted.

HH gave this one a thumbs up so expect something similair. Not too chuffed about it but what else are we really going to put out there?

----------Guzan-----------

Lowton Clark baker Luna

Albs Delph KEA Gabby

---Weimann --Kozak----

442 lambert, get it sorted.

HH gave this one a thumbs up so expect something similair. Not too chuffed about it but what else are we really going to put out there?

Not effectively playing with ten men by starting Weimann would be a start.

-------------Guzan

Bacuna Herd Baker Clark

---------------KEA

Albrighton Lowton Delph Gabby

---------------Kozak

I know this may look a little daft but i'd give it a go.

Overall Bacuna has looked better defensively than Lowton. So he's at RB. Plus with him on the pitch there's hope at free kicks.

Not sure about LB. Tempted to put Luna back in but still scarred from Man U game. Could happily swap either Baker or Clark for Luna.

Lowton was one of our most creative players last season. We've had sod all creativity in middle of park all season. At least he can get involved playing in CM. I don't care that he hasn't played there before. He's good enough to adjust. And he doesn't seem to get forward and influence the game as much from RB as he did last season. Probably that pesky defensive coach.

Albrighton deserves to stay at RM and like prospect of him, Bacuna and Lowton linking up. KEA holding can allow Delph to bomb on.

Hopefully we can get a decent supply to Kozak to get a goal or 2.

Merry Xmas folks

Aston Villa are not on a good run at the moment, having lost their last three games, and that shows how quickly things change in the Premier League because before then, they went five games unbeaten.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert will not let any criticism from fans get to him but his side's home form is amongst the worst in the division and that will be a big concern to him.

Villa are much better off than they were this time last year when they lost 8-0 to Chelsea just before Christmas but their other worry is that Christian Benteke has not scored for 10 games.

Benteke has only hit four league goals this season and has not netted since 14 September

When they picked up at the start of 2013, Benteke was scoring goals from everywhere - he scored seven in eight matches from New Year's Day - and he was just unplayable. That has not happened for him this season.

Lambert's tactics and his usual 4-3-3 formation have brought more points away from home than at Villa Park but he does not have that many other options.

He is a good manager and he has not spent a fortune to build his team. He can point to the fact that when he has his first-choice front three - Benteke, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Andreas Weimann - fit and on form then they are a real handful.

But they do operate better when they are on the road and they can play on the break, which is why I have gone for a draw here.

Like Villa, Crystal Palace lost on Saturday but there is no way their manager Tony Pulis will dwell on that result. He will be straight on to working out how to get something out of this game.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Guy Mowbray's prediction: You never really know what Villa are going to produce, but they're due a win and I fancy them to nick this one late on. 2-1

Want to go to this game with a couple of relatives, but can't get 3 seats together anywhere in the holte end. Do seats ever go back on sale for any reason or have I missed the boat? Don't think I can face the boredom of the Trinity Rd.

Have you tried viagogo?

Seats do seem to sometimes re-appear on the OS ticketing site as well.