• El Ahmadi
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 71)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 71)
    • Kozák (for Benteke 85)

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread or the match thread, but the amount of time that Sunderland wasted when it came to any sort of dead ball situation was atrocious. Especially towards the end of the game, it was so noticeable. 

They were time wasting and had 10 men behind the ball for most of the last quarter of the game. They clearly were happy with a point which does not surprise me in the slightest.

Just watching match of day, they were really unlucky not to win,

Not really. They are the most negative team in the league. Park the bus and hit long balls upfield. Horrible little team, if anything, our inability to break down 10 men behind the ball cost us. Draw was fair.

Team needs to improve but there are some fairly typical overreactions on here.

Agree with this, yes they had the beat chance and hit the bar but to me they never looked like scoring. The only team that was going to win was us but we failed to create any clear cut chances.

Just in case anyone thought Aston Villa had a monopoly on fans who have ridiculous expectations of their manager, this from the BBC Live thread:

Shaun in Scotland: Liverpool have been absolutely shocking today, a total disgrace. The game has been slipping away. Brendan Rodgers should have made the changes to stop it and failed to do so and has paid for it. Rodgers' inexperience is why Liverpool wont be in the top four.

Yup that is just another form of Villa fans moaning.

sunderland came for a point..they got it 

the ref was poor

did we get a shot on target? i carnt remember keeper making a save,guzan made a good save in second half

gabby did well but no end product, cb needs a goal

midfield lacks a football brain,

ww go again etc

I voted Vlaar MOM - thought he was very good again. Clark also good. Westwood was more noticeable in this game, which is better. Agbonlahor and Weimann provided their usual energy, but with little end result. Benteke and Delph were poor, and I think are still recovering from their injuries.

I agree with Rudgeley Villa - Sunderland should have won it - hit the bar and missed a two yard sitter.

The worrying thing for me is that we have been incredibley lucky in the last few games, and we need to start playing much better as a team, as we cannot rely on our luck to see us through.

Watching other games, we look like a pretty unskilled bunch, heavily reliant on hoof and hope.

the ref was poor

did we get a shot on target? i carnt remember keeper making a save,guzan made a good save in second half

ww go again etc

We had 13 shots with 4 of them on target, none of them tested their keeper though.

Pl was right in his interview, if you can't win a game then don't lose it.

the ref was poor

ww go again etc

We had 13 shots with 4 of them on target, none of them tested their keeper though.

Or if you can't win a game, find out why and fix it.

the ref was poor

ww go again etc

Or if you can't win a game, find out why and fix it.

Which he tried to do but it didn't work this time.

There are so many opinions on here that have some kind of validity....yesterday's game was poor, the point was good for Sunderland and 2 dropped for us.

There are many opinions of mitigation, players injured, lack of funds, a developing team.

In terms of league position/results we are improving, but in other terms like performance, I'm less convinced, sure we have relied so much on Benteke who has inadvertently masked over our more deeper rooted problems and is now a shadow of the player who was doing this for us.

Our home form has been a concern during periods of so many managers, even during the days of Martin O'Neill our home form was poor in comparison to our league position which was decent.

There has been criticism on here of some of our expectations and yes we are all clear that funds right now are not in abundance, but let's be clear what some of the critics are really saying.

It is clear Paul Lambert has had to address a leaky defence and only he , as a football manager knows best how to do that. I am not here to challenge that as I'm not qualified to do so...it appears he has done that and has an offensive problem to contend with.

There are so many variable that we could all argue the toss about all night and still get no further forward and not to be too cynical, but all the failing managers seem to muster up a good mitigating argument during their tenure.

Going back to expectations, from us the spectators....my major concern is that during a game there are so many instances of the basics missing, I could go on and on , but any fan with a trained eye, will see for themselves.

Despite moving players out and new ones in, the missing basics remain....as the old saying goes " you change the bowler but you don't change the bowling"

We have been having these debates for so long and from the first few games of the season it appears to me in terms of basics we have got worse, yes we have stopped conceding soft goals in general, not necessarily specifically as the Albion game proved, but our overall decision making, running off the ball, keeping possession and playing with an air of authority and intelligence is in short supply.

I like lots on here have been fully in support of Paul Lambert, but we can' t keep accepting some of the stale views from him of poor performance.

I' m not an authority on how long these things take, but I' m equally not a fool to think they are to be accepted forever.

We have had a series of managers saying the similar things and the duty we provide to give them time can be lost on us eventually....when the " sorry I failed " sign goes up....just like the one Martin Jol.

