• El Ahmadi
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 71)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 71)
    • Kozák (for Benteke 85)

I think Beneteke is getting frustrated by constantly having to fight for chest high balls with his back to goal, three opponents around him and very little support, and getting no 50/50 decisions from the ref today.

Albrighton put in some decent crosses when he came on, and looked like his first thought every time he got the ball was to get a cross into the box, it was nice to see that positivity.

Edited by poitier

The Mcleish comparison is embarrassing - not sure how you can type it as a grown up football fan - short memories.

We paased and moved all game - the fact is our 3 forwards aren't at the races right now, and they haven't played together for a number of games.

10th in the league, unbeaten in 4, second clean sheet at home.

Typical villa fans, want lambert burnt at the stake becuase our defense is rubbish, he fixes that and they find another stick to beat him with. Embarrasment the lot of ya.

Lets sack him and start again yeah??? sick of it.

Funny, I don't remember the post which compared today's football to that of McLeish calling for Lambert to be sacked. Maybe that bit was in invisible ink.

• Like 1

Awful game.

I don't know what's wrong with Benteke, but if he was in form we'd be good enough to win games like this easily.

Sunderland defended brilliantly though. Really left us no room to play creatively even if we were capable of it.

The ref didn't help, but rather that sort of show than a red card and penalty fest imo.

The Mcleish comparison is embarrassing - not sure how you can type it as a grown up football fan - short memories.

We paased and moved all game - the fact is our 3 forwards aren't at the races right now, and they haven't played together for a number of games.

Typical villa fans, want lambert burnt at the stake becuase our defense is rubbish, he fixes that and they find another stick to beat him with. Embarrasment the lot of ya.

Funny, I don't remember the post which compared today's football to that of McLeish calling for Lambert to be sacked. Maybe that bit was in invisible ink.

The comparisons are a few pages back, try reading other peoples posts.

That was Mcleish esque. No plan B and incredibly one dimensional. 

Huh? So Lambert didn't bring on two wingers to try and get more balls out wide? Albrighton actually wiped in some good balls but his first-touch let him down when it mattered.

I'm pretty sure that's called a 'Plan B'.

Edited by The_Steve

I didn't actually think gabby was that great today, was good in flashes but some of the positions he was taking up were baffling. When he's direct and running at players, he looks threatening but isn't doing it enough in the areas that matter. No goals all season as well is pretty poor for a forward player. Vlaar MOTD for me

"It was not a classic but if you can't win a game then don't lose it." - Lambert post match.

I think after many matches that had stupid goals being conceded last season, Lambert has lent towards the defensive side.

It's not pretty but it has meant that we have been more stable, especially as our league position is concerned. As above I echo the worries that not taking points from winnable games could lead to future problems.

Poor performance that lacked any real energy or belief that we could win the game. We really do struggle to create chances and it looks like its counter attack or nothing. I thought lambert could have gone 4-4-2 a bit earlier as it was obvious much earlier in the second half that 4-3-3 wasn't working. We badly need some creativity in the side. As for people giving out about benteke's work rate, pretty sure it's never been that great and certainly never consistent over 90mins. He just needs a goal.

It's actually because we have a shite manager who has purchased shite players

I don't know how anyone can actually believe this.

Then you must be wearing blinkers.

Concievably we could end this weekend in the top 10 after 13 games this season. Not bad and certainly not shite.

The comparisons are a few pages back, try reading other peoples posts.

Maybe my post was a bit too subtle for you to understand. Here are the comparisons with Mcleish:

Mcleish esque.

Has to be said were easily as bad if not worse at home under lambert than we were under mcleish in terms of style and results. 

It's actually because we have a shite manager who has purchased shite players

I don't know how anyone can actually believe this.

Because the football is dreadful?  Today was woeful, as bad as anything McLeish would have served up. 

On the back of this, you launched a rant about how people are calling for Lambert to be burnt at the stake, sacked, etc.

My simple point was that no-one in any of those posts called for Lambert to be burnt at the stake or sacked, so your rant is completely baseless.

Is that clear enough?

We had some key players looking very rusty at best out there.  Delph has just come back into the team and was not his normal, influential self. Weimann was ineffective and Benteke has looked cumbersome and ineffective all season.

Of them all, Gabby looked the brightest.

I'd really like to see Lowton come back just so Bacuna can move up into midfield, but 4 clean sheets in the last 7 suggests he may be needed at RB, as he's a big part of those clean sheets.

We're a stale team, with little appetite for passing, moving and creating space. I've long thought our players suffer from a poor first touch - long before Lambert joined - thus requiring more time on the ball to invite the opposition to press us.  Combine that with poor passing we're never going to be very cohesive in our play.

Overhit / misguided/ underhit passes and a poor first touch is a rotten combo.  Compare that to some of the moves that teams like Arsenal put together.  Add in the lack of someone with good dribbling and close control skills and you're always going to struggle against teams that park the bus.

Our best weapon, Benteke, is in woeful form so it's hard to see where a goal was coming from today.

• Like 1

Â