What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

13 days on citalopram and little anxiety and no panic attacks, thought I was over the worst of them until yesterday afternoon had an huge panic attack, knocked me about for the rest of the day, hardly slept because of it and now I've spent all day anxious about having another panic attack

its a viscous circle and when its like this it's really impacting on my life, FFS I had walk out of asda earlier because I kept thinking "what if I have a heart attack here"

i know these tablets take some time to work but right now I feel worse than i ever did

Things can and will get better. The first step is realising something is wrong and the second step is doing something about it, you've already done this and are on the way to feeling better. Don't forget that. Not all treatments work for everybody, give it a try and don't give up on it but if you are really struggling in a few weeks then talk to your doctor about it. Just make sure you keep taking them until you are your doctor find something else to try.

Don't let the panic attacks get you down. My last one (that I can remember at least) was the worst I have ever had and came when I thought that I was on an upward curve. It affected me so much that people tried to call an ambulance for me as they thought I was having a heart attack or something. It really scared me and took me a while to get over, not just mentally but physically too. But that was over a year ago now and I am an awful lot better today. You will get better too if you keep working on it and talking to people about it.

I've been thinking of seeing my GP at some point. I saw my GP about depression about 3 years ago. Ended up with medication, which was crap, and seeing a therapist. That didn't really solve anything as I've never really felt that talking can. After that, I was then referred to another who - after seeing her twice - did not call to schedule my next appointment and did not respond to my calls. That was about 18 months ago I have no idea what seeing my GP is going to achieve though and I imagine I'm just going to be stuck feeling like this forever. Seems like medication and therapy is not for me and I've no idea what else is out there.

My grandmother has dementia. She's had it for a couple of years, but was managing at home just about okay. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she tried to get out of her chair while holding her cup of tea and fell and gave herself a black eye. She wouldn't get up, claiming a bad back, and my mum called an ambulance. She went off to hospital, and they've declared her unsafe to go home, so she's had to be put in an old people's home dementia unit for three weeks while me and my parents are off in Canada for my wedding. 

I went to visit her on Saturday, for a last time before leaving. She was in the dementia living room. I don't think I've ever been in a more soul-sapping place. One guy was just shouting, chuntering on, demanding to know where his car/keys/coat/brother could be located. He never stopped in the thirty minutes we sat there. Even worse was another woman. She just screamed for about twenty seconds, every two or three minutes. Just silence, then a brief blood-curdling scream. I don't think I've ever felt so unhappy. 

9 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've been thinking of seeing my GP at some point. I saw my GP about depression about 3 years ago. Ended up with medication, which was crap, and seeing a therapist. That didn't really solve anything as I've never really felt that talking can. After that, I was then referred to another who - after seeing her twice - did not call to schedule my next appointment and did not respond to my calls. That was about 18 months ago I have no idea what seeing my GP is going to achieve though and I imagine I'm just going to be stuck feeling like this forever. Seems like medication and therapy is not for me and I've no idea what else is out there.

If you're looking for answers outside the system, I might try cannabis if I was you. I hadn't smoked weed in ages before a couple of weeks ago, and it's made feel better about things and more positive and social and at ease with myself. 

But Kurtis, whatever you do, don't stop seeking help for it. One med might work where another didn't, keep looking and researching.

Good luck

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

My grandmother has dementia. She's had it for a couple of years, but was managing at home just about okay. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she tried to get out of her chair while holding her cup of tea and fell and gave herself a black eye. She wouldn't get up, claiming a bad back, and my mum called an ambulance. She went off to hospital, and they've declared her unsafe to go home, so she's had to be put in an old people's home dementia unit for three weeks while me and my parents are off in Canada for my wedding. 

I went to visit her on Saturday, for a last time before leaving. She was in the dementia living room. I don't think I've ever been in a more soul-sapping place. One guy was just shouting, chuntering on, demanding to know where his car/keys/coat/brother could be located. He never stopped in the thirty minutes we sat there. Even worse was another woman. She just screamed for about twenty seconds, every two or three minutes. Just silence, then a brief blood-curdling scream. I don't think I've ever felt so unhappy. 

Sad to hear that, HV, sounds like a real bitch of a situation. I hope she's alright, and I hope everything goes smooth with your wedding, I didn't know you were about to take the plunge. All the best to you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, been debating whether to post this or not, but here goes...

Bit of background... I work in a stressful job. I'm not complaining as I am remunerated sufficiently, and for the last few years its not been an issue. I class myself as being able to work under pressure quite well and as I have a very laid back attitude, people assume I'm fine. However, if you constantly achieve your targets year in year out, you just get given bigger and harder targets. Last year was a challenge and it was a real battle to do what I needed to do figure wise (I work in sales BTW) but I did it. During the year I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which although not confirmed, experts think stress can trigger it. 

After a tough year last year my target was increased again, substantially, to an almost unachievable level, This combined with less support staff in the office to assist me and the huge amount of bureaucracy I now have to wade through in terms of compliance and governance has made my job almost impossible to do. I do feel as though I am now doing the job of two full time people and as I am slightly off plan at the minute (not by much to be fair) senior management are putting the pressure on as well. Its started to effect me in the office. I get far more agitated, I can feel my heart racing when I'm there, my mouth is dry and I know if someone says the wrong thing to me I am going to flip in the office and throw things around. That is so not me, people have always commented on how calm I am doing my job in the past, but now, I feel as though I''m on the edge and the slightest thing could trigger me off. 

