• El Ahmadi
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 71)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 71)
    • Kozák (for Benteke 85)

Stop whinging, keep spending your money, and get on with supporting the team.

Oh OK then. Thanks for that comment.

One question, did you go today?

Yep! Why? If we had lost I might have thought differently! But we didn't, we got another point and a clean sheet.

#lambertoutsacktheboardwhathaslernerdoneforuswearealldoomed

...We would have lost this one last season without a doubt...

We won 6-1....

I meant the peformance, not the same side. This team can grind out results, unlike last year in which either they played very, very well (6-1) or could well just fall apart (8-0 etc).

Some truly awful play by both sides today. 

Our passing was abysmal not for the first time. We have the 2nd lowest pass completion rate in the league. They were not much better. 

We gave the ball away on numerous occasions from dead balls which is shocking. 

Clark was great today. Out front three were not at the races. None of them look fully fit. Benteke is relying on scraps because the other two are not carrying the threat they did last year.

Our midfield today looked clueless at times. 

In the end though we didn't lose which is a positive. Our defence has improved and if we can get the front three to click again things will get better. 

MOTM has to go to one of the 2 central defenders. Did their jobs well, barring a few mishaps. Clark edges it solely because at least he tried to bring the ball out of defence to link with the midfeld.

Tonev looked good when he came on towards the end, direct and pacey (Apart from having to listen to the idiots behind me slating him from the moment he came off the bench); Really would like to see a bit more of him now he seems to have calmed down a bit.

Really do need someone with a bit of guile in that midfield though.

Credit has to go to Sunderland, they fought well for this point.

Stop whinging, keep spending your money, and get on with supporting the team.

Oh OK then. Thanks for that comment.

One question, did you go today?

Yep! Why? If we had lost I might have thought differently! But we didn't, we got another point and a clean sheet.

Just didn't think you had from your previous post. Was such a patronising statement especially after watching that dire performance

To finish mid table is good for us, that's where were at as a club, year after year we are falling even further behind the top 6 or 7 clubs, swansea who are only in their 2nd season in prem are streets ahead of us in terms of quality and same with southampton, aston villa football club is in a coma and if it aint careful we WILL eventually go down, is it any wonder we can't fill our ground for neither love or money, and that's even with cheap as hell ticket prices and multi game packages, we wernt playing a good team today we were playing the worst team in league who didn't even play that well themselves,

Villa have never, ever filled out our ground. Even under O'Neill when we came 6th 3 years on the spin we averaged between 40 to 38,000. The reasons said that we are crap at home, the football is crap, and we are never going to challenge for the title. I think this came as a nasty shock for Randy and co, as they (naively) thought that as soon as we had a decent side and with what being the biggest club in the 2nd biggest city in the UK, that we might be able to sell 40,000 seats every home game and possibly more with a expanded Villa Park. Which will never happen. Because we are as not as big as some of us hope that we are.
I agree mate, but under o'neil we had a few sell outs, don't think we have had a sell out for 2 or 3 years

Well we're harder to beat but we don't have the ability to break teams down. I do however feel we're close to clicking, just need Lambert to pull a rabbit out of the hat from somewhere! At least last season we looked quite dangerous going forward, we just need those players to click again.

A complete waste of a saturday afternoon in my opinion. I know a few people are trying to dress this up but we were shite and really should have lost the game to a side who probably should have had a penalty, hit the bar and skied a shot that my late mum could have buried. What did we create in terms of real chances (and I mean real chances)...the answer is naff all. Yes the defence looked solid, the midfield pass the ball very prettily but put under pressure by the bottom side in the league who had, prior to today, gathered a single point we sat deep and looked in trouble. We literally create f*ck all going forward. The midfield has no creativity and the strikers are so out of form and off the pace its embarrassing. I literally forgot Weimann was playing in the second half.