So what am I looking for .....a bit of player development, that I could see clearly watching Ron Saunders face a similar challenge to Paul Lambert....trying to get young players like LIttle and Gray,Deehan,Shaw and Cowans competing against the mighty LIverpool and the exquisite Ipswich, lead by some of the smartest brains in football Bob Paisley and the much revered Bobby Robson.... A bit of the basic skills associated with top flight football, like a ball driven rather than scuffed, a cross with purpose rather than just an exercise, a bit of pro activity rather than reactivity.

Guys, this home form of 11wins in 44 is not all down to Paul Lambert, but he has the responsibility to change it.

• Like 1

There are so many opinions on here that have some kind of validity....yesterday's game was poor, the point was good for Sunderland and 2 dropped for us.

There are many opinions of mitigation, players injured, lack of funds, a developing team.

In terms of league position/results we are improving, but in other terms like performance, I'm less convinced, sure we have relied so much on Benteke who has inadvertently masked over our more deeper rooted problems and is now a shadow of the player who was doing this for us.

Our home form has been a concern during periods of so many managers, even during the days of Martin O'Neill our home form was poor in comparison to our league position which was decent.

There has been criticism on here of some of our expectations and yes we are all clear that funds right now are not in abundance, but let's be clear what some of the critics are really saying.

It is clear Paul Lambert has had to address a leaky defence and only he , as a football manager knows best how to do that. I am not here to challenge that as I'm not qualified to do so...it appears he has done that and has an offensive problem to contend with.

There are so many variable that we could all argue the toss about all night and still get no further forward and not to be too cynical, but all the failing managers seem to muster up a good mitigating argument during their tenure.

Going back to expectations, from us the spectators....my major concern is that during a game there are so many instances of the basics missing, I could go on and on , but any fan with a trained eye, will see for themselves.

Despite moving players out and new ones in, the missing basics remain....as the old saying goes " you change the bowler but you don't change the bowling"

We have been having these debates for so long and from the first few games of the season it appears to me in terms of basics we have got worse, yes we have stopped conceding soft goals in general, not necessarily specifically as the Albion game proved, but our overall decision making, running off the ball, keeping possession and playing with an air of authority and intelligence is in short supply.

I like lots on here have been fully in support of Paul Lambert, but we can' t keep accepting some of the stale views from him of poor performance.

I' m not an authority on how long these things take, but I' m equally not a fool to think they are to be accepted forever.

We have had a series of managers saying the similar things and the duty we provide to give them time can be lost on us eventually....when the " sorry I failed " sign goes up....just like the one Martin Jol.

So what am I looking for .....a bit of player development, that I could see clearly watching Ron Saunders face a similar challenge to Paul Lambert....trying to get young players like LIttle and Gray,Deehan,Shaw and Cowans competing against the mighty LIverpool and the exquisite Ipswich, lead by some of the smartest brains in football Bob Paisley and the much revered Bobby Robson.... A bit of the basic skills associated with top flight football, like a ball driven rather than scuffed, a cross with purpose rather than just an exercise, a bit of pro activity rather than reactivity.

Guys, this home form of 11wins in 44 is not all down to Paul Lambert, but he has the responsibility to change it.

Good post TRO, a very honest assessment of where we are and where we need to go.

Not really. They are the most negative team in the league. Park the bus and hit long balls upfield. Horrible little team, if anything, our inability to break down 10 men behind the ball cost us. Draw was fair.

Agree with this, yes they had the beat chance and hit the bar but to me they never looked like scoring. The only team that was going to win was us but we failed to create any clear cut chances.

Hmmm... So they hit the bar and had the best chance of scoring, but never looked like scoring?

However, we were probably the only team that could win it, but never created any clear chances.

...Makes sense.

Another week goes by and another week where I think how the hell are we where we are playing the football we are.  We are so awful at the moment, that I think the saving grace has actually been our defence and some important goals from midfield. We play with no fluidity, make basic mistakes and cannot put a basic passing move together.  I cannot believe that we can stay a premier league team playing the way we are. 

• Like 1

Brilliant objective fair post.  :thumb:

The bit that upsets me most about lambert is the dire narrow tactics. You'd of thought after last season he'd have learned indeed from Feb on he changed it and it began to pay dividends but now we are having to go through the pain again. The tactics don't work and it is very worrying that lambert doesn't appear to grasp this.

Hmmm... So they hit the bar and had the best chance of scoring, but never looked like scoring?

However, we were probably the only team that could win it, but never created any clear chances.

...Makes sense.

It does make sense. Despite those chances I honestly sat there and wasn't worried about them scoring. They came for a point, we were the only teams going to win it.

On a lucky day for sunderland they would of scored that open goal, got penalty and that shot would of hit the underside of the bar and gone in. If it was a lucky day for us what would of happend?? Those couple of half chances might of sneaked in. Sunderland played for the draw but were unlucky with those chances not going in. Draw was a fair result at end of day. Neither team really done enough to claim victory

Â