I guess I am suffering from stress? Or do I just need a long holiday?! 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I guess I am suffering from stress?

Yes.

Edit: Apologies for the terse original answer.

It sounds as though you might be reaching the end of your time in your job - stress or no stress when you're effectively left to fend for yourself in the way you describe, it doesn't matter how well remunerated you are both in terms of the effect upon you and the prospects for the future, A long holiday may work but you'll probably improve when you acknowledge that the time may be right to move somewhere better suited and that better realizes your worth (that's not always in terms of cash!).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

That sounds horrible and you're being pushed to breaking by bosses who probably could not give less of a shit about the well-being of their employees beyond making them money.

• Like 1

You need to either redress things at work, or you need to find another job. You shouldn't have to put yourself through that and if it is affecting your health, your priority needs to change. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Bit of background... I work in a stressful job. I'm not complaining as I am remunerated sufficiently, and for the last few years its not been an issue. I class myself as being able to work under pressure quite well and as I have a very laid back attitude, people assume I'm fine. However, if you constantly achieve your targets year in year out, you just get given bigger and harder targets. Last year was a challenge and it was a real battle to do what I needed to do figure wise (I work in sales BTW) but I did it. During the year I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which although not confirmed, experts think stress can trigger it. 

After a tough year last year my target was increased again, substantially, to an almost unachievable level, This combined with less support staff in the office to assist me and the huge amount of bureaucracy I now have to wade through in terms of compliance and governance has made my job almost impossible to do. I do feel as though I am now doing the job of two full time people and as I am slightly off plan at the minute (not by much to be fair) senior management are putting the pressure on as well. Its started to effect me in the office. I get far more agitated, I can feel my heart racing when I'm there, my mouth is dry and I know if someone says the wrong thing to me I am going to flip in the office and throw things around. That is so not me, people have always commented on how calm I am doing my job in the past, but now, I feel as though I''m on the edge and the slightest thing could trigger me off. 

No amount of money can buy you health, as you know. 

It sounds from the outside like your company are pumping you hard precisely because you're so valuable to them. Have you tried confronting them about your health concerns? If you genuinely don't mind leaving the job anyway you might find that a 'cards on the table' moment leads to a better offer in terms of your workload. It sounds like you're more valuable to them than they are to you, when your health is factored in. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2016 at 00:42, HanoiVillan said:

She passed away last weekend. 

I was just getting on a plane to return from Canada when she passed.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Obviously there's something preventing you from going in to your bosses and explaining to them that you're doing the job of two people now and they're making it near impossible for you to achieve the figures they're after. Identify what that is, and whether or not it's a real barrier, or something that is bigger in your head than reality. Ideally you wouldn't go in leading with it having an effect on your mental health, at least not in so many words. So you have options that you're aware of. Finding another job is one, or telling your bosses that unless your working conditions improve, you will be handing in your notice; that's another. The latter option seems preferable. I don't think a holiday is the answer. 

As for the trigger thing. That sounds like an anxiety disorder which is often treated with anti-depressants. I'm not saying that you should be medicated, I'm just saying that the symptoms you've described could be considered part of a generalised anxiety disorder, and therefore treated with medication. Or therapy. Or both. What I'm saying is that it's not something to be taken lightly, because eventually that levee could break and you may not just be throwing staplers around, but maybe your fists. And that would be more problematic. See your GP if it continues. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry to hear that Hanoi. That dementia living room sounds really awful. What a totally inappropriate setting for people with dementia who are already confused to be surrounded by other people with dementia that they don't know who are acting bizarrely. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YLN said:

Sorry to hear that Hanoi. That dementia living room sounds really awful. What a totally inappropriate setting for people with dementia who are already confused to be surrounded by other people with dementia that they don't know who are acting bizarrely. 

Ta mate. Yeah it certainly startled me. We had got her accepted into a nicer home, with better dementia facilities, but as luck would have it they got norovirus just before she moved in. 

13 hours ago, Xela said:

This is similar to why I originally had problems with depression and anxiety and I was always on the edge of quitting for about a year. I stayed as I thought I was being stupid and was afraid thta oeaving might make things worse. Having now been away from there for a year I am starting to feel not just like myself again but as a stronger person for having been through everything. If I could go back I would have left that job a lot sooner as mental health comes first and there are employers out there who care about their employees. High pressure jobs can be stressful, but good employers support you through this not make it worse. You have to find a balance, it's not just work hard, play hard; but also rest hard. Don't let this job make you burn out, you deserve better than that.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry to hear this. My Gran died about 15 months ago after battling Parkinsons and dementia for years.

If you ever want to chat feel free to pm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been off Sertraline for almost 18 months. Relapsed pretty hard in the last month and my anxiety is worse than ever. Had a huge panic attack at work meaning I had to leave early.

Going back on pills probably.

Hate it. I hate feeling like I'm going to drop dead at any second.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Been off Sertraline for almost 18 months. Relapsed pretty hard in the last month and my anxiety is worse than ever. Had a huge panic attack at work meaning I had to leave early.

Going back on pills probably.

Hate it. I hate feeling like I'm going to drop dead at any second.

These things can come in circles, you will feel better again in time. 

Hang in there and good luck with it. 

Â