Oh and I realised today that Benteke has an identical twin brother. Our Benteke is shit hot at football and will score 20+ goals a season. His twin cannot control the ball, cannot shoot, makes the wrong calls all the time and is basically really shit at football. Sadly the shit twin is playing for us and Lambert has not noticed. Our Benteke is probably relaxing on a beach in Dubai. My overall impression of him is a player who is woefully out of form and probably does not give a shit. Lambert should have the balls to bench him for the next game as he offers nothing and should be made to work for his place like Lowton is having to.

It was woeful and spineless. For the last quarter Sunderland had 10 men behind the ball, clearly they were happy with a point. We could still be playing now and not have scored, that is how bad it was. The lack of any sort of creativity is both embarrassing and worrying in equal measure.

I had to laugh at the half time competition. if you managed to get the ball into the Villa crest on the target you won a season ticket for five years. Based on today I am assuming that had you got the ball anywhere else on the pitch you would have won a ticket for 10 years.

Overall it is very very worrying.

a lot of what you say is true - but to me we are closer to being a good side than we have been for a good while. True 3-2 & 2-3 of last season have gone - but that was never a basis on which build. We are workmanlike and even dour - but onto that solid platform Lambert needs to sprinkle a bit of flair - now this could come from within, Tonev, Gary Gardner, Nzogbia or more likley we will have to buy it in......

Today was really poor. No doubt about that. But a bit of perspective is needed.

1. Clean sheet.
  2. More generally, didn't look like a massive liability at the back like we have a few times this season.
  3. Unbeaten in four matches.
  4. Respectably mid-table. Right about on target for what was expected at the start of the season, in fairness.
  5. We're unlucky that all of Gabby, Weimann and Benteke are struggling for a goal.
  6. I'm glad we're "short of goals" instead of "useless at the back". It's harder to fix a crap defence.
  7. We had a few players coming back from injuries. Hopefully they'll get better with more match fitness.

Today was fairly dismal. Wouldn't change the team too much for the Southampton game though. Maybe put Lowton in at the back.

Think we should switch to a 442 so gabby can help him with his presence and stretch defence with his pace as benteke is getting triple teamed

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Westwood al madhi delph

Benteke gabby

Yeah for home matches I think we should try 4-4-2. Put Albrighton or Tonev on the wing, Delph in the centre, and KEA on the bench.

Today was really poor. No doubt about that. But a bit of perspective is needed.

1. Clean sheet.
  2. More generally, didn't look like a massive liability at the back like we have a few times this season.
  3. Unbeaten in four matches.
  4. Respectably mid-table. Right about on target for what was expected at the start of the season, in fairness.
  5. We're unlucky that all of Gabby, Weimann and Benteke are struggling for a goal.
  6. I'm glad we're "short of goals" instead of "useless at the back". It's harder to fix a crap defence.
  7. We had a few players coming back from injuries. Hopefully they'll get better with more match fitness.

Today was fairly dismal. Wouldn't change the team too much for the Southampton game though. Maybe put Lowton in at the back.

Fair points. I'd drop one of Westwood or KEA and stick Tonev in behind the striker. Or at least somebody who is likely to find some space. 4-2-3-1. We need the link man urgently. To be honest I don't know why he doesn't stick Delph in there.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

I think the 4-3-3 has worked very well at times, but no more. There's not enough width to put in crosses. When Luna or Bacuna push forward to give some width, they get caught chasing back from behind. Both of the last 2 weeks, we looked better when we shifted to the 4-4-2

Also with the 4-3-3 we continuously go long to Benteke, but every center half in the league knows it. Today, the referee decided not to call much upper body or in the back. I'm hoping that the reason Benteke looked like he just wasnt up for it today, is because, too few crosses, constant beating in the back, and no calls in his favor. There are ways to overcome this. Even ways to get the referee to call the match differently. (By player reactions after the contact)

The next biggest problem was that both teams passed to the guy in the yellow shirt far too often.

Edited by srsmithusa

Â